“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 hotels in Nags Head
WILMINGTON
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Great value for this room. The hotel staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the stay was a great one. For example it was a cold day and the front desk clerk had gone in before I arrived to make sure the heat in the room was turned on. I got a great deal through Priceline and have stayed in other hotels in the area. The room was just as good as any of the others I have stayed in and the location and great set the Colonial Inn apart from the rest.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I am excited to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are certainly in a terrific location and hope to see you return soon. I will certainly share your comments with the staff.

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here and upon checking in, the front office matched the pictures we saw online. We were placed in the wrong room at first (we reserved the room with a kitchen, living room and 2 separate bedrooms). They put us in the room with 2 beds, a tv and mini fridge. After going to the office to tell them this wasn't right, we were placed in another room but it was still not the room that I was under the impression that we purchased online. It did have a kitchen but the sleeping area was in the same room as the living area. The rooms do not look like the pictures we saw online. There was a 3" gap at the bottom of the door where cold air was coming in all hours of the day. The kitchen was do-able. The sheets and towels were clean. I preferred the smell of burnt sausage from our leftover breakfast we cooked over the musty smell the room originally had. My favorite thing about the room was the water pressure in the tiny cramped shower. Also, we checked the office for the breakfast, there was coffee and apple juice and thats it. It was do-able, but next time I will look for something better.

Room Tip: bring an additional sheet if planning to use the sofa bed, as well as febreeze or air freshener to r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the confusion and failure to deliver on our behalf. It is not my habit to make excuses as what you describe should have never happened. I can say we are remodeling each and every room at the Colonial Inn and the plan within the next few months is to have new a fresh rooms property wide. We are painting, adding new bedding, window treatments, etc. We are also working very hard to address all maintenance issues property wide. On your next trip to the Outer Banks I certainly hope you would consider stopping by and seeing our progress, I guarantee you will be impressed. Ask the front desk to tour some of the rooms. Again, my sincerest apologies.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Little imperfections with the room and frozen breakfast foods were things that we overlooked during our 25th wedding anniversary getaway. The beds were clean, plenty of hot water and the heat/ac worked. We are proffessionals in the resort industry so we know what to look for in the business. They are remodelling and updating a 50s era motel and doing a nice job with it. Overall, this really is a nice place to stay. We will stay there again. They need a microwave in the office to heat the breakfast goodies.

• Stayed February 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I can certainly promise that the breakfast area is on our list of things to improve this off season. We are also making a number of improvements to the rooms in the coming month. It is my sincere hope you are able to return soon.
Winchester, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Keri, you guys rock! We stayed for Thanksgiving last year, decided to make it "our" get-a-way annual trip again this past Thanksgiving. I chose Colonial Inn because of being pet-friendly, a very hard to find amenity for visitors. Your hospitality and your graciousness is awesome. Loved the "Top of the Dune" room for the waking up to enjoy the sunrise and cup of coffee moments. OBX is my home away from home and so will Colonial Inn be...

The Anderson's

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you so much for coming, we loved having you guys! Thank you also for this great comment, we work hard to give each guests a great experience at the Colonial and want everyone to enjoy their vacation. Can't wait to see you come "home" soon!!
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Roger & I stayed 3 weeks at COLONIAL INN. We had a wonderful time. The staff is GREAT alwaythere to please. Of course there is the manager,KERRI GOOD, wonderful.
We stayed a month in May, looking forward to going next May.
Its our home away from home!!!!!
thank you for making our stay so much fun!!!!!
Carolyn & Roger
charleston sc

Room Tip: 2 bedroom apartment
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
You know I can't thank you enough for your kind words and caring, we love having you guys as a part of our family. We miss you and can't wait to see you back in the spring!
Latrobe, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We really had a great week at the beach - I actually forgot what date it was, so I'd say it was a success. This is a great "mom and pop" motel reminiscent of traveling in the 60's when I was a kid. Thank heaven they're still out there! We stayed in an apartment with a kitchenette which was great on those nights you just feel like eating in. The room was very comfortable with everything you need - TV, hairdryer, coffeemaker, fridge, stove/oven and microwave. Great location right on the beach, with direct beach access - right next to the Pierhouse restaurant - a great place to eat within walking distance. The hotel is dog-friendly which is very hard to find at the Outer Banks. Keri and staff are super - truly the friendliest staff ever - Keri has personality plus and works hard to ensure your stay is everything you want it to be. (Hi Keri from Paul, Sue and Tux in PA!) Not one complaint from us. We already booked for next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hey there! Thank you so much for taking the time to make your comments here, we love you guys too! We can't wait to see you back "home" really soon! Hope you have a great holiday season!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this place at the last minute. My friend was getting married in Nags, Head and I realized I had no place to stay. Their website said they were booked up, but when I called they had a few open rooms. Jessica, (I think that was her name) helped me out and had me a room within a few minutes of being on the phone.

Here's the deal: If you are looking for a Ritz Carlton experience, then Nags Head is probably not the place for you. This place is a beach town with a relaxed, laid back attitude. My room was nothing special, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

I enjoyed my stay, I slept good, I was at the beach and with friends. I had a good time. If back in the area, I would stay there again.

I'm writing this review because too many people b***ch about small simple things to make others look bad. Not enough people talk about the good things!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We can't thank you enough for writing this review and being so kind to us. We really appreciate your view as we are an older motel and do not wish to put on airs. We do offer clean rooms and wish to view all of our guests as family. We are very pleased that you are now a part of that. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!