“Great reputation but just so-so food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
New Bern, NC
“Great reputation but just so-so food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The good: Great location, classic OBX restaurant, very quick, clean, nice hostess

The not-so-good: We had a waitress that wasn't friendly (not rude, but definitely not friendly). Our young child ordered a hot dog and upon taking the first bite, said that it was too hard to eat. It was so hard and stale that we could have used it as a percussion instrument--I couldn't even squeeze the thing. I asked for another bun and the waitress brought out another one--not on a plate or napkin--but just in her bare hand and handed it to me. The other items we ordered were just okay.

There was a tipsy couple at the bar using very colorful language for a restaurant at lunchtime where families are present. I could let this go had this been at night but was not expecting this in the middle of the day.

We were hoping for a great experience--we've been wanting to try this place for years. Sadly, I don't think we'll be back. I imagine that this place is a lot of fun late at night but I don't think it is very family-friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Morganton, North Carolina
“Best Breakfast Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

If you leave hungry, there's something wrong! This place has some interesting history of its own. While on the outer banks, I had asked some local residents where I might find a good breakfast the next morning. Everybody pretty much said the same thing, "None better than Sam and Omie's"! Well everybody can't be wrong! Small on size but BIG on quality food at very reasonable prices with a nice local atmosphere, great service and delightful staff! I ordered some blueberries to top my pancakes, expecting maybe a couple of tablespoons, only to be served a big bowl (at least a pint) of the biggest, sweetest blueberries! I told my server that it was good I didn't order a big serving-she said that's the way its done here! Southern Shores, Kill Devil Hills, Nag's Head, Manteo...etc., Sam and Omie's is The Place on OBX for real local flavor/flair. I've been spoiled!

Visited June 2014
Plantation, Florida
“Great Seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This Restaraunt has great seafood dishes! My family of three got two "whale of a seafood platter" s, and we still had enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I would definitely recommend this Restaraunt. Very friendly staff!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Macon, Georgia
“Casual Beach Atmosphere with Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Going to Sam and Omie's on our first night at the beach in Nags Head has become a much anticipated tradition with our extended family. The mix of beach and fishing character is full of local flavor. The broiled crab cakes are the best I have had anywhere and the Hatteras style clam chowder is not to be missed. We have eaten here at least once on our 14 visits to the beach in Nags Head and never regret it. So far we have only been for lunch and dinner but it is always a highlight of our trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Covington
“Fresh local seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We went here for fathers day. The wait time was minimal so we sat at the bar until our table was ready. The waitress was on the ball and friendly. The food came in a timely fashion and was quite good. Would recomment this if you are in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere