My wife and I just returned home from a two night stay at the Islander Inn. This was our second trip to Ocean Isle and though we really liked the Winds Resort, where we stayed last time, we decided to try the Islander Inn, based on the many good reviews. The Islander Inn was nice enough and I do want to give it a good review but there were too many little things that prevent me from giving it a 4 or 5 star review.
The good: As noted in other reviews, even though the hotel is a bit old and dated, the grounds and pool areas were kept quite clean. Our room was also clean, something you don’t always find at beach hotels. The view from our oceanfront balcony was superb. The folks at the front desk were also courteous and friendly. The hotel is a fairly good value compared to other ocean front hotels in terms of costs.
The bad: even though the hotel is old, there is no excuse for the following; our bathroom door had rust on one side. The door to our balcony is not user friendly and hard to open. My wife has RA and could not open the door. There were no tissues in the room, something every hotel should have for their guests. Perhaps the thing that bothered me the most was a sign in the room letting the guests know that if you break anything you will be held responsible. Really?? I felt like I was back in school. Is it not common knowledge that if you break something you will be held responsible?
Speaking of signs, there was one in the breakfast room telling guests they were forbidden from taking food out of the breakfast room. My wife and I have been guests at dozens and dozens of hotels and have never seen a sign telling us we couldn't take food out of the breakfast room. I like to get up early and go down and get coffee and danish or muffins to take back to the room. What possible reason would the hotel have for not allowing that?
Another thing I would like to mention, when staying in a bottom floor room, be advised, the floors upstairs are rickety and the noise from upstairs guest's can be overwhelming. Apparently, there were drunken wedding party guests above us on our first night and the noise levels were ridiculous and didn't stop until after 3 in the morning. I do not blame the hotel as I did not call to report the problem. When I told them the next day; they were apologetic. The guests on our second night were much more reasonable yet their movement was still loud. I am only putting this in my review because I wish I had been warned.
Lastly, though not a big deal in of itself; since I’m doing a compilation of little annoyances I should mention that our room keys did not work the second night of our stay and we had to go to the front desk to get them re-programmed. Apparently, our keys were only programmed for one night. Again, not a big deal but the little things do add up.
I realize that business is good at the Islander Inn but if they are ever going to aspire to be number 1 in the Tripadviser ratings, they will need to do the little things that make a good resort a great resort. For what its worth, our weekend in Ocean Isle was fabulous. The beaches are as nice as it gets on the East Coast and the town is beautiful and very user friendly especially if you like biking around. This was our 25th anniversarry weekend and we choose Ocean Isle for a reason. We will definitely be back to Ocean Isle in the near future but probably not to the Islander Inn. Like I stated previously; nice hotel and nice people but for my wife and I, not the best choice on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As an oceanfront hotel in Ocean Isle Beach, The Islander Inn overlooks one of the most pristine North Carolina beaches. The Islander Inn is conveniently located within walking distance to several restaurants, shops, an arcade, miniature golf, and museum. The Inn is also just a 10 minute drive from 25 world-class golf courses and hundreds of first-rate restaurants. Famous for its peace and quiet, this intimate oceanfront facility appeals to the young couple, vacationing family, golf enthusiast, or beachcomber who enjoys superior accommodations and breathtaking views of the most beautiful beach on the East Coast. All oceanfront rooms feature a 50in. plasma television. All rooms have a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and telephone with voice mail capability. Room rates include daily housekeeping, deluxe continental breakfast, free WiFi, access to our outdoor oceanfront pool with Tiki bar, indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi and fitness room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Orbitz, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Islander Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Islander Hotel Ocean Isle Beach
- Islander Ocean Isle Beach