“Gracious Southern Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard New Bern

You added Courtyard New Bern to your Saves list
Courtyard New Bern
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   218 East Front Street, New Bern, NC 28560 (Formerly Comfort Suites Riverfront Park)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Philadelphia, PA
“Gracious Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

What a pleasant experience!! This waterfront hotel is one of a kind!!!! An excellent location within walking distance to convention center, marina, shops, and restaurants. It sparkles! The decor is elegant, and the rooms are clean and comfortable with breathtaking waterfront views!!!!! Breakfast was delicious, and the evening Reception M-Th was a delight! The Reception Host is a gracious southern gentleman, and every member of the staff was personable, friendly, and most accomodating. I was a guest at this award winning property for 6 weeks, and it deserves 6++++ stars!!!!!!!

• Liked — Curteous friendly staff
  • Disliked — no complaints
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Richmond, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

This hotel has a great location, fantastic view from the riverside balcony room we had. Rooms were clean, maybe just a little musty, but then it is on the water, so maybe that is to be expected, and it was not bad. Good breakfast, better than most continental breakfasts, and when we wanted a full breakfast one morning, there was a place less than a block away which was good and cheap. Staff was nice, and helpful. I would give this hotel 5 stars, except for 2 minor things. One problem was that after we went out on Friday night, when we returned around 1:30-2:00 AM (Sat. morn actually), our key would not open the front door, we rang a bell that was there, and no one answered. Luckily, our key opened a side door, and we got in. Then, tried to call reception to get a wake up call, and there was no answer. Don't know where their staff is at night. The other aggravation, again minor, was that they charged us $1. for a safe in the room, which we did not use. I would have asked about that, but did not notice on the bill until later. If they would correct the two problems mentioned, this would be a truly great hotel!!

• Liked — location, great view
  • Disliked — no one at reception at night
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

Stayed one night on our way home. Had 3rd floor 2Double room w. balcony, overlooking the nice pool and river. Hot, humid and windy while there; the weather followed us all through the Carolinas.

Check-in staff pleasant and friendly. I asked for restaurant recommendations and they gave us several. (We tried Baker's Square, a "quasi-Amish" restaurant, with cheerful, friendly but slow service. Portions small. Fook okay, not great. Nice rolls.) Lots of restaurants within a 5-block walking radius.

Hotel breakfast staffer efficient, friendly and pleasant. Check-out front desk staffer inert, and in no particular hurry to get us checked out.

Lots of parking. One small, slow elevator. Nicely furnished room. Very comfortable loveseat. Comfortable beds. Our room door was sticking -- worn hinges or humidity; not sure which. Not a big deal.

Guests a quiet lot, no yelling or running in the hallways -- a good thing, since the room door hat a lot of gaps around the edges, and you could hear anything out there. But a quiet -- if somewhat snooty crowd, so we slept well.

Narrow but nicely done balcony with view over pool to river, and also a view to the side, of a marina area, I think.

Nice afternoon reception. And, yes, we noticed the $1.oo safe charge, but not until we got home. Called them and they removed it. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance.

We had wanted to stay on our way down but they were booked solid -- convention. The hotel is next to a small convention center. New Bern in general, and this hotel in particular, I think are a "destination" for a large chunk of eastern North Carolina, so you may want to call ahead if thinking of staying there. Just bear in mind that the Comfort Inn/Suites chain does not let you cancel a reservation without penalty. Check their Web site.

Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Scandia, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My client booked me here for a two night stay when I came to town last week. I'd hoped to be at the "big chain" place down the street with the fullscale restaurant and bar.

Boy was I glad he put me here.

Great place. Quiet. Staff is awesome. Clean. Neighborhood has funky little local restaurants within walking distance.

I'm coming back...and bringing my family.

Stayed September 2007
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

Took my wife for a weekend in New Bern and the Comfort Suites was a wonderful place to stay. King Bed room with a balcony overlooking the water was clean and had plenty of space. Seemed to have been recently painted, and they were finishing painting the hallways on our floor, so everything looked nice. The microwave and a decent sized refrigerator in the room was a nice surprise. Continental breakfast was better than at most hotels, and included a waffle maker and a good selection of fruit, fresh and sliced. Staff was outstanding, helpful from making the reservation (I usually call a property directly for reservations, rather than the nationwide number) to check in and help with local restaurants and attractions, to check out and directions to our next stop. One of the best things about the hotel was the location, with some great restaurants and attractions within a few blocks. We mainly parked the car and enjoyed the walks.

One thing to watch out for is the drive in - the bridge that takes you right to Front Street is closed for repair. It isn't a problem, you just go to the next exit, make 2 turns and you are there, but if you rely on mapquest or a GPS navigator, you will find yourself looking at road closed signs. A call to the hotel got me there with no problems.

• Liked — Location near downtown restaurants and river
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Concord, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

We stayed four nights at the Comfort Suites recently while attending a conference at the nearby convention center. The location is excellent, just across from the convention center and a block from downtown. River side rooms have nice views onto the river. The staff was very pleasant and very helpful, making sure we had everything we needed. The breakfast is bettern than most chain hotels' continental breakfast. The only negative was the condition of the rooms. I'm sure that being so close to the water and all that humidity makes upkeep difficult, and the rooms showed it. Nothing major, just damp feeling carpet and worn finishes. All in all, we had a good stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room condition
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

I stayed for three nights in early April and had a great overall impression of the hotel and its staff. The location is wonderful, the staff was very friendly, the evening reception is a very nice touch. My only complain is when checking my receipt upon return to work (I was there for business), I found that the hotel had charged me $1 a day for the safe in my room. I am sorry Comfort Inn, but giving guests a place to secure their valuables is part of the cost of doing business as a hotel. A dollar a day is a very small amount, but it leaves the impression that the hotel is cutting its margins so tight that it has to resort to "nickle and diming" its guests. That one small item was enough to lower my impression of the hotel. If necessary, just raise your rate by a dollar.

• Liked — great location, great staff, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — poor pricing decisions, spotty wireless internet access
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard New Bern? Share your experiences!