“Great location, fair rooms but don't stay in room 101” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Islander Motel
You added Islander Motel to your Saves list
7001 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Nags Head
DarienJim
“Great location, fair rooms but don't stay in room 101”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We booked three rooms with 4 teenage kids. Let me first say if you want to stay in Nags Head it is a very convenient location. (Personally the beaches there seemed to be hammered badly by erosion and I would pick another location.). This hotel is right on the beach bluff and access is easy. Room are decent size and varied by bed choices so make sure to check the exact layout. Do not get room 101 as it was very musty/mildewy smell that required us to leave the door open almost all day (did not fix the problem.). Third floor rooms have views. I cannot recommend solely due to room 101 but our other two rooms were fine. Water pressure as mentioned in another room is a problem--shower temperature is very touchy. Nice pool area just off beach. Free Internet connection crashed and never came up again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

The staff is very personable and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are NOTHING fancy and the furnishings dated, but our room was very clean and spacious. We had a partial view room and was impressed with the view. The beach access couldn't be easier - just steps away from the sand!! The pool area is nice and clean and offers a couple of tables with umbrellas, plenty of lounge chairs and a simple pool. The grounds were lovely. You can tell much pride is taken in this small Hotel. We loved it and we'll be back again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The location of the motel was very good. Lot's of things to do nearby and we could walk out to the beach. The room was a little cramped and the water pressure for the shower was poor. Decent sized refrigerator. Very small freezer. Pretty expensive for the room, but not sure you will do much better at this location this time of year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

The location of the Islander is great! Right on the beach, great views from the hotel, and within walking distance of restaurants. The fun stops there. The sheets are itchy, pillows are hard, the shower water is either really hot or freezing cold and the walls are paper thin. Part of the reason that I chose this hotel was for the wireless internet ...the connection was so terrible that i only had one bar the entire trip! I could barely load a webpage on my iPad.

When we finally got out of this place, we realized that we were overcharge $10 a night. When we asked the manager for a refund and showed her the reservation email on our phone, she yelled at my boyfriend saying "give me your card! hurry up now! i don't have all day!" and treated us like crap.

I'll be staying at the Surf Side next year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I recently visited The Islander after a 3-year hiatus, and was very impressed by the improvements! What was always a nice, famiy place is now even better! The bedding is new, the flatscreen TV is new, the pool has been improved, the landscaping is lovely and well-maintained, and the staff is delightful.....they remember your name and treat you like family...is is obviously very well-maintained, and Betsy, the owner, takes a lot of interest in keeping the place up-to-date. It's charming, small and located right on the beach.Let's hope the ocean currents are kind to the Islander...I want to go back!!

• Stayed June 2010
Bridgeport, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Islander Motel for three nights at the begining of June and it was great. The motel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. We stayed on the first floor which was great to walk to the beach (just a few steps!), but was not great to see the ocean because of the sand dunes. Our room had a king bed, table and chairs, big tv, microwave, medium sized fridge, and a coffee pot. The grounds were very well maintained and landscaped beautifully, with a very nice walkway and landing leading you to the beach. The pool was clean and warm. There were picnic tables and grills in central locations along the property. The location of the motel is a little bit of a hassel because its located at the very end of the beach road so when you go to restaurants you have to drive up the road a few miles to get to most of them, but it isn't that big of a deal at all. It's perfect for a long weekend but I don't think I would like to stay for a whole week just because it would be nice to have a house for that long of a stay. I will definetly stay at the Islander Motel again on future trips. It will always be special to us because I proposed on the landing facing the beach!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I traveled with my sister and my 2.5 year old niece. We had a room on the third floor, which had a beautiful view. Unfortunately the balcony was too small to be comfortable as they had plexiglass windows surrounding it. Oh well. Beach access was right there and the pool was nice too. Front desk staff were less than friendly, to say the least, but the room was very clean and super cute. Having a fridge in it was PERFECT. Location was fantastic- close to the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Islander Motel? Share your experiences!