“Friendly staff, great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Middle Street, New Bern, NC 28560 (Formerly Hilton New Bern/Riverfront )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Durham, NC
“Friendly staff, great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were in town for an arts festival last weekend & stayed at the DoubleTree. Check in cookie is a nice touch, as is the lemon water & fresh fruit in the lobby. The room was very clean. The bathroom is QUITE small but nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries are provided. We were a little disappointed that the room's furniture console had a space for a fridge but no fridge actually inside, but that was quickly fixed by the management. We had room service dinner, which was reasonably priced, tasty, and arrived quickly. Extra pillows in the closet, a hair dryer (separate, not wired to the wall), and a hair dryer were appreciated. The river view (which we had requested) was beautiful but severely marred by the presence of the deck & outdoor bar, which featured a band which played each night. Personally I think bands should be inside; not everyone appreciates loud music at night, even if it is a weekend and the weather is wonderful.
Breakfast buffet was generous and reasonably priced. Thank you for free wifi access!

The hotel is conveniently located & we walked through much of the waterfront area and old New Bern, looking at shops & sights. Overall, a good experience and I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay! We're pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate all of your needs and we hope that next time you are in town you will stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Meadville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Friday night on the deck overlooking the marina with a lively band and dancing. This was a lot of fun....and the entire downtown was alive with a show in the park and other open air places with bands. The locals are very friendly, and went out of their way several times to direct us to other night spots ....easy to walk to, and safe to walk to. This was a wonderful night spot to visit...as was the entire downtown.

Room Tip: didn't stay here....but it was a great location...I will consider it next time
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We're so pleased to hear that you had such a good time during your recent stay with us! We strive to keep a fun and friendly atmosphere and we're glad that we were able to accomplish this. We hope that you will come again soon!
Tampa, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We've stayed here the last few years on the night before dropping our kids at seagull & seafarer. This year's stay will be our last. We've always used the suites on the corners of the hotel as it gives ample room for our 3 kids to sleep while giving us space to unwind after a long travel day.

We arrived after 5. After waiting 20 minutes to checkin (we understand they're busy as all the camp families are staying there, but having only 2 people at the front desk to handle this rush does not seem appropriate), we were told that the room wasn't yet ready. We were told our room (301) was being cleaned. Around 615, I walked up to 301 to see that the door was open, it was a mess, and no cleaning staff was working on it. I spoke with management about the situation and they found another room for us (although there was still garbage on its balcony). I called to have the balcony cleared but nobody ever showed up.

To their credit, most of the staff was helpful and worked to do the best with the situation they were presented with. They did comp the room (again, I think the staff did the right thing). The ownership/management appears to have neglected the hotel and skimped on upkeep (elevators were mostly non-functioning; tvs have been removed from the living areas of the suites).

We intended to stay here for camp pickup, but have cancelled that reservation and will find other options for future trips.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay. We sincerely apologize for all of the troubles that you were faced with and we want to ensure you everything you mentioned has been addressed. We hope that you will give us another chance next year when you're back in town.
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed here Saturday June 9th to drop off our son the next day at Camp Sea Gull. The room was very shabby (stained carpet, no fridge, musty smell, worn furniture and fabrics). The equipment in the work out area was rickety and creaked loudly with use. Our room service breakfast order was placed well before the 9 PM deadline but never arrived. The order was "lost". The front desk staff was limited in their apology and no compensation was offered (such as "pick up a few items from our self-serve breakfast buffet as you run out the door to be on time for your son's camp drop off"). Parking was limited during check-in as were luggage carts. The ice machine was labeled broken but ran noisily all night (why not unplug it then?).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
We apologize for the inconveniences that your were faced with during your recent stay with us. We assure you that these problems have been relayed to management and will be addressed. We hope that you will give us another chance next time you are in town and stay with us. Thank you again for staying with us and for voicing your concerns dealing with our property.
Durham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed here the night before we took our daughter to Camp Seafarer (like most others that were there). Loved walking up to the reception desk to be greeted with a warm chocolate chip cookie! (there's also a basket of apples for a more healthy snack). We had a riverfront room which has a lovely view of the water and the many boats there. Walked down to the pool so the kids could get in a swim, and were treated to a live band playing some cool tunes. There's an outdoor sitting area for meals, as well as a cute tiki hut, with a full bar and ice cold beers. Hint - be sure to get yours put into a cup when you order it so you don't get accosted by the waitress for having a glass bottle in the connected pool area, as the bartenders are rather busy. The hotel is conveniently located - close to restaurants and shops, so you can walk to shop and eat, or just take a pleasant stroll. Prices were good, but found out that State Employees got a further discount on our room, making it a real deal! Nice breakfast buffet for $10.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know how much you enjoyed our hotel! We're happy to hear that we were able to accommodate all of your needs and we hope that next time you're in the area you'll stay with us!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This was my first time traveling to New Bern, NC to see my boyfriend who had just got home from Afghanistan. We stayed back in March to have a weekend away with each other. Unfortunately, the bed type that we requested was unavailable so the front desk tried to accomadate us the next day with a king room in the other building. We were less than satisfied with this room. The room number was taped on the door, the room smelt of smoke, and it was outdated. Instead of staying in this room we decided to stick with the first room we had with two double beds. The only thing wrong with this room was we didn't have a nice view and the TV was not picking up any channels. Jimmy the engineer was called up to help us with our TV and to also provide a bottle opener. He then proceeded to tell us that because of Hurricane Katrina they were still going through some pretty serious renovations with the hotel which may have had something to do with our TV. To compensate us for the inconvenience of the TV he kindly offered us breakfast for two and to move our room once again to a nice corner room, king size bed, with and AMAZING view. Jimmy made our stay exactly what he hoped it would be. He went above and beyond to wow us as valued guests. Thank you Jimmy for making our stay wonderful!!

Overall, this hotel was great quality and the breakfast was fantastic! I would definitely love to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
We're incredibly pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us! Jimmy was correct about the renovations because of the hurricane and we thank you for being so understanding. We hope that the two of you will come and stay with us again!
NC - USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for a conference I was attending. Location is nice, right on the water, and it is close to the convention center (but not directly connected). You are in easy walking distance of several good restaurants.
Parking was a bit limited, I had difficulty getting a spot at check in and had to leave my car in te unloading area until a spot opened.
I was offered a fresh cookie on check in which was a nice touch. I was disappointed that there was only one luggage cart available when I asked for one, and I was told to being it back when I was done with it. I'm a pretty low maintenance traveler but was surprised that the front desk wanted me to roll the cart back to them rather than having someone bring it up for me or having me call to get someone to retrieve it from my room.
This was one of the few times I didn't get an upgrade due to Hilton status, which was disappointing as I knew everyone had paid the same conference rate for rooms and I'd reserved in advance. I do understand that upgrades are not guaranteed. The room I did get was comfortable and had a nice river view, just no balcony. As another reviewer said, you can hear music from downstairs several floors up.
Not sure if this is a doubletree thing or the Staff forgot, but I usually get bottled water and a snack in the room when checking in due to Hilton points status and that didn't happen here. Not a big deal, but it's a nice touch when you get it. Went looking for ice, found the machine was broken and it had a sign directing me
to another floor for ice. Pickings
In the snack machine outside the room consisted of one variety of chips and otherwise empty slots. They do offer a complimentary drink in the lobby (non alcohol).
I looked through the hotel materials in my room and didn't see any mention of breakfast hours for the restaurant. I did have a room service card to order a reasonably priced breakfast for my room. I called the frot desk to ask about breakfast and was told that the restaurant does actually serve it, and I asked about a voucher for breakfast (Hilton honors gold status generally gets you a free breakfast each morning). The staff had forgotten to give the breakfast voucher to me and brought one up.
Toiletries in the bathroom were good quality and the room was nicely decorated. Breakfast the next morning was pretty good, but the staff was a bit overwhelmed with the number of patrons. I was never offered water or coffee. The waitstaff was busy and attentive, but it's hard to cover everything when there just aren't enough of you.
I stopped at the front desk on my way to dinner to ask for directions. The man who helped me was great, talked to me about the restaurant I was going to and pulled out a map to make notes/directions on so I'd have that to take with me.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We are in the process of converting from a Hilton to a DoubleTree so we thank you for your comments and we assure you that we will use those comments to better our hotel and staff. We strive to please all of our guests and we hope that we did so with you. We hope to see you again soon in the future.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront? Share your experiences!