“Way too loud and food was not good- do not go here” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Join us on our 3rd Floor Tiki Bar where the coldest Beer and Southern Hospitality awaits you. Located under the bridge on the Intracoastal Waterway. Open Thursday - Sunday 11:00am-9:00pm.
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
“Way too loud and food was not good- do not go here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

After waiting for a table at 8 pm on a Friday night in May, I was hoping the dinner would be great. Instead, it was so loud in the restaurant, I could not carry on a conversation accross the table with my daughter. We waited about 15 minutes after we sat down, for anyone to come over and ask what we wanted to drink. I should have taken this as a clue. We ordered and when the food did finally arrived, my baked potato was not even done. It was hard inside. So the waitress said she would get me another one. I finished my sandwich before she came back and then said, oh I forgot you needed another baked potato. If the food had be great, that may have made me overlook the loud noise and wait, but the food was not that good. My chicken sandwich was more bread than chicken . Don't think I have seen a slice of chicken that thin.
I do not recommend wasting your time, money or your ears.

• Visited May 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hilliard, OH
“Best casual restaurant in OIB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Service was great, food was great and it had a fun atmosphere! Enjoy the top deck bar will waiting for your table.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, NC
“Best Blackened Grouper Sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Every time I am within 30 minutes of OIB, I have to get a blackened grouper sandwich at the Giggling Mackerel. The grouper is freshly caught and just melts in your mouth. Every person that I have brought to the restaurant concurs that it is the best fish sandwich that they have ever tasted. It is usually very crowded especially during the summer months which can make the wait very long. We usually just try to get 2 seats at the bar or we arrive for an early dinner. The views of OIB and the ICW are great from the outdoor patio. Plus, if you are a dog lover, you will see "Mack" , the official OIFC mascot running around on the dock down by the water. I get a hug from him every time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Tiki torches were the best part”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

The tiki torches are smiling, which made sense because the ambiance is the best thing about the Giggling Mackerel. The food is good, but a solid average; the waitress was friendly, likeable and attentive. The view from the top balcony is fantastic, but you can only order appetizers and drinks up there. We ordered grouper bites and calamari. The calamari was fresh and good, but the grouper was a little fishy. The sauce was the weakest part, so grab tartar and coctail sauce from downstairs. House margaritas were hit or miss--but in general, only OK.

We would have ordered mackerel tonight, but they were out. Crab cake sandwich was tasty, full of crab. Blacknened mahi-mahi platter was the best thing on the table. Flaky, cooked perfectly, well seasoned, not too spicy. The grilled mahi-mahi was good, but definitely go for the blackened. Fried oysters were small, but then again, it is not oyster season. Roasted vegetables were below par, "awful." The onion rings were not good, but our waitress said they were a house specialty. To us they tasted frozen; be warned. Garlic mashed potatoes were a good side, a bit lumpy.

In conclusion, come to the Giggling Mackerel at sunset to enjoy the view. This is not a fantastic meal, but for Ocean Isle Beach, it is strong. Don't go overboard on the fried food. We got two fried appetizers and a fried main course...our mistake!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Best Fried Seafood on OIB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Beast fried seafood on OIB, we did find better in Calabash but on OIB was pretty good. The Mahi bites on the menu were very good, the peel and eat shrimp excellant, fried fish and shrimp good, but the crabcakes were just avg.

Fun atmosphere and fun servcie.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere