“Fishing Trip - Fishing Motel @ Resort Price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Crest Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Island
Ocean Crest Motel
You added Ocean Crest Motel to your Saves list
1417 East Beach Drive, Oak Island, NC 28465   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Island
Greensboro, NC
“Fishing Trip - Fishing Motel @ Resort Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Took the family pier fishing for a few days and booked the O.C.M. We knew what to expect by looking at there web site and since it was a "fishing trip" and not a vacation we were willing to due without the amennities. Over all for a fishing trip it was just fine. I think $145.00 per night was a little much. I would not go for a weeks vacation but would consider going again for a couple of days of fishing. However, I would offer less than what we paid. (maybe $85.00 per night) If you do stay at the motel, treat yourself to great food at Island Way. It's walking distance and if you ask the motel desk clerk they will give you a 10% off coupon. I think you need to ask about it to get one. I may be wrong. I would recommend the O.C.M. but first I would need to know the purpose of going. PS. Pool is tiny. PSS. My mattress was rough.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
dunkirk, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

it is the best hotel ever carpet everywhere clean as can be peir is amazing just like the prices and the resteraunt the rooms are huge soft and quite matterusses beutiful waters and on the beach cant bbe beat

• Stayed July 2008
Fayetteville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I had one of the most horrible experiences last weekend here. We did book the hotel at the last minute, and were told they only had two rooms left. However, we never expected the room to be so tiny!
The first thing I noticed when I walked in is that we had one FULL SIZE bed. When we were asked for one or two beds I assumed we would get at least a queen. The bed was very squeaky.
The room we stayed in had some kind of vinyl siding/paneling for walls and a tile floor (no carpet). No decorations whatsoever and lawn furniture on the inside. The TV was hung from the ceiling like a hospital room, since there wasn't enough room on the floor.
The bathroom was so small you couldn't have two people in there at once. My wife said the shower was so small she couldn't shave her legs. We bought shower shoes at the Southport Wal-Mart because the floor was dirty in the shower.
The sink wasn't in the bathroom, but by the front door because there was no room anywhere else.
The AC window unit kept turning off and on very loudly. Also, the room was musty and humid... almost like a 'rain forest.'

I'm sure some of the other rooms with an ocean view and balcony may have been better and we got we we deserved for reserving a room at the last minute. Still, a little bit of TLC would have made our room a lot better (carpet, pictures on the wall). Makes me think that the other rooms probably had the same inattention to detail.

• Liked — Beach Access
  • Disliked — Felt like a hospital room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eden, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

Being one of the only hotels we had on the island, they obviously don't have any competition. Having said that, the quality of the rooms were very poor for what was charged. The carpet floors were filthy and left our feet black. I realy did not like how the 2nd and 3rd floors didn't have shaded balconies. The lady at the office came across very rude, like she was impatient with us and was doing us a favor by being there. The pool is very small also. I guess being that they have a monopoly on the island for hotels then they can charge $90 a night for a $30 a night room with $.50 worth of service. I will not stay there again...I will rent a house since there are so many to choose from.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, Cleanliness, Front Office Staff, Pool too small
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oak Park IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

This is a $20/night hotel that cost $90/night... simply because of the location. Okay, it is on the ocean shore, but the way the houses are jammed in here, it is like being in the city.

Having said that... the location isn't really all that great. There really is no where to go when staying here... you a pretty much forced to drive for every meal.

The room is low-rent. The average Econo-lodge has better features. A dirty, old-style hotel room with bad beds and old bed linens.

My suggestion is stay at a nice hotel in Wilmington and drive to Oak Island...

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ocmownr, Owner at Ocean Crest Motel, responded to this review, October 18, 2009
Some people cannot be pleased. Oak Island is one of the few islands left without high-rise hotels and a heavy commercial ocenafront. our customer come here to get away from the hustle and bustle of places like Myrtle Beach. The houses are not "jammed in" and definitely does not resemble a city (did he really rate the right place?).

As far as $20 a night, where is there any oceanfront place at $20 a night?

Our rooms are all extremely clean and the linens are exceptional and we get great reviews from all our customers. See my guestbook on my website for real reviews.
Charlotte NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

My fiance and I booked this motel because it was oceanfront and the rooms looked ok on the website..............HOWEVER.......when we checked into the motel it went downhill FAST! They said that housekeeping had just finished and the room was ready so we went ahead up to our room. When we walked in the carpet was very wet and the room had a sewer smell to it and felt damp. I called the front desk to see if maybe they had shampooed the carpet and I was told NO. So someone came up and asked about the carpet and I told them it also had a smell and I was told that maybe someone before me had spilled something. WHEN YOU WALKED ACROSS THE CARPET BAREFOOT YOU HAD BLACK FEET!!!!!! Our rate was $150.00 a night and this is what I recieved. At no point did anyone try to make it better. The coffee pot had a molded coffee filter in it the next morning when I got up to fix coffee needless to say I ended up at the diner down the street. I can honestly say that I could have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Southport for the same price and Im sure ALOT cleaner and fresher smell.

• Liked — Ocean Front
  • Disliked — NOT IN ANY WAY CLEAN!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ocmownr, Owner at Ocean Crest Motel, responded to this review, October 18, 2009
This customer advised us of the wet carpet after check-in but said it was not a problem. When I was notified the next morning, I personally went to the room to see what was wrong. She said the carpet was wet but it wasn't too bad. I offered to move them to another room so we could shampoo the carpet but she declined the offer to move and said it wasn't a problem as it was drying out. I then asked if there were any other problems and she said everything else was fine. They stayed two more nights without any other comments.
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

My wife and I happened upon this motel while driving the Caroline coast and what a find. This is a great old style motel that is right on the water and priced great. Friendly staff, clean room and a balcony that overlooks the ocean. It is not in the same league as one of the high rise hotels a few miles down the coast but that's what makes it so special. If you don't need to stay at a "resort" check this place out.

• Liked — Price / Value
  • Disliked — Not enough rooms with king size bed - we had two doubles.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ocean Crest Motel? Share your experiences!