“Nice Motel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in Nags Head
Wytheville, Virginia
“Nice Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Owens' Motel was a perfect place to stay for our short stay in Nags Head. Our room was clean and very spacious for a beach motel. We did not stay oceanfront, but we where just across the street. The hotel was centrally located, easy getting to and from places in the town. This hotel has a great pool and wonderful restaurant on site. The service was good and the housekeepers where very friendly. We would definitely stay again when we come back to Nags Head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ephrata, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by our one night stay at the Owens Hotel. The room was just a quick walk to the a beautiful beach and the room was clean, had a brand new air conditioner and very comfortable beds. I was surprised because I had read reviews on Trip Advisor before we went and I wasn't sure what to expect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Owen's Motel while exploring OBX. We rang up and booked over the phone and asked about the various rooms. We decided upon the ones with ocean views. Upon arrival, the helpful lady in reception speedily checked us in and gave us our room key. Our room was number 9 on the 2nd floor. Initially I wasn't impressed with the way the motel looked, as I felt it looked a bit run down. We opened the door and both wowed at the size of the room and its amenities. Opening the door on to the veranda gave us amazing views of the ocean, up and down the beach and Jennette's Pier.

The room was clean and well presented and the bathroom was of a good standard.

If we visit OBX again, I wouldn't hesitate in booking in for another few nights.

On the negative side, the AC in the room was very noisy and did little to cool the temperature of the room. No problems though as we propped the room door open with a chair and had the veranda door open. A nice breeze passed through the room cooling us down.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited the area for a long weekend to explore OBX, and found the Owens Motel to be clean, welcoming, accommodation. Rate seemed a bit expensive given the limited amenities; however, most lodging in OBX is pricier than other NC locales. We stayed in the single-story building across the street, which was quiet and convenient. The rooms are dated; however, given the relatively low price, and proximity to the beach and Jeannette's Pier, we weren't expecting much. If you are visiting Nags Head on a budget, give it a try.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have never stayed in a worse place. This hotel is dirty, bug infested and disgusting. Please avoid this place at all costs! I ave never seen such a crappy place! The pictures quaint, but believe me it is far from quaint, it is gross! Do not stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was surprised by the blue painted paneling, the white wicker furniture, and the truly tiny bathroom. I was more surprised at the stench that hit me when I opened the refrigerator to unload our cooler. We were given the opportunity to switch rooms or switch refrigerators with the room next door. Since we had already moved in, we thought the appliance switch best, especially since the other room was dark and completely old school wood paneled. My poor husband did most of the manhandling of the little beast (a first in our many motel stays). No help was offered. The old brown one left a puddle on our floor and a trail to it's new home. The new one was white and completed the white theme perfectly. That experience was a definite deduction of my rating. We had to get ice from a cooler in the office and the television was little more than a computer monitor. We had a real key! (not a keycard)
That said, I really like the fact that we had windows on THREE sides (it being an end unit) and with no neighbor in the next room, it was like being in a cabin. We hit the beach at sunset and again before and at sunrise because it was SO CLOSE! It was substantially cheaper than the chain hotel and the stay I remember best from our week on the road. It's also the only place I took pictures of, because of it's unique qualities.
It had plenty of towels, microwave, fridge (thanks to my husband, one that worked AND matched the decor), hair dryer, coffee-maker, alarm clock, window unit AC (somewhat noisy), pink decorative plates on the wall and a pink flyswatter thoughtfully provided. It was clean. Plus the section we stayed in (they have another set of units further west) was roughly 50 feet from the BEACH!
I did not spend a lot of time awake in this room so I am forgiving of it's shortcomings. If I was a diva, I would have hated it. I took it for what it was and I am not sorry. Our beach experiences made up for the TV, fridge and cubbyhole commode.
We were there off-season and it was quiet and I slept well. I would probably not have like at as well if it was summer and fully occupied.
Rating this is difficult. If not for the labor involved, TV and commode cubbyhole, we had a great stay - 4.5. It isn't the Holiday Inn. If you want that kind of experience -DON'T stay here. Because of the age, I should probably give it a 2. If you're a guy, none it probably matters to you and only the TV sucks. That kinda leaves me at a 3.

Room Tip: I recommend #8 or higher. Higher has a balcony or patio overlooking the beach.