“Love the Beacon Motor Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Beacon Motor Lodge
2617 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Love the Beacon Motor Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The first time I stayed here was with one of my co workers in early October . It was inexpensive and had beach front (what we were looking for). It was only for 2 days but we had so much fun. We had the beach to look for shells, we were close to the outlets, (girls must shop) and we had Mama Quans right on the by pass YUM. The room was clean but a little musty (all that sea air and dampness you get at the beach). Needless to say we were very satisfied with our choice.
The next year I chose to have a ME vacation and chose to stay at the motor lodge again. I was there for a week and I was in heaven. Yes the bathroom is small but I wasn't there for a lux bath room I was there for the beach. I could sit on the beach all day go to my room when I wanted and fix lunch what more do u need, I felt safe and I left my beach chair and umbrella outside my door and guess what, it was there waiting for me the next day. As I checked out I made reservations for the following summer for an ocean view room (they only gave a few and they go fast). Well I put my deposit down and eagerly awaited summer but before I could experience my vacation I was told I had cancer and had to under go chemo and I had to stay out of the sun. I called the wonderful people and told them that I would not be able to come and they refunded my deposit. They (the staff) have always been very nice. Most of the guests that I met were all return guests that had been coming there for years. I am planning a trip for this summer with my family in one of the cottages.
If you are looking for luxury don't come, if you want a good family spot you can't beat The Beacon Motor Lodge. Carolyn Johnson, Va. Beach

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was surprised to find out that this motel was still here after not being here since I was a child 30 years ago. It has not changed much. Very clean. Well maintained. The rooms are kind of small but you are not there to stay in your room. We found no evidence of any bugs and we had two different rooms. This motel is right on the beach. The housekeeping staff were wonderful, we stayed for 7 days and they had no problem letting us sleep in and were happy to clean the rooms when we were ready. I was sad to hear about Robyn's passing and hope the Beacon stays open for many years to come. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Checked in in the day time and checked for bed bugs. Found 1 dead one in the sheets. Thought nothing of it and went about my day. Came back at night and used the washroom. Washroom was filled with bed bugs crawling around. Killed at least 10. Asked the management if I could switch rooms and they said it was probably water bugs which are common. They also gave me a can of bug spray. What am I supposed to do with bug spray? I can't stay up all night spraying bugs. I came back to my room and on top of my bed were crawling bed bugs. Absolutely disgusting. The blanket upon further inspection also had blood stains from bed bug bites. Told the management again and asked for a refund. They "checked" the rooms and found nothing even though there were dead squished bugs on the bathroom floor. After a lengthy wait, they finally processed my refund.

Room Tip: If you get room 107, just get your money back and look elsewhere. To be honest, if one room has bed...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Carolina Norte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Only rooms available on island should have been first clue. Old building, poorly maintained and even more poorly managed. Mouse feces in bed. Threadbare towells. One set of shampoo and soap for four persons. Coffee maker but no coffee, tea or condiments. Instructions to clean dish ware but no cleaning supplies. Little to no AC. Tiny TV for large room. Family run. Family had no shame and would not refund and let us sleep in van.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another motel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

From check in to check out and every step in between (other than the cleaning service) everyone we dealt with was rude. The building is over 50 years old and it shows. The bathroom in particular was nasty and so small, you have to put your feet in the tub to sit on the commode. There are so many other places to stay on the OBX that offer better accommodations at a better price! I will never stay there again. They advertise they are a family owned business indicating some sort of casual and supportive environment but I felt it was more hostile and indifferent.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are updated.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jarratt, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Excellent room to stay. Clean, tidy, quaint place. The motor lodge does not have loads of extras, but has just what we needed for a very nice vacation. Nice pools, clean grounds, and very conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and of course... on the ocean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We originally found the Beacon to be a pleasant and charming motor court style motel on a nice stretch of beach and requested the same room on each visit. The only serious drawback is the rudeness and indifference of the owner. On our last visit, we wanted to take an early evening swim in the pool and was told that it was closed since it was a slow weekend. Despite this we tried to book a room for this September through their website; 3 messages were left unreturned. We learned from another booking site that they didn't have vacancies, but she still should have responded. Until there is a change in ownership, we will not stay there and will not continue to recommend it like we had in the past.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beacon Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!