“A nice place to stay and a little off the beaten path” 4 of 5 stars

You added Nags Head Inn to your Saves list
Nags Head Inn
4701 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Nags Head
“A nice place to stay and a little off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in October for a little retreat, It was enjoyable watching the waves from our ocean view room. It's a nice hotel, just a little dated, it could use some new carpets, and maybe a few other things. Still a nice place to visit. Great restaurants close by.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view room and was a GREAT view, even the view waiting for the elevator on the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit with us with that great view of the Atlantic. We appreciate your staying with us during you time on the Outer Banks and hope to see you again soon.

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I went on vacation in July 2013, we are the type to just head our car in a direction and just go spontaneously, so we decided on the outer banks. My advice is to plan ahead if you go to the banks, as it's not as easy to get lodging on a whim. As far as this hotel, it's not bad,I would give it a high 3 or low 4, in their defense it was the 4th of july week and they were slammed. I didn't like the a/c (too noisy), and the room could have been a bit cleaner, the pool wasn't very big, I thought the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay for this particular hotel, and the desk staff could have used a bit more cheerfulness (but again...they were very busy). The beach access was good, and it's a good location, nice area of beach. There was someone renting chairs on the beach by the stairs, and there was a particular couple that rented them and after a while they got up and went down to the water and the guy snatched the chairs back,LOL, so I guess it's rented on a time line, (they could have told them time was almost up or something, needless to say, they were quite upset.) I am not sure if it was a hotel service or if someone was just renting them out.They have a sun deck which is nice(outside) beside the pool (which is indoor). Downstairs before going up to the room, they have a shower to get the sand off without having to walk through anymore sand to get to the stairs which was nice. It's not a bad stay, and we didn't need anything, so I can't say if their service is good or not as far as getting things or accommodating any of our needs. They changed our towels and made our beds everyday so the normal service was good.We were on the road side (only thing available), I would say the Oceanside would be very nice because it was up a bit and would be a good view.

Room Tip: My advice is to maybe try and get an Oceanside room, and if a swimming pool is high on your priority...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us during your July visit to the Outer Banks. We are glad that you were (mostly) pleased with your stay here. Please give us a call in advance next time you are coming to the area so that you can reserve an oceanfront room. We know that you would enjoy relaxing on the oceanfront balcony while watching the beautiful Atlantic. We hope to see you again.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by this beach hotel. My expectations were exceeded with a very clean, update hotel room. Great view from Oceanside balcony. Very quite in December, off season is my favorite time in the Outer Banks. Limited breakfast 'pastry' included, the sweet potato biscuits with ham were delicious. Small indoor pool was a bonus for the kids.

• Stayed December 2013
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us during your off–season getaway on the Outer Banks. Please come back to see us again.

New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were heading to Manteo to enjoy the Winter Lights and decided to stay the night.
I wasn't expecting much, knowing what beach accommodations can be like. But this place was terrific. It was the end of December and we were one of a dozen or so who stayed overnight.
The room was very clean with a fresh aroma. We had a great view of the ocean, even from the 2nd floor which is a bit less expensive than the higher floors. The bed was very comfortable. The heating worked great. There was free wi-fi, a mini fridge and a comfortable couch.
This must be a winner since while waiting to check-in the clerk was making summer reservations!

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth a few dollars more than the street view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront. We are glad that you chose to stay with us during your visit to the Outer Banks and that you enjoyed that beautiful ocean view. We hope to see you again soon.

Pasadena MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

A week ago mwife and I spent 4 great nights, taking advantage of a special they were running, 4 for 3. we asked for and received an ocean front room with king and couch. The room was clean and confortable with a great view up and down the beach and of cource the ocean. But what impressed me and as I see others was the staff. Yes they have a job to do but they take pride in what they do and seem to enjoy it, which helps one enjoy their stay. Remember we visted during their end of the season period, not much open, they knew and gave us directions and suggestions as to places to visit being our first time.. My only suggestion is that if one wants a room especially in season, book now as we are going to. The hotel is so close to the beach you could just about fall out of bed and find yourself on the beach. The breakfast is just to get you going, the sweet potato biscuits and pastries were good, but if I were to suggest they add a few additional items to go along with their great coffee and Mis sheril.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and your interactions with the staff. We look forward to seeing you again when you come back to the Outer Banks.

Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was just at the Inn on October 27th 2013. This was my second stay. This is a superior Inn to stay with. The rooms are super clean and most comfortable...but what really impressed me was the staff. The clerks were great to deal with. I was there for a wedding in South Nags Head and needed an early check in...they went out of their way to see that i got into the room early, and everything was perfect. But here is what really impressed me...after checking in , I forgot my credit card, leaving it at the front desk...I went about my business for a few hours and when i came back into the lobby the clerk called me over and handed me my card!! I had not even missed it, Anyways the two ladies had secured the card and returned it as soon as i walked in...I couldnt thank them enough. HONEST PEOPLE!!. In todays society you would like to think this would be the norm but unfortunately it's not alot of the time. Thanks TY and BREE for being such great people. I will always stay with you guys when im in the OBX!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront. We are all pleased that you had such a positive experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Byron, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Nags Head Inn in September 2013. We had a 5th floor ocean view room that I would definitely recommend. The view as you open your door and see the ocean out a wall of windows is just spectacular. The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. We loved being able to open the window and hear the ocean. It has a balcony but be warned the balcony is very small. We had no problems with wifi. The staff was wonderful and everyone from the front desk to the maids greeted us each time they saw us. It is an older hotel, but fairly well kept up. The location is convenient to Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Roanoke Island. The one negative is the breakfast. They have sweet potato biscuits and pastries. That's it. While the biscuits are good, after two days we went in search of breakfast elsewhere. Breakfast aside, I would definitely recommend the Nags Head Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Nags Head Inn Oceanfront and that fantastic view of the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time on the Outer Banks. We hope to see you again soon.

Sue Hogan

Been to Nags Head Inn? Share your experiences!