“The food be jammin!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Shelby, North Carolina
“The food be jammin!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My favorite place for dinner in the area!!!!! Johnny bread is super yummy ... coconut shrimp is awesome ... ribs are delish!!! Love the live music!!! Come early or you will have to wait! Pricey but great food and fun atmosphere! It's a must stop for us when we are in the area!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
“Too Much Hype !!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went to the Sugar Shack for the first time with my wife. The wait was unbelievable, at least an hour. Well after being seated, the waitress told us about the restaurant. We were told " we have the best ribs, and the steak is the best you will ever have". it is unusual for an establishment to have to convince you before you even order, about the food. So I ordered the full rack of ribs $22.00. It came with curry rice and slaw, my wife ordered Coconut Shrimp $21.50, it came with seasoned fries, which were $2 extra, which we were not told about.
So here is the test for the "Best Food"! The ribs were dry and to my surprise still had the bottom membrane on them, very unprofessional. Curry Rice was good but it truly was just saffron rice with an new name. My wife's coconut shrimp were just OK. Not crisp as they should be, and possibly a frozen product, as they looked all exactly alike. We also ordered two drinks, called pineapple frost for $7 each, they were all foam and not at all enjoyable.So to end my review we feel it was too much Hype for this eatery. And our bill was $80+ with the tip and we had only what is listed above. My advice make your own ribs, as I do and you'll be much happier and have money in your pocket.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Three in my party went to the Sugar Shack for the first time during our beach trip. We arrived around 8:45 pm and had a 10 minute wait. We ordered jerk wings that came with a jerk sauce. You can request hot sauce if you want to turn up the heat. The wings were tender and appeared that they had been slow cooked since the meat fell off the bone. We enjoyed this item very much. I would suggest ordering the Jamaican beer. My meal consisted of bland red snapper sautéed in tasteless vegetables, a sweet potato that had been boiled beyond recognition and had no flavor, curried rice that had a straight from the box taste. One of my favorite dishes in the whole world is fried plantains, however, what I received was a disgrace. The plantains were dry and flavorless
and appeared that they had been cooked the week prior. One person in my party ended up with the curried chicken which she said was delicious. The coconut shrimp apparently was a hit as well. Service was slow and they were out of two entrees that one of my dining partners ordered one being the ribs. My suggestion is to go early in the evening because they probably cook large quantities of items and serve those until they run out. Your chances of getting a meal that is not dried out are lessen. You may want to ask what is cooked to order.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
High Point, North Carolina
“Great wings and ribs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We go to Sugar Shack every summer when we vacation in Ocean Isle. Very large potions for dinner, so go hungry! Great ribs, wings and coconut shrimp!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great service average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went to the shack with 16 people. Wait staff was excellent. Food on the other hand was average and pricey. Do not go without a reservation as dining room is small and they only sell beer and wine. Since I am a chef I tried the curried goat which was good could not get anyone else to try it. Ribs shrimp crab fritters and jerk chicken average. One plus is the huge portions of food so go hungry. We would go back but it would not be our first choice.

Visited July 2013