“Charming Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard New Bern

You added Courtyard New Bern to your Saves list
Courtyard New Bern
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   218 East Front Street, New Bern, NC 28560 (Formerly Comfort Suites Riverfront Park)   |
Hotel deals
“Charming Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Cheers:
Frig and microwave.
Nice bed and sofa with flat screen TV.
Nice quite AC unit.
The room was nice and cool when I arrived.
Wireless Internet service.
There is a pool.
There are nearby restaurants as well.
The room darkening shades did a good job on keeping out the light if you need to rest during the day.

Jeers:
Only one phone by the desk. No phone next to the bed.
The work area was small.
No open power outlets by the desk or anywhere in my room.
Parking lot view. No water view on government rate.
Check out time 11:00am.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
northcarolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Rooms are spacious and clean. Stayed in a room with balcony overlooking river. What a nice way to unwind! Hotel serves snacks/drinks at night and good breakfast in morning. Basic workout room. Would definately stay again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed a total of ten days for business and some leisure thrown in. Our suite was spacious, overlooked the pool and the water, included a frig and micro, seperate sitting area and a 2 person balcony. The staff were great. Breakfast offered fresh waffles, fruits, cereals, eggs, sausage biscuits, juices, etc. and newspaper, all included. A managers reception in the evening included box wine, Bud, soft drinks, and snacks, on the house. Both girls that work in the breakfast/lounge area are very nice.
Housekeepers were always busy and thorough. Everyone, even the maintenance guys were super nice and accomodating.
This is a stone's throw from downtown and a great place to just hang around the pool/jacuzzi or watch the water from their small pier/gazebo.

Really a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Havelock, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We were married at the Union Point Park next to the hotel, and we booked a room for the checkin that afternoon, so we could get dressed in the room, and then for us to stay in on our wedding night! We were treated wonderfully, even given an early check-in, so that we would have time to get dressed! The staff was so friendly, and couldn't have been nicer! The room was comfortable, and new flat screen TV in our room was excellent! We were suprised to find a down comforter and pillows on the bed, and we even noticed there seemed to be a down pad under the fitted sheet! We enjoyed our stay there, and the direct view out to the gazebo where we were married! We would definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a nice place to stay! Beautiful location, nice staff, and relaxing wedding stay!! Thanks!! :))))

• Liked — Location, view, and staff were all excellent!!
  • Disliked — That we had to leave!! :)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

The bland masonry exterior hides a well appointed interior. Our room was comfortable with modern equipment. The staff encountered were generally older and both helpful and pleasant. They were also generous with their time and it is easy to see why the hotel staff have achieved a group gold standard award. The hotel is pleasantly located on the water front with nearby restaurants within walking distance or within a short car hop.

• Liked — The considerate staff
  • Disliked — rooms with windows overlooking pool also overlooked one another
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Let me first say that we LOVE this hotel! This was our second stay and I really wanted to give it a 5 star, but something happened on this stay that made me have to rate it a 4.

The positive- almost everything! We went for fourth of July weekend and it was very well-managed. There was a city power outage for about 2 hours (not the hotel's fault) and they handled it very well. We were able to get in the pool during this time, since we couldn't check in.

The rooms are clean, spacious and very comfy. Also, my hubby was super impressed with the new flat-screen LG swivel TVs they had put in. I guess this is in each room, since our room wasn't a special room of any sort. Our bed was definitely king sized and sooo comfortable. Plenty of pillows. They also had our requested crib waiting for us when we arrived, for our son.

Staff is friendly and the complimentary breakfast is good (nothing to write home about, but it will do for free).

The view from the pool is spectacular! The pool looks out over the river and there is also a gazebo and sitting area outside of the pool where you can look out onto the water at all the boats and ducks and enjoy the beautiful scenery. It is extremely relaxing. My two year old loved it.

Now for my complaint- the pool was extremely cloudy. I had on my goggles and normally can see when I duck my head under in a swimming pool. In this one, I could barely see one foot, making me think the pool was not as clean as it should have been. The next day I thought it would be better, but it was still obviously cloudy from the outside, so we decided not to get in. Actually, we COULDN't get in because the pool was closed two hours after it was supposed to open. I don't know if they just forgot to remove the closed sign or what, but there were also ducks swimming in the pool. I've seen how dirty birds can be (poop, etc.) and I thought it was very gross that there were ducks in the pool. My husband commented that if chlorine levels had been accurate, ducks would not have gone anywhere near that pool. I admit that the pool smelt nothing of the usual chlorine smell near a pool and I found that disturbing, especially considering the number of kids in the pool.

Finally, it bothered me that they allowed children to get in the pool with the ducks. It seems to me that this could be some sort of sanitation issue. They finally were able to get the duckies out, but I don't think the children should have been allowed in there.

Other than this incident, I still highly recommend this hotel. I plan to send in a comment card regarding the pool because I would hate to go there and be afraid to get in the pool next time.

New Bern is awesome! The Fourth of July fireworks were very nice and the celebration well-controlled. I recommend the Cow Cafe for a quick, inexpensive family lunch (only $10.50 for a family of 3) and they had a fun kids play area in the back. Also, try Morgans Tavern for a great meal (I'm in love with their chili). We've been there for dinner and for lunch. The lunch prices are excellent- I got chili and a sandwich for only $6 and change and I left VERY full. We love New Bern and will be back in the fall for Mumfest (October 11-12th). We're booking our room early, as the hotel was full for the fourth.

• Liked — The location, cleanliness, and views.
  • Disliked — Ducks swimming in the pool and cloudiness of the pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greensboro NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

The room was fairly large but most double rooms nowadays seem to have queen beds not doubles like they had here. The staff was very nice. It was March and the outside temp was 50's but the room seemed hot to me even with the A/C on. The breakfast was nothing special but they did have a waffle iron (a plus for me). If money is no object, its a nice place to stay and I would recommend it. If money is an object and you can live without a river view (which is mostly a view of a highway bridge nowadays) there are places equally as good for less money.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — The price.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard New Bern? Share your experiences!