“Beautiful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Middle Street, New Bern, NC 28560 (Formerly Hilton New Bern/Riverfront )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Member Discount
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in New Bern
North Carolina
“Beautiful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

This hotel was fantastic. We had wonderful service...the rooms were great...modern with a comfortable bed, a 42 inch flat screen, lots of space, and a serene view. I did not personally pay, so I can not comment on the price. I do know that mostly everyone who attended the same conference stayed at this hotel, so I assume there was a price break. One funny thing about this hotel....it used to be the Sheraton...then we were told once we got there that it was a Hilton...and then on TripAdvisor, it is listed as Bern Riverfront. I am still not sure what brand the hotel is!!! I never did see a name on anything in the hotel! The staff was great...room service was great...we did a boat cruise that picked up at one of the hotel's docks and it was pretty cool. The convention center is within walking distance. The hotel's bar (Christoffs) was really good. I don't have any complaints at all!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
virginia beach, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Hotel is very well maintained... staff is very friendly. Hotel location is great... My room had a great view of the marina.... Awesome... especially when you're drinking your 'starbucks' coffee (provided by the hotel) in the morning while looking at the horizon. They even had Friday and Saturday night live band at the back of the hotel. Definitely coming back!!!!

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton in New Bern. The service was wonderful - especially Dale, who checked us in. She was very patient - as we had a particular kind of room in mind - the view was of most importance. The room was very nice, clean, and comfortable except for the air conditioner, which I think was not working correctly. It kept cycling off and then coming on immediately.
The restaaruant was very nice - good buffet breakfast with a good view of the marina.
The location was great - we didn't need to use our car at all - could walk to restaurant,s sights, etc.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — the mal -functioning, noisy air conditioner
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
richmond, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

did not want to stay here based on earlier reviews, but my first choice hotel was sold out. The Sheraton in New Bern is a great hotel, having just been renovated. My room was excellent in every detail. the staff could not have been more friendly. everyperson I contacted was helpful and friendly. excellent views, excellent rooms, excellent staff.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — lack of public computer
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We are staying here right now. So far it has been a horrible experience. We made the mistake of taking our bags into the lobby with us to check in, only to be assigned a room in a different building. There was no one available to transport our bags to the other building, so we were left to do it alone, in 100 degree heat. No apology from the staff at all. After working up a sweat moving all the bags, we headed to the pool to cool off, to find out it was shut down. The kind souls offered us a coupon to go use the pool at the YMCA! If I wanted that I would have stayed at Motel 6. Some time during our first night, the air conditioner went out, and we could hardly sleep it was so hot in the room. I called in the morning to get someone to come look at it, and was told they would get someone right over. 3 hours later I called again. Again an apology, but no results. After another hour wait I called again, and was told that the A/C was out on all the room on our floor. I guess they just planned on staying quiet about it to see if anyone complained. They said the found us another room, back in the other building! Of course I had to re-pack everything and move it myself again. The staff is just horrible. They offer apologies, but offer nothing for the inconveniences they have caused. They use the excuse that they are renovating, but of course they are still charging full price for the crummy rooms. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. This place is a black eye on the Sheraton name. The only reason they are getting one star from me is that is the lowest I can give.

• Liked — Vie
  • Disliked — Too may inconveniences, and staff does nothing but apologize.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

We hadn't planned on staying in New Bern, called several hotels and this was not only the cheapest of the major brands but also had the two beds we were looking for -- a fluke I'm sure.

What a lovely surprise! It was a substantial notch above the Hampton Inn we stay at in New Bern. The renovation is beautiful and was complete in the room but was ongoing elsewhere. The pool wasn't finished and they were having elevator problems, but neither problem affected us.

Our room was beautiful with a lovely marina view. The wifi worked well. It had a small refrigerator, beautiful linens and was spacious enough.

We breakfasted at the restaurant. There was no buffet and the menu was not set up for a la carte ordering. We were disappointed that in June our fruit plate (not cheap) was limited to honeydew, cantelope and grapes. We really expected strawberries and watermelon too at that time of year and that price.

We wanted to use the laundry facilities, but when we found out there was only one washer and dryer we went to a local washerette to get it done quickly.

The location both downtown and on the waterfront make this hotel especially appealing. Note that the bridge which is the most direct route from the highway is out due to construction. My GPS tried to take us across the bridge every time.

• Liked — location, renovation, upscaleness, beautiful room, friendly staff
  • Disliked — breakfast, laundry facilities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

My husband and I arrived in New Bern on July 4th without a reservation (not recommended). However, we were fortunate to visit the Sheraton after quite a few adventures in the neighboring areas (including a canceled reservation at Days Hotel - ICK!). We knew the Sheraton was booked, however, we were hoping for a miracle. And we got one. Her name was Paula and she is the property manager. She became our advocate and worked diigently to help us secure one of the few rooms that became available at the last minute. The room was fantastic - and the room service was inexpensive and delicious (try the quesadilla and carrot cake - yum!). Plus we had a great view of the fireworks! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New Bern - it is the BEST option.

• Liked — Friendly and welcoming service
  • Disliked — Pool was closed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront? Share your experiences!