“Family reunion” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 West First Street, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469   |
Monroe, New York
“Family reunion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a family reunion July 19-21,2013 at the Ocean Isle Inn.Great location in terms of beach access. Management had told us there would be a DJ on Friday night and ability to purchase hamburgers and hot dogs by pool, but when we arrived on Friday both were cancelled. The hotel did arrange for the DJ on Saturday afternoon. NO towels are available to use on the beach SO BRING YOUR OWN!!! The rooms were ok> I found my bed too soft for my back. Being with family made everything GREAT

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking time to give us and our guests your comments about your recent stay at our property. We are happy to know that your group had an enjoyable time at our facility. We do apologize for the confusion regarding the cancellation of our Friday Pool Party, but we are glad that we were able to make it up to you and hire a DJ for your family's luncheon Saturday and make it even better than was anticipated by setting up our oceanfront garden area with tables and draped tablecloths for your exclusive use. We are also pleased at the many smiles that were shown during the family photo session we arranged with our photographer for your group, gratis! It was delightful to see your family having such a good time enjoying each others company and dancing to some fun music.

You are correct that we do not supply beach towels, as some larger resorts with private beaches do for a nominal fee. However, we do supply towels for the pool areas.

As for the beds, we have Quilt-top SpringAir mattresses in all of our rooms and have an extremely high guest satisfaction rate for them, with many guests even choosing to purchase the same type for their homes. We realize that not everyone enjoys the same firmness or softness of a mattress, but again, the overwhelming majority of our guests do enjoy them.

We are happy knowing that our staff and our property went the extra mile to assure that your family group had a great time while here. Many of them made a point to stop by the office to tell us how much they enjoyed it and to thank us for all the extras we did to assure a wonderful stay. We'd be delighted to have your family group with us again during your next reunion.

Kind regards

The Ocean Isle Inn Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here in July 2013. It was disappointing on several levels. First of all, the Ocean Isle Inn claims to be handicap accessible. This is an overstatement because there is only one wheelchair ramp, and it is on the far end of a very long building complex. The parking area closest to the elevator is not paved (it is crushed stone) making it very difficult for me to travel with my rolling walker or transporter chair. Since there was no ramp on this end, a family member had to lift my walker/chair up a flight of 6 steps, and then assist me to get up the stairs. This was very difficult for me and I had to do this every time we went in and out of the facility.

The Inn advertises that it has free Wi-Fi . Well let me tell you, it is the poorest public Wi-Fi system I have ever experienced. We had 7 Wi-Fi enabled devices (3 Apple smartphones, 2 Apple tablets, and a Kindle Fire tablet) and were never able to get a signal except for one location in the "breakfast room". Once you got a signal, you dare not move, because changing position by 10 feet caused a signal loss. The front desk said their network was just fine and it must be our equipment. Yet our equipment worked fine at any number of locations along our trip and in various Ocean Isle area establishments.

Our room slept 4 in 2 Queen beds with very soft mattresses. One issue was that there were only 2 chairs for 4 people, so two of us sat in chairs and two on the edge of a bed. Not comfortable at all.

The room had very little surface area to place stuff like suitcases and other travel needs. Consequently most everything was on the floor which made for a congested space.

I did not even attempt to use the pool because the ladder was not suitable for me and my physical limitations.

Price: $427 for 2 nights. We have just booked 2 nights for 4 people at Walt Disney World's Art of Animation Resort, the NEWEST resort hotel there, for $295. A difference of $132. The beach or Walt Disney World, you choose.

Room Tip: Sound-side rooms have a lovely view of a field and road !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback about your recent stay at our property. We are saddened to hear that your stay with us was a disappointing experience. You mentioned a few items that I would like to address. First of all, you stated that our "claim to be handicap accessible was an overstatement". However, we do have a centrally located elevator and ramp from the east side our complex, adjacent to the handicap parking area. And although our parking is surfaced with crushed stone there is also a paved sidewalk that runs through the middle of each parking area directly to the ramp. We also have paved steps that lead down into our pools as well as a new lift seat mechanism, for such circumstances as yours. Any one of our staff would have been more than happy to assist you in any way.

You also mentioned having difficulties with the Free WIFI that is provided. We have 2 public networks and signal repeaters in every building. Most of our guests are even able to gain access from the pool area. Also, we recently expanded our bandwidth with our service provider to allow for more coverage for our guests. Still, we are sorry that you were unable to utilize your own devices to gain connection. We did troubleshoot the problems that you were experiencing, but found no issue within the network.

We realize that we cannot please every guest that travels through our facility, but our staff does work diligently to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible and to remedy any problematic situation that arises. Aside from these issues, we hope you had a nice time while visiting Ocean Isle Beach.

Salisbury, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband & stayed at OII June 13-14, 2013. We have visited OIB for the past 25+ yrs, usually in a house for a week. This time it was for a wedding & we didn't have a week to stay. I've always admired the OII while at the beach.
We arrived around 1:00 p.m., got in the room, met up with friends to go to dinner in Myrtle Beach a little later. Around 11:30 p.m. I was going to take a shower. There was no hot water. My husband called the front desk. The guy said he'd check into it but it may be a.m. before we'd have hot water. I got up at 6:30 a.m. & checked. Still no hot water. I called the desk around 8:00 & reported it again. No one at the desk knew about it! They said they needed to go into someone's room to ck on something & they didn't want to disturb them so early! I told them I found this totally unacceptable for a hotel in the US & for what I was paying for the room, I expected hot water!! They agreed. Big deal! We ended up getting hot water some time around noon. I told them I expected an adjustment to my room bill for the inconvenience. Did it happen? NO!! I paid over $200 a night for a room with no hot water. I will not stay here again. I'm not sure where the disconnect was but it appeared to be a rather large one. When I rent a house at OIB, if there are issues with plumbing, etc. I can call the realty company & they have someone out day or night, weekend or week day. Not sure why a hotel can't do the same. I really don't like to say negative things but I truly found this unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for offering us your comments about your recent stay at our property. We regret to hear that you did not have the experience you expected. Unfortunately, at times there are mechanical issues that arise that are not immediately repairable for various reasons. However, rest assured that this matter has been brought to the attention of management and we would very much value the opportunity to discuss this with you personally in hopes of reaching an amicable resolution.

Aside from this one issue, we hope that you had an enjoyable time while visiting Ocean Isle Beach and we hope to be given the chance to be of service to you again.

Grove City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had my wedding at the Ocean Isle Inn about a year and a half ago. I love this Inn. The staff is really friendly and Mr. Lee Shapiro did a wonderful job planning the details. The location is beautiful and a perfect place for a wedding.

The Inn itself is also wonderful. They had breakfast available in the morning. The beds were some of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, in a hotel. They are pillow top mattresses and you can sink right into them. We had an Ocean View room and if you open the balcony door, you're able to hear the sounds of the ocean and the waves hitting the beach. There are no obstructions to our view from the window and balcony, just ocean. Who can ask for more.

Room Tip: Ocean rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share to positive comments with others about our property. We are delighted to hear that your wedding event hosted at our facility was as wonderful as it should be. Lee and the entire staff works diligently to assure that each event goes off as planned. Also, we receive many comments about the comfort of our beds with many guests inquiring about purchasing the same brand for their own homes. We wish you many happy years of wedded bliss and hope to have you stay with us again in the future so that you can create many more happy memories of the Ocean Isle Inn.

Kind regards

Rougemont, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

After traveling all day and looking for a comfortable place to stay I called Ocean Isle Inn. I spoke with a person on the phone and I was given a rate. I was very skeptical over the quality of the place because of the price. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised about the location and condition of the facility. I was greeted by a very courteous and down to earth man (Tracy). He displayed both great business and hospitality knowledge. I was very satisfied with the room I was given but Tracy went above and beyond to make my first stay even more memorable. He upgraded my room to ocean view. This was a very smart move on his part. I will now always ask for an oceanfront view if available. The rooms where very clean. The Rocking chairs and ceramic tile on the floors was a great added touch. The breakfast was very good and easily accessible. My 2 ½ year old loved the waffles. My family and I had a great time at this place. I contribute a lot of this to the great hospitality of the staff and great Business sense of Tracy. This was our first time to Ocean Isle Inn but it won’t be our last. Once again to the staff of Ocean Isle Inn a big thank you from my family and myself for helping make my vacation a great vacation.

Mike M

Oceanisleinn, Manager at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. Our staff works very hard to keep our inn friendly,clean and in good order. It always gives me great pleasure to hear that an experiences of our guests was positive from making the reservation to their stay.

Thank you for sharing your compliments about our housekeeping, customer service and especially for your comments on our staff member Tracy. He has been with us for many years and sets a great example on how to treat our guests. The rocking chairs were just put on our balconies a few months ago and our guests are really enjoying them.

In behalf of myself and the Ocean Isle Inn Staff we are looking forward to you and your families return visit to our Inn.
Monroe, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My daughter had her wedding at Ocean Isle Inn and the management team and staff lead by Mr. Lee Shapiro went well beyond the expected outcoe that I was anticipating. Mr. Shapiro made sure everthing was in place:
setting- beautiful beach wedding in the dunes-with the arbor decor
photograghy-done by Mr. Fred Clanton-Clanton Studios
all the anemeties were outstanding
Mr. Shapiro was on point throughout the whole wedding, he was so courteous and kind-like haveing a personal butler.

My fiance' and myself have stayed there many times before for just weekend getaways.....would not stay anywhere else. Rooms always clean and cozy... THE BEST
Need to buy a room there for life.

Kelly and I will get married there when we decide to tie the knot!!!!

Thanks so much for Mr. Shapiro and his staff

Proud father

Rick Hayes and Kelly Camp

Room Tip: get the beach side....but not my room...lol
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to offer us and our guests your comments about your recent stay at our facility. It was our pleasure to be a part of your daughters wedding day. Our entire staff works diligently to assure that everything goes off as planned during such events. It would also be our pleasure to host your own wedding ceremony here. I will be sure to pass along your kind words the staff and manager, Lee.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We got married on the beach right by the hotel! It was an amazing wedding and an amazing hotel stay! Lee and the staff were great to us and it could not of been a better weekend! Absolutely will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you comments with our customers and staff. It is rewarding for us to know that we could play such an integral part on your special day. We host many weddings at our property and each one is a fun, unique experience for us. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Lee and the rest of our staff. We look forward to having you with us during your next visit to Ocean Isle Beach. We wish you many happy years of wedded bliss.

The Ocean Isle Inn Team

Been to Ocean Isle Inn? Share your experiences!