“My favorite place in the world!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Harborside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Harborside Motel
You added The Harborside Motel to your Saves list
229 Irvin S Garris Hwy, Ocracoke, NC 27960   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Columbus, Ohio
“My favorite place in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been going to Ocracoke for the past 40 years and have stayed at the Harborside Motel at least 30 times over my lifetime. I started when I was 7 years old and now I'm 47 and am now bringing back my own family. The owners Corky and Susan have watched me grow up and now my children. They make the experience one that brings me back to my childhood over and over again. The Motel is quaint, clean and everyone is so friendly and welcoming. Cindy and Gayle in the office greet you when you check in and welcome you. We wouldn't stay at another Motel on the Island. THe Motel is in the heart of Ocracoke and a perfect place for any family, couple or single person. We highly recommend The Harborside Motel.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Damascus, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have stayed at the Harborside several times over the last 10 years. I always look for other places to stay, including getting "mini-vacations" at houses managed by the local real estate companies, but I continue to stay their because of the value. The Harborside is kept clean, in relatively good repair, and for around $100/night it is the best value I have found on the island.

The location, right across the street from Silver Lake is attractive. They maintain a dock, with old sitting chairs, where my family and I spend the early morning hours drinking our coffee and watching the minimal activity on the Lake. It is so peaceful and beautiful that first hour of the day is worth the price of the room.

This year we rented two rooms, including one in the cottage, and not only got to sit on the dock in the morning, but also the front porch enjoying the street activity while we took turns showering from the day's activiites. It was fun, with a nice breeze and just enough bustle to keep it interesting watching families go by on bicycles, or in golf carts. The many families of ducks that make this place home were also good entertainment (watching them cross the street to the Lake was enough suspense.) The cats in the area, which seem to ignore the ducks, were also entertaining.

The rooms had all of the essentials, and the beds were clean and comfortable (firm). The morning continental breakfast was enough for us - coffee, juice, tea, english muffins, small pastries, and instant oatmeal -- but not particularly compelling. Maid service was fine.

In short, the Harborside gives you a clean, comfortable place to stay with several amenities that make it special. All at a reasonable price. The rest of the magic is supplied by the Island itself.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have been staying at the Harborside Motel (efficiency apartment) for over 10 years. I used to camp at the National Campgrounds, but the ground got harder as I got older. Located on the harbor of Silver Lake, this hotel is convenient to all shops and restaurants in Ocracoke. Older property, it is not the Ritz-Carlton, but priced at around $100 per night, even during peak season it is reasonable for an extended stay. Daily housekeeping is excellent. There is a great deck extending over the waterfront where you can watch the activity on the harbor, and gaze at the stars at night. A great balcony in front of the rooms, shaded in the mornings, excellent for reading and watching the morning activities.

Room Tip: I prefer the efficency units, two beds, stovetop, cupboards/drawers with utensils/cooking pans/dishe...
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The staff of Harborside Motel & Gift Shop will make you feel at home the instant you enter to check in. Always friendly and efficient, they go beyond the service level you can expect at most beach rentals. The rooms in the motel (16) and the cottage (2) are very clean, neat, and comfortable; the grounds are well maintained. The porch on the cottage is the main drawing card in my selection of a room there versus the motel where the rooms are larger; the view of the lake and the people watching are superb (although I do wish the snack stand across the street was perpendicular to the road.)

The cottage rooms feature a queen size bed and a refrigerator; although these rooms are cozy they are not cramped. In the motel rooms are spacious and also have a covered porch. Most of the extended family stays there; we always book at least one of the efficiencies.

Harborside is well located so that walking to restaurants and shops is easy. To me relaxing at the beach has a name: the Harborside in Ocracoke.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are more private but smaller. The motel rooms make it easy to socialize. Beds are...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
clay aity, ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have stayed here on two different visits to Ocracoke and really have enjoyed it . It is a clean, cozy motel with a wonderful front porch overlooking the harbor. The owners are very friendly and helpful and I would stay there anytime I visit. You can walk to all the attractions in the village or rent a bicycle to ride around town. Ocracoke Island is one of the most unique places that I have visited. I cherish the special memories of trips here and staying at the Harborside!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hixson, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We just returned from our third trip to Ocracoke, and it was definitely our best visit. From the beginning, when we booked the three day visit at Harborside, Gail, in the front office, was so friendly and helpful. I had to call her several times with questions and not once did she make me feel like a pest. When we got to the island, her husband, Bill, even picked us up from the airport!

When we arrived at the motel, we thought that our bikes, which we had rented ahead of time through a bike rental company on the island, had not arrived. Cindy, from the Harborside front office as well, called the rental company AFTER HOURS and tracked down our bikes for us!

Aside from the friendly service and helpfulness from the staff at Harborside, we couldn't have been happier with our room. It was very clean and perfect for our long weekend get-away. Even though the motel was at full capacity, we didn't have one problem with noise or aggravation. One night we even sat outside of our room on the porch and enjoyed the summer thunderstorm!

We also loved the fact that Harborside is located directly across the street from the harbor. The motel even owns a private deck filled with chairs where you can enjoy the sunset (or sunrise!)

We will definitely stay at Harborside for our next visit to Ocracoke. We have been home for three days and miss it already!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

The only redeeming quality of the "cottage" rooms 17-18 is the private porch. You don't even get a good look of the harbor because the owners have used a vacant lot next door to house they'rslept e little treat stand. Which, in my opinion, has the best raspberry white chocolate scone I have ever had. The room is very small, and the bed is easiest the worst bed I ever slept on. Abd, it just didn't feel clean. Not that it wansn't, it was just in a, very old building, and you could feel it all around you.We stayed in this room for three nights, then were moved to room 9, a king room on the top corner end of the main motel. Now this is the room we wished we had reserved. This room was much bigger, fresh smelling, had a better view, a MUCH better bed, and a tv with a built in DVD player. A nice feature in Ocracoke, where the sidewalks get rolled up at 930 every night. If you stay in room nine, or request it make sure you ask if the ac has been fixed, trust me. It was so loud, it woke us up everytime it came on. Just to make it clear, we did enjoy our stay, and will stay here again, but this time in the main building, and only in room nine if the ac has been fixed.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Harborside Motel? Share your experiences!