“Not a good birthday dinner!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 145 Restaurants in New Bern
Good for: Bar scene
Havelock, North Carolina
“Not a good birthday dinner!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went for dinner arriving about 6:15 pm. It was approximately 10 minutes before our drink order was taken. At 7:00, we commented on the lack of food after the amount of time we had been there. When our dinner arrived, though the food was good, they had taken it upon themselves to select my side dish when they apparently ran out of what I had ordered. Service was quite slow, very poor. Food was good but not worth the money. And I really didn't appreciate paying for the food they picked out for me.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Bern, North Carolina, United States
“Hit and Miss depends on the chef”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been to Captain Rattys a few times over the past year trying to give the restaurant a better chance of a excellent review.I must say the staff is always top notch being friendly and attentive and have a excellent knowledge of the menu.My problem is the food is not always the same ..let me explain. I find half the time the food is very good and the other half the food is adequate at best.I suspect they may have different chefs on different days. On my last visit my food arrived cold so cold that I picked up the mashed potatoes in one big lump. The waitress was very apologetic and took the plate back and heated up the food.I do not know what the problem is with the lack of consistency but I do hope they solve the problem because I do enjoy the staff and the atmosphere. I am not by any means a picky eater and always try to give the establishment my best opinion.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Historic town bar & cafe ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Really enjoyed the nice clean atmosphere,great service ,drinks and make sure you try their cannonball shrimp and homemade chips and dip
Will certainly stop by again

New Bern, North Carolina
“Great Pub Grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have been to Captain Ratty's many times and the watch word is "consistent." Very good service, simple, but well-prepared snacks and meals at a very reasonable price. They have one of the best bar's in town and certainly a big city European level wine selection. Don't miss the Wednesday night wine tasting for both value and selection. I recently had the Chicken Pot Pie, which was a special of the day. It was wonderful! I wish it was in there daily offering. Downside, it can be packed and sometimes rather tightly packed. It is not your "First Date" place as it has a beach seafood décor with Pub Grub offerings.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Xmas eve disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a less than stellar experience on Christmas eve, consisting of part of the meal missing with the excuse of "being out of it" but it was not replaced.
My son had water spilt on him, the kids did not get their food early as we requested and was overall a long fustrating experience, it was our first trip and we had heard great things but it was disapointing.

• Visited December 2013