“Thanksgiving Dinner at Owens'” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 71 restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Philadelphia Suburbs
“Thanksgiving Dinner at Owens'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

When you travel for Thanksgiving, as we have for the last 6 or 7 years, it takes a special kind of restaurant to make it the holiday feel right. Owens' is exactly that kind. The key ingredients - family owned, in business for a long time, homey decor (full of nik naks), white tablecloths, really experienced servers...maybe you're getting a picture of a restaurant in your town.
The food was uniformly delicious - lots of seafood and outer banks influences in the menu. The wait staff and buffet servers were friendly and attentive without being overbearing.
We had a great time and would recommend it to anyone. We'll look forward to trying it during a summer visit. We stay up in Corolla, so usually don't go so far for dinner, but Owens' will be worth the trip.

85% Recommend
VA
“Fantastic Restaurant! Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

My fiance and I treated ourselves to a fancy dinner our last night at the OBX, and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere is very elegant, the service from our waiter Christian was top notch, and the food - WOW! We about filled up on the cheese and crackers, then came the bread, and the wonderful salads with homemade dressings. My fiance is a Ranch fiend, and she said it was the best ranch dressing she has ever had. I had the poppy seed dressing, and while I don't normally eat salad, I almost finished mine! The lady at the next table was raving about her blue cheese dressing. We had an appetizer of Crab Remik - lump crab meat baked under mozzarella - excellent. The clam chowder was wonderful, as well as the main entrees. Owens' is not cheap, but the experience and wonderful food is well worth the cost. We will be returning next year.

Thomasville NC
“Great Scallops”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Owens was recommended to me by a local dive shop owner. I was looking for really good Scallops. I found them. Got the appetizer w/ pecans and Jack Daniels Sauce. Out of this world!! I decided on the Prime Rib for dinner. Also excellent!. My wife got the Salmon. Also excellent. Requested a custom dessert. A brownie w/ ice cream and the Sauce from the appetizer. The staff made it happen. Also just awesome. The place is not cheap, but worth the money for a wonderful evening. We would definitely go back. Thanks Chris and Staff !

Fredericksburg, VA
“Highest quality food in OBX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

Owen's is currently the best food in the OBX. All menu items are high quality. It is more expensive than other restaurants in the area ($20 - $40 depending on what you order). Some areas of the restaurant are so dark it's difficult to see.

Kalispell, Montana
“Someone needs to update their prices on Trip Advisor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

Ok - if you are looking for very overpriced food that is "meh" in taste and preparation but comes well plated and in a charming atmosphere; then Owen's is the place for you.

Seriously - the design of the restaurant was very classy - candles on the tables, white linen table clothes, etc...

But the food was substandard - I ordered pecan crusted scallops w/ Jack Daniel's butter. I got breaded scallops (they were cooked perfectly) with a side of SYRUP and chopped pecans. UGH. When I hear Jack Daniel's butter - i think of a light sauce of melted butter w/ a hint of Jack Daniel's. Instead I got Mrs. Butterworth syrup in a cup w/ chopped pecans. It was horrifyingly sweet and at $28 - WAY WAY overpriced.

The service was ok - certainly not what you'd expect from a restaurant where the average dish is $25.

That said - the guy who makes the salads needs to be made the chef - I got the baby greens salad and it was AMAZING - the blend of feta, spiced pecans, golden grapes, and baby greens was fantastic and it was perfectly accented by the champagne vinaigrette. And my date got a lovely house salad w/ the most amazing poppy seed dressing we've ever had. So make the salad chef the head chef and this place is a dining champion.

Until then - I'm not going back and paying $28 for syrup in a cup.