“Poor attitude and atmosphere” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Houston, Texas
“Poor attitude and atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went to MJs since it was suggested as a good place to eat in New Bern. We walked into an extremely, untolerably loud, disruptive atmosphere. We were seated but it was difficult to even hear the waitress, let alone each other at the table. I asked about the noise and was told the restaurant had a bar and people got drunk and there was nothing they could do about it. I commented that it was only 5:20 PM, how could people be that drunk already? I was informed that there was nothing that could be done about the noise, the behavior going on, or the drunks. I cannot imagine why someone would eat in such an environment. We left without eating as I could not stand the noise, drunken behavior, and attitude.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Bern, North Carolina, United States
“Poor business practice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been dining at MJ’s Raw Bar & Grill for the past five years. It was always my first choice when dining in downtown New Bern. I was there three times in the last week spending well over $100 for food and drinks. My boyfriend and I enjoy Thursday nights due to the crab legs special and $2 draft beers. On September 19, I noticed on our bill that we were charged $3 for draft beers. I mentioned it to the waitress and she adjusted our bill to reflect the $2 special. The following Thursday, my boyfriend and I had our usual crab legs special and draft beers. A couple of friends joined us as well. Again, we were charged $3 for draft beers. This time when I mentioned it to the waitress, she stated that some of the draft beers were $2. However, the sign above the bar indicates ALL draft beers $2-Thursdays. I noticed that the owner, Mike Lentz, was in the restaurant and asked to speak with him. When I told him that the sign indicates ALL draft beers $2, but we are being charged $3 he told me to get a lawyer and sue him and I might get my dollar back. I find this behavior inappropriate, unprofessional, and rude. He is posting one price and charging another to his customers. This is definitely poor business practice. Customers who dine at MJ’s Raw Bar & Grill need to be aware that the owner uses his “specials” to get people in the door, but does not honor those specials when it’s time to pay.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Bern, NC
“Absolutely the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Ordered the fried flounder with shrimp, done to perfection, need I say more. I go to alot of places and very few meet my criteria of perfect , well they do....just as ordered and as expected . Wait staff right on....

Visited October 2012
Port Orange, Florida
“Great food, small town flair.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have visited New Bern, NC twice, and both times I was drawn into MJ's by the chalkboard sign on the sidewalk listing the lunch specials. I was not disappointed either time. The restaurant is small and cozy, and provided great service. Our server was knowledgeable and answered our many questions about the various beers. The food was outstanding. The crab cakes alone are worth a drive to New Bern just to have lunch at MJ's. I am not a fan of cole slaw, but theirs is delicious and unique, and prepared with a tasty sauce that they sell at the restaurant. I will be sure to buy some the next time I visit!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, North Carolina
“lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

nice local place to eat, righ in the heart of town. The menu was diverse, prices good. I enjoyed a chicken Parm sandwich and fruit. Service was good.

Visited September 2013