“Friendly B&B” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Nags Head B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Friendly B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My partner and I wanted to get away to the beach for a nite. I decided on picking First Colony. We loved the room, though we didnt figure how to work the A/C till we saw the remote much later. The room itself was very neat and clean with a comfortable king-size bed. The hotel had a happy hour between 3 and 5 pm with fairly good pinot grigio with cake, which my partner loved. The hotel itself is rustic. I think we tried all the chairs on the deck and outside the roomm very pretty and well-kept. Unfortunately, the pool was closed. The inn itself is not on the beachfront. Rather, you have to walk across a small road behind the inn to get to the beach, but is a fairly short walk. The included breakfast was good, though have any eggs or fish (on a beach town?) but it was good. They do have chairs to take to the beach. You can buy wine from reception, which by error was almost charged twice, but Mary was very friendly and corrected the mistake quickly. Mary was also nice in letting us remained park there so we could still go to the beach after check out. It was a bit pricy for just one night, but overrall a good place to stay.

Sarah C, Manager at First Colony Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback! Glad to hear you had a comfortable stay~ please come back and spend more time with us next visit. I'm sorry the pool was closed (we were waiting on a part), but hopefully the front desk let you know that we offer complimentary YMCA passes, where you are more than welcome to use their outdoor pool.
If at all possible, we let our guests check in early and leave when they're ready. We have plenty of parking, so our guests are always welcome to check out of their rooms and use the facilities for the rest of the day.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us,

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

This has been a favorite weekend getaway for us for some time. We were so glad to share our love for it with our family group of 40 people. They all stayed for the full 3 days, all regretted having to leave. We presented Sarah and staff with a busy schedule and they were ahead of us at every point. The breakfast area, porches, and large deck area were great places to gather. There is plenty of lawn space for young folk to recreate in, too. Thanks for making this such a success, First Colony.

• Stayed July 2012
Sarah C, General Manager at First Colony Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I'm so glad the reunion went well, but sorry I didn't get to meet your lovely family. As a manager, it's always great to hear that the staff did a bang up job, even in my absence. They are a great group, and I feel fortunate to work with them! We love to have groups and events, and as you noticed, our grounds really lend itself to reunions and weddings and such. Thank you for the kind review~ please come back and see us anytime.

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked the First Colony Inn for a 3 day anniversary trip based on tripadvisor reviews a month or so in advance. It's got so much character and the staff is really nice. We stayed on the first floor so I didn't have to carry our luggage up the stairs. The room was very clean and big. There's not much to the decor but it definitely has the quaint, historic feel to it. They have a terrific breakfast every morning that varied every day we were there. They also have wine/cheese available in the afternoons which is nice after a day at the beach to hold you over until dinner time. We had our own chairs but they also provide beach chairs and towels. It's not on the beach but there's a little private walk from the hotel to the beach and it takes less than 2 minutes to get there. The wrap around porches have chairs and benches available to sit and just enjoy the outdoors and we took advantage of them while we sat outside and read a book one afternoon. We were definitely the youngest people there (we're in our late 20s) but we prefer to stay in B&B places for special occasions so we didn't mind.

So we were pleased with the hotel but it got even better. We got home from our trip and my wife realized she left the anniversary card I had given her in the room and we were pretty bummed. But a week later, we received a letter from the innkeeper that they had found the card and thought that we'd like to have it back. That is amazing service that we really appreciate and there's nowhere else I will stay in Nags Head when we eventually go back. Amazing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your stay~ (and we do have "young people guests" I promise) ! I'm also glad you got your card back. Our guests quickly become part of our family, and if a family member would have left that card at my house, you better believe I'd have mailed it. Please come again, whether for another anniversary or just because.

Best Wishes,
Garland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wow, I didn't make our reservation until too late so our room choice wasn't our first pick but we were really glad they had room for us. We were on the 3rd floor but no worries everything worked there just as nicely as any other floor. On reception Rashid or Rashida sorry I didn't get her name right was so helpful. She told us where to eat, buy mosquito repellent and the best place for fireworks. Wine and tea was great and the food was good too. My girls loved the hammock and the games. Didn't get a chance to use the pool, too much beach, loved the library and the grounds were lovely, in the perfect spot for Nags Head. Loved it will definitely reserve sooner and most assuredly return, if God allows.

Room Tip: Reserve early but don't be afraid if you land on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at First Colony Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Jenny~

I'm so happy you found us! We want you to feel like Nags Head is home, and the staff loves to let our guests know what's going on as well as how to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We're proud of the First Colony Inn, but also proud to share our favorite places.

Please come back when you can, we'll be waiting for you.

Warm Regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Upon returning to Nags Head we decided to stay at the First Colony Inn again. This time we stayed in Martyn Sutton, a room on the third floor sound side. the room was nice and clean and pretty spacious for two. There's was a nice sitting area which I laid a sheet over and used as a couch to read on after long days in the ocean, as well as a table which conveniently turns the sitting area into a dining area. Also, there's a kitchenette, imperative for those like us who don't eat seafood or care for dining out. The bed is comfortable with nice high thread count sheets, and to the side of the bed is a rocking chair and table where we set our computer. The bathroom is nice as well, be aware there's only a stall shower. First Colony Inn offers stellar service, is a two minute walk to a private beach and really gives one that " home away from home" type of feel. In addition, each year they host the Pridefest. It makes us feel good to patronize a business in North Carolina that welcomes those who have so often been denied rights and mistreated. We love this inn!

, General Manager at First Colony Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review! We do try to make sure each room had what you'll need to make yourself at home and settle in- whether it's for a day or two, or a week or two.
The First Colony Inn strives to be an inclusive, friendly place to stay for ALL of our guests. We feel fortunate to be able to support our local Pride organization, and hope to host the event for many years to come.

Best Regards,
Providence Forge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is another review of the First Colony Inn. I provided one a few years back but I feel that as the years go by some changes warrant another review.
My husband and I love this place. The rooms are comfortable and roomy and always clean.
We had a side porch which you can see the ocean and the pool which is nice with that first cup of coffee in the morning.
Their breakfasts are great. Assorted fruits, pastries, bagels, cereals and always hot items as well. The first day it was a quiche with sausage and biscuits. The second, scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes. The third was an egg pie with bacon and croissants.
Every afternoon, there is a happy hour where they have North Carolina sweet tea, lemonade, wine and snacks. This is just a very nice treat after a day of the beach and sightseeing.
The only downsides which are not too severe are, I think they need to put an age limit on children. At breakfast, there was a very loud, whiny child which everyone had to endure through his tantrum. I know it is hard to put an age limit, but I think it warrants it.
Upside, they have towels and chairs you can take to the beach and a pool which cooled us off after a hot day.
You will love it here!

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor so you can get a good view of the Ocean or the Sound!
, General Manager at First Colony Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
So glad you came back to see us, and took the time to write a great review! The lovely front desk ladies also make our breakfasts, and love to try new recipes...ensuring you have a different yummy choice every morning.
The age limit for children idea is a little tricky, and we do realize that most B&B's do have one. That being said, the next time you come to see us (and we sincerely hope you do) - we'd be happy to serve you breakfast in bed~ just fill out one of our breakfast cards the night before, and we'll deliver it right to your room at the time of your choosing.

Thanks again for the review,

Colonial Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

You will love it here!

Room Tip: Go for the third floor either facing the ocean or the sound.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to First Colony Inn? Share your experiences!