“A gem, especially for the price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bluff Shoal Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Bluff Shoal Motel
Save Saved
You added Bluff Shoal Motel to your Saves list
306 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
washington state
“A gem, especially for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Retro strip motels can be hit or miss on quality and cleanliness. Bluff Shoal was a hit! Situated right on the main street, everything is within a mile and the rooms were clean and surprisingly roomy. you can either sit on the porch in front of your room and people watch or go out back and watch the sun set from the chairs on the bay. We wish we could have spent more time. The staff was very friendly as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kodak, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I just tried calling this motel to make a reservation. It appeared my call dropped 3 times (it just quit ringing) so I called back again each time after a few minutes. The gentleman finally answered on the 4th call and instead of politely askinng if I could call back a little later as he was busy, he just said "you're calling at a bad time & I don't like your introduction either" ( I assume because I called back several times thinking my call had dropped). So I will not be booking at this motel despite what previous reviews say because I didn't like his customer service introduction either!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wayne G, Manager at Bluff Shoal Motel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
The management apologizes for the misunderstanding. The phone call was dropped 3 times and since there was no human voice response on our end of the line, I hung up the phone. I honestly thought this was a solicitation call through an automated-robotic phone system and not a person on the line. The caller-id was also listed as an unknown caller. If I felt there was an actual person on the line, I would not have hung up. Please accept my apologies.
Manteo, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. I loved my stay here and would definitely stay again. When we arrived there was a problem with the air conditioner in our room. Not only was it fixed promptly, but the management was also incredibly friendly and nice. The rooms were modest, but incredibly clean (something that is VERY important to me when staying in a hotel). The hotel is in a great location and close to most of Ocracoke's main attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at Bluff Shoals for my second night in O'coke. I could not get a room two nights in a row but they had a Friday night open. LOVED it! Old school kind of room. Clean and comfortable as can be. No AC needed when I was there and good cross ventilation with open, screened windows. I could see the harbor from the back window. This place seems to be at the center hub of the village. I parked my car and never moved it. Had my bike which I could keep near the steps (but not up by the railing). In the evening, you can sit on the white wood chairs outside and hear the live music over at Dajio. It has only what you need and not anymore - really simplifies your stay. I'm already planning how I can stay a week there next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Havelock, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Had friends visiting from England so wanted to spend a couple days on the Outer Banks. This motel is nicely located near the ferry and places to eat. The motel will remind you of the early 60's with parking in front of your door. The rooms are basic but have cable tv. We liked sitting in the backyard over looking Silver Lake and having the lighthouse as a beacon late into the night.

Staff was very friendly would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I decided we wanted to go on a nostalgic little getaway for a few days. Leaving from Charleston, SC we drove up US 17 known as the Ocean Highway. Stopped at Little River SC for the night and took a casino boat for a diversion.
The next leg we continued up the coast of NC and took a 2 hour ferry boat over to the lower NC outer bank island of Orcacoke where we found this quaint little 7 room motor court. The room was typical 1950 - 60's and exceptionally clean and comfortable. It is located in the heart of the village and on Silver Lake. Silver Lake is really a small bay that goes out to the ocean where the southern ferry arrives.
A car is only needed if you want to explore the entire upper part of the island to see the horses or go on a day trip further up see the Wright Brothers area. Other than that the bicycles were perfect to explore all that Ocracoke village has to offer. We found great little shops on the back roads of the village. The lighthouse on one end and the museum on the other end of the village near the ferry boat landing were a treat. A wonderful restaurant right across the street from the motel became our favorite even though we enjoyed several other restaurants as well.

Sitting on the dock at midnight overlooking the boats with a bottle of wine and a fine cigar was the most relaxing hours for us. The ice-cream and coffee shops across the street were so friendly. This may well become one of our most memorable short trips that we will cherish forever. And yes, even though it is a throwback to the 60's they have WIFI.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the righthand side as you face the motel. The dock will be right behind the ro...