“Our Memorial Weekend Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Colonial Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3329 S. Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
“Our Memorial Weekend Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My childhood girlfriends of 40 years and I stayed here for several days to celebrate a birthday. Our suite had two bedrooms, full kitchen and a very comfortable living room with a wrap around sofa. We enjoyed the easy access to the beach and the pool was very nice. The staff and manager were very friendly and accommodating. Our overall experience was very laid-back and enjoyable. They have a varied continental breakfast that we all thoroughly enjoyed every morning. This was a very cozy and well kept environment and we are hoping to make this place our place for our future get togethers. We are looking forward to making reservations for the Labor Day week. A special thank you to Karla Ford who assisted us with our reservations and made sure that all of our wants and needs were met.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan to come back so soon. Labor Day weekend is very busy so I certainly encourage you to call soon. I will ensure to share your kind words with our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My family and I have stayed there for 3 years and this year was really disappointed. We checked in to have the wrong room and the room we got was upstairs and smelled. I confirmed 3 times that we had bottom floor since the steps were too narrow. We were moved 3rd day with no further problems. Cleaning could be better and Parking sucks but staff nice

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our parking lot is small and we have certainly brainstormed on ways to improve this. I make no excuse for the housekeeping issues you mention as this is unacceptable and I can assure you will be addressed. Improvements to this landmark property are continual so I do hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

It is not the Ritz...but we knew that when we booked a last-minute reservation. Our room was clean and comfortable. Decor was circa 1960's but the TV was a new, flat screened model. Very friendly staff and a very good continental breakfast. Easy access to the Beach and pier and a wonderful restaurant is right next door. Additionally, it is in a very safe area for a morning jog.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I certainly appreciate your kind words and honest feedback. The owner is continually working to improve and upgrade this property so I do hope you will consider staying with us in the future. I certainly agree it is a great place for a morning jog.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I drove from Missouri to bring my family of 5 on vacation and this place ruined it the picture's show a nice 2 bedroom but the pics must have been from when the day they built the place its was so gross it smelt like mold they only had a stand up shower and I have a 12 month baby that takes baths,the carpet was trashed the ac didn't work and the kitchen was so dirty, if I were to pull out the couch I wouldn't be able to open the fridge or get to the tiny kitchen the had to remove a couch to even open the front door the dresser and bed was so close I couldn't use the drawers it was so bad I thought this place was going to ruin my entire vacation intill I found this place called the villas and it was a 2 bedroom townhouse for 100 dollars more than colonial and it was huge I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed July 2013
We are so sorry you traveled so far and were so disappointed with your stay. In recent months the Colonial Inn has invested a lot of time and money to improve the guest experience. Capital issues aside I will never make an excuse for housekeeping issues as this is unacceptable and will be addressed. We tend to receive high marks in this area however I sincerely apologize you did not receive the service expected. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your short time spent with us, but encourage you to give us a try in the future as we continually work to improve daily.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Colonial Inn. The front desk staff was very friendly, however, the motel itself is in desperate need of a renovation. The location is great being right on the beach with private access and next door is a pier. However, dogs are allowed at the hotel in every room, so most likely you will hear dogs barking through out the day and night. Also, the rooms are a bit damp because of the humidity and only room air conditioners and the bathrooms need new tile as ours was completely cracked and felt a bit dirty. Perhaps we didn't get an updated room that others were speaking of. Again...great location and I know the new managers are working to update the hotel in the winter. They should also make a policy on the pets so that there are parts of the hotel where pets aren't allowed.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Amber I truly appreciate your feedback. It is certainly our policy that only part of the hotel is pet friendly. I sincerely apologize if this caused any inconvenience. I can also assure you, as you stated, that the owner is working diligently to ensure the property is upgraded. He made significant upgrades this past year and plans to continue to do so in the coming off season. We do hope you return soon and I will certainly let the staff know how highly you spoke of them.
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the efficiency out back. Cute room. View of the ocean nice. Very good spot for surfing next to the pier below. Katie at the front desk was really nice. We had problem with the AC. She had it taken care of quickly.

• Stayed July 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.
Morris, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I can't say enough about the helpfulness and knowledge of the staff. In booking "blind" I was hoping that we wouldn't be staying in an out of date place. The registration went smoothly and the folks couldn't have done a better job of directing us to local attractions and restaurants. The motel rooms were clean and the location of being right on the beach couldn't be better. The motel is long past its prime but is worth the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Jim I appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. Ownership of Colonial Inn changed hands just under two years ago and have been going through phases of upgrades and improvements. We do hope you will visit us again soon and see what all we have improved. I will certainly share your kinds words with the staff.

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!