“Fish, Eat, Fish, Eat, Repeat” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Fish, Eat, Fish, Eat, Repeat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Pier House Restaurant, also known as Cap'n Andy's, was surprisingly good. We had 2 seafood meals there, with a total of 4 entrees and everything was fresh, good and attractively presented. I especially liked the flounder sandwich - a huge fillet on a fresh bun with condiments on the side and crispy fries for ten bucks. The waitresses were friendly and there was live music in the evenings.
The Pier House sits on the Nags Head Fishing Pier. Parking is often difficult to find, especially when the fish are biting. There is, however, a small lot adjacent to the pier fishing lot where you can sometimes find parking. A resident, seeing our handicap license, came down and told us to park in front of his garage door, he wasn't going anywhere that night. You enter the same as if you came to fish, through racks of rods and gear and turn in at the door on the right where you will be seated either inside or out on the deck overlooking the waves. If it's not too hot, the deck is a great place to enjoy a drink and watch the seabirds and the waves in the evening.
Walking out on the pier costs two bucks if you aren't fishing and just want to sight see, but is free if you eat in the restaurant. Kids especially like to walk out on the pier over the ocean. If you do, watch for fishermen/women casting--you don't want to walk behind just as they cast and get hooked!
If you fish, and catch something edible, you can have it cooked to your order right there in the restaurant. For ten bucks they will cook your fish and serve it with two sides and a drink-but you have to clean and fillet it yourself. All in all, a nice place to sit and have a meal right on the water. Sandwiches start at about 9 dollars. Full meals are about 12 - 20 dollars with a bucket of seafood for two priced at 36 dollars. Not bad.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Awesome view.. food ok. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Went for dinner during our vacation. The major redeeming quality was the excellent view right on the beach. My family and I ordered our meals. 2 other larger tables were seated after my family both were served and in were close to being done eating by the time we even received our food.

The Tuna steak ruben was good however mostly cole slaw and very little tuna for the price. The steamed shrimp were excellent. The drink special of the night, a cosmopolitan took about 15 minutes to be delivered and was primarily sugar water.

The bathrooms were filthy, I've been to cleaner outhouses at state parks.

They did allow us to walk on pier for "free after dinner"

Charles Town, West Virginia
“Fish and Eggs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We eat breakfast here every year. We eat the same thing every time. I have the fried sea trout and eggs with potatoes and my wife has the seafood omelet. Even at the beach, there are very few places that serve fish and eggs. We have never been let down. Again, the same servers are there year after year. There isn't a bad seat in the house or porch to eat breakfast and have a cup of joe while watching the surf. Very consistent.

Visited July 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Arrived Eager - Left Sad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

First off, charging $1.50 per person to "walk" on the pier is petty in my opinion. I can see maybe charging those who fish off the pier, but for two people who just wanted to walk on it for a few minutes, doesn't make a good impression.

The bathrooms of this place are DISGUSTING! Pools of urine all over the floor and it was all I could do to get out of that bathroom without having to touch anything. I'm of the opinion that if you can't be trusted to clean your bathrooms, then you can't be trusted to cook my food. I only say the bathroom after I ate but had I seen it before, I would have walked away.

The decor of the restaurant was okay, but the signs they placed all over the walls are lame beyond belief. Not sure what I hated more, the lame signs or the flies flying around. Ordered water for two people and after 5 minutes, I noticed that the water glass I was drinking out of had some slime on the inside of the glass. Disgusting - Return to Sender...

My wife and I ordered a fried shrimp plate and a fried oyster plate. Shrimp and Oysters tasted fine but the Cole Slaw and Hush Puppies didn't have any flavor at all. These sides were so plain, I didn't even bother to finish them and neither did my wife.

What a waste of $40 that I could have spent elsewhere where the quality of food and facilities were nicer. Next time we are in town, we will skip this destination.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
“little known but very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

It has been a while since eating at the Piehouse Resturant in Nags Head, mainly because we just tend to forget about it, but after a movie Sunday afternoon, my wife and I decided to go there instead of going home and fixing dinner. I had the Fried shrimp dinner, my wife had a house salad and the chicken wings. The service was excellent, the shrimp were large and fried to perfection with a light breading, the cole slaw was dressed to perfection. My wife's salad was fresh and thank goodness she could not eat all the wings. They were perfect. the price was very reasonable. They have great breakfasts, but we had forgotten how good this place is.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere