“Worst value ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Carolina Norte
“Worst value ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Only rooms available on island should have been first clue. Old building, poorly maintained and even more poorly managed. Mouse feces in bed. Threadbare towells. One set of shampoo and soap for four persons. Coffee maker but no coffee, tea or condiments. Instructions to clean dish ware but no cleaning supplies. Little to no AC. Tiny TV for large room. Family run. Family had no shame and would not refund and let us sleep in van.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another motel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

From check in to check out and every step in between (other than the cleaning service) everyone we dealt with was rude. The building is over 50 years old and it shows. The bathroom in particular was nasty and so small, you have to put your feet in the tub to sit on the commode. There are so many other places to stay on the OBX that offer better accommodations at a better price! I will never stay there again. They advertise they are a family owned business indicating some sort of casual and supportive environment but I felt it was more hostile and indifferent.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are updated.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jarratt, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Excellent room to stay. Clean, tidy, quaint place. The motor lodge does not have loads of extras, but has just what we needed for a very nice vacation. Nice pools, clean grounds, and very conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and of course... on the ocean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We originally found the Beacon to be a pleasant and charming motor court style motel on a nice stretch of beach and requested the same room on each visit. The only serious drawback is the rudeness and indifference of the owner. On our last visit, we wanted to take an early evening swim in the pool and was told that it was closed since it was a slow weekend. Despite this we tried to book a room for this September through their website; 3 messages were left unreturned. We learned from another booking site that they didn't have vacancies, but she still should have responded. Until there is a change in ownership, we will not stay there and will not continue to recommend it like we had in the past.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fenwick Island, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Another visit and so glad it is the same . Love the atmosphere of the old motel days. We do not need fancy bathrooms or towels at the beach. There is a guy who works there who starts cleaning the area from sun-up to sun down I am sure they need to keep him. The beach is so beautiful here. Will be back.

Chapel Hill, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I took a last minute adventure to the outer banks and the Beacon was one of maybe two area hotels with a weekend vacancy. I knew this was probably a sign, but I rolled the dice. Honestly, I could have dealt with the outdated interior, the claustrophobic tile shower stall, and the overly tight parking (I had to get out of the car before my husband pulled into the space, and I'm thin), and maybe even the paper thin walls since mostly families were staying here and turned in before too late, but the crickets in the air conditioning unit? No.

I know, it's bizarre, but the old style motel has windows and AC units very close to the ground and apparently crickets like to hang out and scream their mating calls ALL NIGHT LONG. I'm not talking about a distant chirp in the night. This was not something the average person could sleep through and we didn't. The number one thing I am concerned with at a hotel is sleep quality. My husband and I had none whatsoever for the two nights I stayed there. And since there were so many other little unfortunate things about this place in addition to having to pay over $160 per night, I just can't rate this OBX motel more than a 2. I would recommend you try another place.

Room Tip: 112 is not where you want to be and I don't think any room is ideal for most.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is our forth time staying here out of five stays to OBX. We enjoy the location, value, and cleanliness of this motel. There are no frills, so as long as you aren't expecting more, you'll be happy. The rooms are small with a mini fridge and microwave (no coffee pots). There is daily maid service with fresh clean towels given each day. We always stay in the ocean view rooms, where there is a large patio out front with multiple tables and chairs for us to eat breakfast and dinner. There is plenty of space for us to store the boogie boards, beach chairs/umbrellas, etc out front of our rooms as well. We've always been able to check in early, or at least use the beach until our room is ready. Staff is always friendly and accomodating. AAA approved and I certainly recommend this place for the price and the convience of the location.

Room Tip: We've stayed pool side ( a little cheaper) as well as in the ocean front rooms. All are great an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Beacon Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!