“Awesome service, crappy beds” 3 of 5 stars

Owens' Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7115 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Awesome service, crappy beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We decided to make our trip to OBX a day early. We wanted to beat the 4th of July rush. The lady at the front desk was great. We told her that my sister had two broken feet and she respected our request for a first floor room and a handicap space. I would love to say the same for the rooms. The beds were very loud and squeaky. They were very small for a queen. You could tell they just painted which was great. They were fairly clean but not my cup of tea for more than a night's sleep.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Keswick, Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stay in the Owens's hotel for 3 nights, nice and polite service.
We stay in the courtyard session, it is not water front but it is across from the Owens hotel portion that it is water front (so it is really close/walking 3 minutes to ocean).
Also the hotel is close to the Jannette's Pier (about 6 minutes walk) which it is great for night fishing.
There is an excellent restaurant (Owens restaurant) right besides the hotel.
There is a small pool behind the restaurant (it is all part of the Owens hotel)
So if you stay in the ocean front portion of the hotel you have to cross the road to go to the pool and the restaurant.
The hotel room is very small with a very, very small bathroom. No tub but a shower.
There were a very old but working refrigerator and microwave.
AC worked just fine.
The views from the windows are a back alley and an front parking lot.
Also free parking right outside your door.
The TV was a new one.
The outlet mall is right behind the hotel.
In general old dated, small but clean room for decent price and close to manny amenities (walking distance)

Room Tip: It is only one level hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richmond VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Owens Motel is nothing fancy but it's clean and convenient to the beach, Jeanette's Pier, Fat Boyz ice cream and burgers, and Cahoon's Market. All within a 2 block distance. This special place is truly "old school" Nags Head.

We stayed in a west side/courtyard room that was a great value. It looked recently refurbished (in the last 2 years maybe) with newer mattresses and a very decent bathroom. No room for toiletries as there is only a pedestal sink. Shower was pretty small but worked well. The beachside motel rooms look really tiny and older, but kitschy. I peeked inside while the cleaning lady had the door open.

Has everything you need - fridge, small microwave, coffee maker, nice TV and 150 yards to the beach. Didn't check out the pool.

All in all...great value and perfect location. I would absolutely return.

• Stayed June 2014
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Nothing fancy here. Just a motel, well at least where myself and my fishing buddies usually stay which is generally in the cheapest rooms they have. We are always happy with our accommodations though. Room is clean but not fancy. Like I said, perfect for fishing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

It gets the job done. Right across from the ocean, yummy expensive restaurant to eat at, walking distance of the pier & icecream parlor. Very friendly staff, room attendants were very sweet ladies & did anything I asked. They even took the time to place my children's baby doll nice & neat on their bed.

Rooms are actually pretty dingy & dark, furniture is outdated, along with all of the decor...yes it's a taste of "old nags head" but it is in serious need of an upgrade or spruce up. There is a tasteful way to keep the old way of life down there without being too modern. Beds are not comfortable, comforter is kind of questionable.

The pool freaked me out a bit too. Right behind the restaurant (which is good I have to say it again) but all you smell as your swim is grease & of course all the dinner guests are walking by as you swim...awkward! Pool didn't seemed to get vaccumed, had lots of weird stuff always floating in it but if none of that matter you...then hey...enjoy!

Overall I would say the best thing about this place is convience but the price truly is not what you get at all! Too over priced for such bare minimal accommodations. I will be looking around for a "Better bang for my buck" next time!

• Stayed August 2013
Danville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was my first visit to Nags Heads, NC. We stayed in the Westside Courtyard of Owens Motel; I would have to say that I was displeased with my stay. The room had a faint smell of mildew as we entered the room. There were no toiletries available –hand soap, facial soap, shampoo/condition or hand location, nor facial tissue.
The space was small and there was no access to Wi-Fi in or around the surrounding area and there was no phone in the room to call for room service, but there was a phone book.
The location of the hotel was great not far from the Jennette’s Pier or the beachfront. For the value of the money I will have say, “You pay for want you get”. Room was small and again I will have to say that cleanliness was not on the high level if I smell mildew. Service I would have to say Staff was friendly when addressed but I can’t really say.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I think the people writing bad reviews about this place are way to picky. Yeah the bathrooms are small and the picnic area is dated, so what, it's what you expect to pay for nothing more nothing less. I expect a clean room and a decent bed. That's what we got.

Stayed May 2014

Been to Owens' Motel? Share your experiences!