“In town for the night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“In town for the night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this place at the last minute. My friend was getting married in Nags, Head and I realized I had no place to stay. Their website said they were booked up, but when I called they had a few open rooms. Jessica, (I think that was her name) helped me out and had me a room within a few minutes of being on the phone.

Here's the deal: If you are looking for a Ritz Carlton experience, then Nags Head is probably not the place for you. This place is a beach town with a relaxed, laid back attitude. My room was nothing special, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

I enjoyed my stay, I slept good, I was at the beach and with friends. I had a good time. If back in the area, I would stay there again.

I'm writing this review because too many people b***ch about small simple things to make others look bad. Not enough people talk about the good things!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We can't thank you enough for writing this review and being so kind to us. We really appreciate your view as we are an older motel and do not wish to put on airs. We do offer clean rooms and wish to view all of our guests as family. We are very pleased that you are now a part of that. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
prestonsburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The beds are like concret blocks . The rooms are clean breakfast is not in a room but in the office and an instant coffee machine is in the office and coffee is available most of the time . Coffee pots are not in the room . If you have diabetes or other simular problems you cant eat breakfast here . However they have rooms available for a larger cost with kitchenettes . The property is run down but my husband likes it here there is more privacy here than most motels . You have to make the decision wether to stay here or not .

Room Tip: It is right on the beach and the people on the disk are very helpful and friendly . The weather was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to make this comment for us. Due to your comments about our breakfast not being for diabetic people, we are looking to add items to change that. We thank you for making us aware of this issue. We apologize that you were not overall pleased with us and hope that we can do better next time for you. We hope to see you next year!
Hagerstown, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

What not to expect: A fancy, gorgeous high caliber hotel

What to expect: Fantastically friendly staff, RIGHT on the beach, clean upgraded rooms

I've stayed at the Colonial Inn for the past two years. They saved our butts last year when a hurricane ripped up 12 (we had a house booked for a week in hatteras) and we went right back to them this year without hesitation.

This year the rooms have been upgraded - new tv's, new beds, new carpet, etc.

Location is great. Right near the pier and literally on the beach. No walking across parking lots/roads/down the block. You've got direct beach access. Clean pool, charming "motel" atmosphere and the staff are probably the friendliest people ever.

This year when we arrived at the end of June, our sink had some draining problems (IE it wasn't...) They upgraded us to an apartment immediately for the trouble. The hotel is dog friendly, but we didn't bring ours. Kid friendly, but not loud or obnoxious.

If I had to dig up a complaint, it would be that the bathrooms don't have exhaust fans (at least the two I've been in didn't) and the bathrooms can get pretty hot and steamy in the middle of the summer without that. Pretty sure I can deal with it, though!

Don't book this motel and expect five star, but it's clean, neat, well kept, friendly, on the beach, awesome and reasonably priced. The Colonial Inn has earned my business and we will continue to book with them.

Room Tip: There are typical motel rooms, some right on the beach, and then apartments. As a family, we have st...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
As always we are happy to see our returning family and we so appreciate you making this comment for us. We love having you and your family and cannot wait to see you next year. Thank you again and next time...bring the pup!!
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Other reviews mention the motel's obvious age, and cramped parking. Both are accurate observations but not enough to give this place a bad review. When I noticed the sink in our bathroom was clogged, I asked the friendly woman at the front desk to send someone to fix it. A few hours later, when we returned from dinner, it drained just fine. I'm sure the sand is a chronic problem in beachfront motels. Although the parking is cramped, I never found myself boxed in or unable to find a parking spot. The fact that a wooden stairway just outside our room led directly to the beach below tended to cancel out any of this motel's minor defects. Sitting in the Adirondack chairs outside our room and listening to the surf was one of the most serene experiences of our trip to the Outer Banks. The Nags Head Pier right next door to the motel was interesting to visit, especially at night, when dozens of fishermen arrive to try their luck. The front desk personnel were always helpful and ready to answer any questions or give directions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review for us! We loved having you stay and hope that you will return to us soon. Thank you for being so kind to us and sweet about your sink...we are endeavoring to keep watch that this doesn't happen again!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in route to another destination. We had a small dog traveling with us which makes it hard to find a decent spot on the shore....especially last minute. We found this motel by review and I called and got a great room last minute in height of the season. It is probably the best room they have...unit #30 a studio room with kitchen, frig, coffee maker, sink, dining table, 2 couches (one pull out with extra sheets and pillows) and a queen bed. 175.00 a night high season. The shower was very tiny but clean. Nothing in this room is fancy, everything is worn, but everything is functional. And let's face it, when you are at the beach, you spend most of your time outside not in your room. What you get here is a great view, (sand dune/glimpse of ocean), end unit privacy, seconds to the beach, large porch with chairs, right next door to fishing pier with everything you need for fishing. It has a great restaurant (The Pierhouse), a large clean swimming pool, and a very quiet wonderful beach.
Perhaps the best part about this motel was the staff....SUPER NICE AND VERY HELPFUL! The beach and grounds are heaven for dogs. There is parking for guests and ice machines. The set up is perfect for a great beach stay. There is a great brew pub a few miles down the road.
All and all this is a great shore motel with wonderful people and a great location....I can see why it has been here so long!

Room Tip: unit 30 was probably the best...ask for units right up front on sand dunes.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words, we really appreciate it! We do love our four legged friends and hope that you will come back and see us soon!
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights in May with our dog. The location couldn't be better- right on the beach with it's own boardwalk. Even though it was said to be newly renovated, we found it to be dated and our room smelled very musty- we never got used to the overwhelming smell, though the room was clean. Overall, for the rate of $75 a night that we paid, we were a happy enough with our stay. Our dog enjoyed playing on the beautiful beach . Breakfast was very good with a lot of selection and we took it out to eat on the beach which was nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it. We are always trying to fight the "musty" smell that comes from sitting on sand. It is a very difficult thing to master! Thank you again and we hope you and the pup will come back soon!
Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My first room had fleas all over the bed so I complained and they moved me into another room 30 minutes later. I would've liked a discount because the new room was in a worse location and didn't have the bed situation I wanted, but it's ok.

The new room had terrible lighting. With all the lights and the tv on, it was still uncomfortably dark. An outlet didn't work and the AC was very loud, even on the quietest setting. The breakfast was pretty good for this kind of motel.

It's right on the water, so the location's great, but I guess it depends on your room. It seems they are hit or miss. For $137.50 a night, I expect a better room.

Room Tip: the room with fleas was room #25 (king courtside). it was in a good location and seemed fine except...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We wanted to apologize that your stay was not what you wanted. We hope that in the future you will give us another chance to show you how pleasant it can be here. Thank you for your comments as we strive to give our guests the best stay when they are here.

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!