“Great Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Nags Head
Annapolis, Maryland
“Great Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed a night in the Colonial Inn. You can not beat the location...beachfront and right next to the fishing pier with a restaurant and bar. The hotel itself is "old school" and reminds me of the motels I stayed in when I was a girl. My room was clean and met my needs. The refrigerator and microwave was a nice addition and free wifi is a plus. Breakfast in the lobby was more than I expected. However, what is really special about this hotel is the customer service. Check-in sets the tone of a stay and Gayle makes you feel welcomed when you walk in the door. Thus, when I had car trouble later in the week (after I had checked out of the hotel) I felt I could turn to her for help. I was able to hang out at the pool while my car was being repaired and they actually drove me to pick up my car!!! If a business is judged by its employees then Colonial Inn gets 5 stars!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I am sorry to hear that you had car trouble while on vacation but glad to hear the staff was there to assist. I do hope you are able to return soon. I cannot say enough about the wonderful group of people working here at the Colonial Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chippenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Nice enough place right on the beach. Room a bit tired.

Bathroom clean but dated. The lid of the toilet cistern was cracked and had been repiared with polyfilla or similar. Not the mosy hygenic. (Room 9)

Pretty good value. Quiet but near to restaurants etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. I will certainly look into the issues you mentioned right away. I also appreciate the kind words and hope you are able to return soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start.... So we arrived on Tuesday to a fly infested, musty smelling room. The sink was falling off the wall and the light above the bed was broke. It was a cheap room so we weren't expecting a 5 star suite. We got back from dinner with friends and realized our door was broke and would not lock. After realizing the door wouldn't close, we went to the front desk where a very nice employee (Katie) moved us to a new room around midnight. The next day we wake up and go to the beach and realize our dog is covered in fleas! Thankfully we routinely treat our dog for fleas on a monthly basis, so the ones we found on her would soon die. We then went back to our room to look for fleas and our couch had them everywhere. We checked out and were refunded our money. The employee in the office said the flea guy was supposed to come Monday; therefore, fleas have been an issue prior to our arrival. The Colonial Inn was theWorst hotel we have ever experienced. Do NOT recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your vacation. I make no excuses for the problems that you stated in your review. I can assure you that we do not have a reoccurring flea problem by any means however being pet friendly it seems as though something was missed. I am looking into this immediately. As for the other issues I make no excuses and again apologize for this during your vacation. I have sent you a voucher in the mail in an effort to allow us to make this up to you. We do hope you will consider the Colonial Inn in the future as we are continually working to improve and upgrade our product.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

When we first walked in the room, I was alittle concerned it might be too small for our family of four (we had a double queen) but for the price we paid, you cannot beat the great service, cleanliness and location! I also read in the previous reviews that they were remodeling their rooms so I already knew we had one of the rooms that they had not remodeled yet (which was ok with us). The room definitely served its purpose; provided a comfortable clean place to shower and sleep. We were not planning on sitting around in the room our entire vacation so the size of the room became less of a concern to us. The staff was amazing and extremely helpful, the continental breakfast was very simple, but good. Many people mentioned the parking (which was pretty tight) but there always seemed to be a spot available...we never encountered any issues with that. Overall, our family had a really great time at the Colonial Inn and we will never forget our first visit to the Outer Banks...it was truly a great experience and we will definitely be going back! If you are looking for a clean, simple and comfortable place right on the beach, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I sincerely appreciate your kind words and so happy to hear your first trip to the Outer Banks was memorable. We hope to see you again soon.
Granite Falls, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday, August 10, 2013. We had planned a trip on the spur of the moment and we had a hard time finding a place with a vacancy. I could see why this place had an opening!! It is a dump! We found a dead roach outside of our room. The room was small and dark with very little lighting. We had a problem with our toilet. When my husband went to tell the front desk, they acted like we were bothering them and seemed unwilling to help!!! The parking here is also terrible with very little room to move your car around. The free breakfast is just some muffins, bagels, breakfast burritos that you microwave and coffee. I will honestly say that I will never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I sincerely apologize you did not enjoy your stay and am truly concerned with the issues you have mentioned. Items such as this are not acceptable. While the Colonial Inn is an older property I do not excuse some of the items you have mentioned. The owner, management company, and myself work diligently to make improvements and have a lot planned for the winter. I do hope you will consider the Colonial Inn in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Overall, our experience at the Colonial Inn was a good one. The staff is very nice and very helpful. In a pros and cons list, the pros would be location, pool, short walk to beach, price, and staff were all awesome. The cons would be leaky bathroom ceiling, odd smell in some of the rooms, old furniture and carpet made it seem like it was dirty even though it was a clean room. All in all, it is a great value and even though we were not very happy with our room, the accommodating staff, location, pool and price makes you want to come back!

• Stayed August 2013
I sincerely apologize you didn't enjoy your room. We are constantly working to improve the rooms so that everyone enjoys every aspect of their stay. I do appreciate the kind words and will certainly look into your concerns. We hope you are able to return soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We normally rent a cottage, but this summer did not have a whole week to spare, just 4 days. We chose, based on a friend's recommendation, the Colonial Inn. Just the basics, no frills, but reasonably priced, and clean. A quiet place, a bonus to us. The beach can become a little crowded though b/c there is a public access next door to the Colonial. The Nags Head Pier is right next door, where you can dine over the water. If you are oceanfront, you get to see/ hear the Piers' musicians on their deck mid-week afternoons. Not head thumping music, but reggae and Buffet style tunes. Very nice! The housekeepers were excellent, esp. Martina, and really, the whole staff so friendly. The oceanfront room we stayed in with King bed was very tiny, so were so relieved we didn't bring our dogs. If you do bring pets (or are claustrophobic), consider the larger units. Parking was not a problem for us, but the inn was not full. The few minor concerns we had , we reported after our visit in a survey, and Joshua the owner could not have been more appreciative/receptive and eager to address. If you want value, and attentive staff - people who REALLY care, stay here.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room. There were more than a few thunderstorms during our stay which required us to...