“come as you are and have some fun” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   310 E 1st Street, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Fort Lewis, Washington
“come as you are and have some fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is where you want to go to avoid the tourist trap of myrtle beach. It was very nice here and hope that you enjoy it as well. Very friendly staff all around. There are less people here and those that are here are much more friendlier. Unfortunately there are not so many restaurants to choose from. So save your money by cooking your own meals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MarketingMan310, Marketing Director at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and with other travelers. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff and our less crowded beaches. One of the great aspects about staying with us is that many of our rooms do come with a full kitchen so you can cook your own meals and save some money.

However, we do also have several restaurants in the Ocean Isle Area that offer a great variety of foods (not just seafood!) including Sharky’s Waterfront Restaurant (surf themed décor with great food), Roberto’s (specializing in great steaks and of course – Italian dishes & pizza), Causeway Gourmet, Sugar Shack (authentic Jamaican restaurant), The Boundary House (in nearby Calabash that has a little bit of everything) and many more.

Our front desk is always happy to help with suggestions and they also keep copies of selected menus around to help. We appreciate your comments and we hope to have you to stay with us again soon!

Director Of Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just came back from The Winds. My wife did all the planning and she booked this place based on the reviews. Now that I'm back I'm reading these reviews for the first time. If your looking for a place that has a lively night life and a crowded boardwalk, stay in your car and drive to Myrtle This place is a nice laid back place to enjoy the ocean without being inundated with thousands of people grappling for a spot on the beach. We had five kids with us and they all had a great time. We had a room that had two bedrooms and a pull out sofa bed. We never felt cramped or claustrophobic at all. Besides you don't come to the beach to stay in your room. Two issues that I want to address before I continue is the bug issue and George the bartender I see some people say that they found cockroaches. This is completely false. What they saw were harmless palmetto bugs. The farther South you go in the US, the more palmetto bugs you see. People are acting like they were swarmed by these bugs. That's nonsense. I saw a total of three in my room in Seven days. Big deal. These bugs are completely harmless. Also, I saw a few reviews in regard to the rudeness of George the bartender. This is also false. George is a "loud talker". He is gregarious. The kids at pool,including mine, loved him. I have a child with a bone disease which required me pushing him at times in a wheelchair. George would leave the bar to walk over to us to give him shaved ice. He did this everyday he worked. He also did this for all the able bodied kids their as well if they asked him. I struck up conversations with at least three families and each of these families have been coming to the winds for 15 years. That's a testament to this place. The rooms were clean,though a lil musty. But they have dehumidifiers in the room to remove it. Again that's what happens when your two steps from the beach on 90 degree days walking into and air conditioned room. It's bound to happen. Breakfast, well, was breakfast. If you want to go to breakfast somewhere else and pay for eggs,sausage,English muffins, bacon,milk,juice etc have at it. I figured this buffet saved me at least 200 bucks with a family of my size. I can't really comment on a lot of nearby restaurants except for The Winds and Inlet View. Inlet View was awesome and The Winds left us disappointed

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and with other travelers. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your time at our resort.

We truly are a family resort and provide lots of activities for both kids and parents alike. Ocean Isle is truly a magical beach and The Winds is such a unique property here, we love to hear that much others love it as much as we do. George is one of the great facets of our resort, he is great with kids and truly enjoys their company while working. He goes out of his way to make sure all the kids are having fun at the pool and the children there love him.

We hope to have you and your family stay with us again soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We decided to have a last minute vacation, and booked a 3 night stay. We picked this place mainly because of the reviews here, but we wish we had stayed somewhere else. The room was very small, and it looks like it has seen better days. The carpet was dirty, and our room was not vacuumed on the first day. The curtains for the door were dirty and very hard to open and close. In the bathroom, the toilet was loose and it would move when someone would sit. Also, you could see mold in the shower. The wicker head boards othe beds need replacing.

The complementary breakfast buffet was ok, but the breakfast area is very small. At the times we went to get breakfast, we couldn't get a place to sit. The pools are small, and of course they get crowded pretty quickly.

The staff was nice and courteous, but other than that, we were pretty unhappy with the accommodations.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
We apologize that you did not find your room to be up to your standards, our housekeeping and maintenance staff work extremely hard to try to provide the cleanest possible accommodations.

We are constantly updating different elements of the resort, including bedding, headboards and plumbing, as they experience wear and tear during the seasons. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will be back to Ocean Isle Beach soon!

Fort Mill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our second trip to the hotel was even better than our first, loved the room, the pools, the facilities, the tiki bar and the staff was wonderfull! On my list of greatest all round vacation spots in the area.
RGM
Fort Mill, SC

Room Tip: Upper Ocean Front......fabulous choice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MarketingMan310, Marketing Director at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Roxy,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and with other travelers. We are so glad that you came back for a second visit with us and we hope you come back for many more vacations! It’s so nice to hear that others find this place as special as we do.

We do hope to have you back to stay with us soon!

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

To be completely honest, my girlfriend and i booked this vacation at the last minute. We saw the ad for the winds and booked a cottage for a week without reading any reviews. It was on our drive down that I began reading reviews. Naturally, people are going to look at the bad reviews first. To say I was a liitle nervous would be an understatement. By the time we got to Ocean Isle, my girlfriend and I were of the mindset of "O.K. If this place is awful, we'll just stay one night and go to Myrtle Beach in the morning." Truthfully, I wasn't sure what to expect.
Once we got checked in, I was shocked at how spacious this cottage was. Even though we were in what is considered a "second row house", we were, literally, a two minute walk away from the beach. The cottage itself was very clean. Not to mention the fact that we had our own jacuzzi. We had expected my father and his wife to come to visit, as well as several of my friends. Unfortunately, my father and stepmother were the only ones that were able to make it. We had more than enough room to accomadate everyone that had planned to come. The kitchen was huge. The deck was very spacious. Plus there were two weddings, back to back, on the first two nights, so my girlfriend and i had some music to dance to.
The employees were so outgoing. The Thirsty Tiki was great (only a short walk from our cottage and an even shorter walk form the beach). Those grilled PB&J's really hit the spot after being in the ocean for a couple hours. We literally saw three palmetto bugs the whole time. All in all, it was a great trip. I guess the only complaint i have, if you could even call it a complaint, is the jacuzzi. It was just too hot to get in, but we didn't mind. As for the negative comments about this place, my review title says it all. If you are expecting a Walt Disney or Sheraton type resort, then this is not the place for you. It is not "over the top extravagence". It is, however, a very beautiful place to stay. The beach is just a short walk away (did I mention how UNCROWDED the beach was). Myrtle Beach and outlet shopping are about 40 minutes away. The island itself offers a decent variety of places to eat, however you are never too far away from the "all you can eat" seafood places. I would have to say that this was one of the best vacations, personally, that I have taken. Got my R&R and ready to go back and face the stresses of running my business with a different outlook on things. My girlfriend and I are already planning a trip back somtime in October or November. Thanks for the great time. You guys were awesome.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and with other travelers. We are glad you enjoyed your trip to The Winds. Our resort cottages are a great way to have your family and friends close without being crowded. While Ocean Isle is a bit quieter than Myrtle Beach, it is nice to feel like you have the beach more to yourself. Again, thank you for sharing with us and we look forward to seeing you again in October!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We love The Winds and have been back for four years in a row and just booked for 10 days next summer! Can't wait! From Kim and George at the Tiki Hut to everyone throughout the place, all strive to make guests welcome and happy. If you are looking for a comfortable place to enjoy the beach and relax with family and friends, this is it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and with other travelers. Kim and George at the Tiki Bar are wonderful and always make everyone feel welcome. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back next summer!

Hico, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I found the Winds online while searching for a place to take my wife for our 21st wedding anniversary. I was nervous after I booked it because I read a few negative reviews (outdated furniture, rude staff, roaches, etc). I can tell you, without hesitation... DO NOT BELIEVE THESE NEGATIVE reviews!!!!! The Winds is AMAZING!!!!
We wanted a nice, relaxing beach front room to enjoy a week off from our busy schedules. I spoke with Gary and he worked out a great deal for me for a room overlooking the ocean. We checked in with an extremely polite staff... even though I hadn't purchased anything extra, when we got to our room, there were rose petals and towels in the shape of a heart on our bed. Awesome. Our room had a jacuzzi tub. We overlooked one of the pools, and the ocean.
After a few days, we decided we were having such a great time we wanted to stay one extra night. I called the front desk and they were exceptionally accomodating.
As far as the comments about the "roaches", they are actually palmetto bugs. We left our door open one night while watching a thunderstorm over the ocean and one flew in. That was the only time we saw one. It was taken care of and that was it. We never saw one at the Tiki bar, the pool, or near the ocean.
If there's one negative thing I can mention it's the lack of restaurants on the Island. The Tiki Bar offers delicious sandwiches, and there's a Subway over the Causeway, but unless you're a seafood fan, there's not much. However, if you go back out to Route 17, go 10 minutes East, and there's plenty. If you go about 30 minutes West, you're in North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach, which has every restaurant imaginable.
This place is phenomenal. As soon as we determine our vacation times for next year, we are definitely booking this place again... and this time, we're taking our family with us! I can't reommend this place enough!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 307 and 308 are called "The Penthouse". 308 is perfect for a couple.. nice bed, jac...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MarketingMan310, Director Of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and with other travelers. We are so glad that you and your wife had such a wonderful time at our resort and we hope that we can be the site for many more anniversaries to come.

We really appreciate your kind comments about our staff and our accommodations. We try to create a memorable and unique vacation experience for all of our guests.

I have to point out that the Gary you spoke with was noy me but Gary on our front desk. I call him “Super Gary” to differentiate us!

Next time you come to Ocean Isle there are several restaurants in the area that we would be happy to recommend that offer a variety on their menus (not just seafood!) including Sharky’s Waterfront Restaurant, - a surf lifestyle themed décor with great food) Roberto’s (specializing in great steaks and of course – Italian dishes & pizza) , Causeway Gourmet, Sugar Shack (authentic Jamaican restaurant) and more.

Our front desk is always happy to help with suggestions and they also keep copies of selected menus around to help with your decision. Although, nearby Myrtle Beach does have a great selection of restaurants too!

Director Of Marketing

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!