“We would stay again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tar Heel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Tar Heel Motel
Save Saved
You added Tar Heel Motel to your Saves list
7010 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Columbia, South Carolina
“We would stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed 4 nights the last week of July, it was a clean, comfortable room at the best price on the beach ... well across the street from it.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The motel has been around for decades but it is well maintained, my only complaint is that there was no dresser so we couldn't unpack our clothes. There's plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 teens.

The location is perfect, close to the National Seashore, shopping and dining within walking distance, beach access across the street and a couple of blocks from the pier.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ladysmith, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Tar Heel is an old motel. That is a good thing. Everything in the room/kitchenette was fine. It is close to public access for the beach within walking distance. The wifi was weak but worked. Room was clean & quite. Everyone there were good, friendly people. I was there for the Bluegrass festival. I would stay again. Maybe next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New Hampshire, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My son and I worked our way down the eastern seaboard staying in hotels in the $65-$70 range -- hey, he's going to college! -- in nice oceanside locales. The Tar Heel was just a block off the beach and the room was clean, if not even close to luxurious. A little scruffy on the outside, but a bargain, fer sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mertztown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Not a fancy motel, but is very budget friendly and has everything you need for a nice vacation. Close to the beach, swimming pool, A/C. Room was cleaned everyday and had plenty of room for 3 adults and 1 child.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Its not easy to find a hotel that fits my family's budget and is right across from the beach, Tar Heel topped it all off with nice clean rooms and wonderful service. The staff was friendly--extra towels, extra pillows, and even a cot for my little one. (Yay for breathing space!) I'm already planning to stay there again next summer!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at the Tar Heel for a summer wedding at the Outer Banks. Great job by the staff keeping everyone happy and all the rooms cleaned. They had no problems getting us extra pillows, ironing boards, directions, etc. Everything we couldn't bring from home, or forgot, they helped us out with. The place was very good and at the lowest price around.

Roxboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

If I could afford to stay in a 5 star hotel in Vegas, surrounded by strippers, playing slots, I wouldn't be spending my vacation in Nags Head. That being said, I was very pleased with my room. It was clean, well maintained, and worth the price I paid for it. I needed a nice place to sleep, while I was relaxing at the beach, and this is exactly what I got. The towels were clean, and the shower was hot. The TV worked, unlike some other places I've stayed at. It was everything I could ask for in a room at the beach.

Room Tip: Off season is usually the best time for a quiet vacation, and the best prices.