“Standard Hampton” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, FL
“Standard Hampton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Pretty standard Hampton Inn. Everything was clean and well maintained. Happy hour with beer and pizza on Tuesday night in the lobby. Staff was courteous and helpful. Good location, 10 mins from downtown, right near the highway.

------

A couple months later I ran into some problems on my credit card which originated in the hotel somehow. I contacted the hotel and they were very concerned about the situation, wanting to help however they could. As of now it is being investigated, it has not been determined who accessed my information or how.

• Liked — Clean and well-maintained
  • Disliked — My credit card being ripped a couple months later
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I booked a room for myself for a Saturday night and the following Monday-Wednesday nights through Hampton Inn's central reservations. The rate for Saturday was $16 higher than the weekday rate. I called and spoke directly to Barbara, the New Bern manager, asking for the same rate or at least some reduction since I was going to be there for a total of 4 nights. She indicated that she would not make any concession and so I found a similar room for less money at the New Bern Holiday Inn Express for the four nights. Too bad; so sorry. They lose 4 nights of a paying customer.
My advice to travelers: check elsewhere and don't try to negotiate with the manager.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

Stayed one night over Thanksgiving 2008. Appeared to be recently renovated as it was nicer than when I stayed there several years before.

The bed was a pillow top and as comfortable as any I've had in a hotel.

The only negative is that it was a cold night and we were late arrivals. I had called ahead and asked the staff to turn on the heat before we arrived and they were very pleasant and promised to do so, but the AC was on full blast when we checked in, so it took a while for the room to warm up.

Paid $122 for the room.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

It's your average Hampton which means that it is a nice clean hotel at a moderate price. If you request a non-smoking room, make sure it is not on the 2nd floor. Half of the floor is smoking and half is not. There is no barrier between the two so you essentially can have a non-smoking room halfway down the hall next to a smoking room (the other half of the hall). The hallway smells quite bad with stale smoke air. The hotel was booked solid so changing rooms was not an option. I would stay here again next time I am here on business but I would request a non-smoking 'floor'.

Stayed October 2008
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

We were down for the MS150 bike ride in September 2008 from Friday-Sunday. When we booked the hotel we asked if we could do late check-out since check-out was 11:00 am Sunday and the bike ride would not be over by that time. My husband and the group he was with wanted to come back and be able to take showers and get dressed before heading back home. The people at the hotel said no problem. When we arrived Friday afternoon around 4 pm, we checked in and double checked the late checkout and they said they were not going to let us do that. The manager on duty that night was very rude.
They would not open the pool until 10:00 am on the dot, no earlier than that. The pool needed cleaning out.
We will not be staying in this hotel again. Luckily they are building a Marriott next door and that is where we will be next year.

• Disliked — the front sesk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

This newly renovated hotel was a pleasure to stay at!

Tropical Storm Hanna was heading our way and the hotel manager kept everyone advised of the storm and even scheduled some bingo games for the guests. In addition to the free breakfast they also made available sandwiches and chips the next day because of the weather. The hotel did lose power that night but only for an hour and they had their generator on so I wasn't even aware of it.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed here one night while taking my daughter to camp. This hotel is in a good location for that, near a Walmart for the last minute forgots and near restaurants. And the hotel is nice enough -- really what I've come to expect from Hampton Inn, a good, clean place to stay. But I don't understand why it's number 2 on the list. I don't have anything bad to say about it. The wifi worked fine, tv had the cable you'd expect, bathroom was spacious enough, linens nice enough and it was clean. It was just a good, clean well above average hotel. But we stayed at the Sheraton two weeks later and it was cheaper and a big notch above the Hampton. Don't hesitate to stay here; it was fine for our purposes. There was nothing wrong with it, but if you want luxury there's better.

• Liked — location, what was expected
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn New Bern? Share your experiences!