I stayed here for the first time with my young children for a vacation to OBX. Here are the pros and the cons, in my opinion:
- The motel obviously makes an effort to maintain cleanliness, which is a top priority of mine
- The maintenance man was very kind and helpful to my family
- The motel has a family atmosphere in general, and there were numerous people there when we stayed who were return guests from previous years and were loyal to the Blue Heron
- The location is great, as it is a very short walk to the pier as well as very convenient to numerous stores, restaurants, etc.
- The beach front views from the room are great. We were on the second floor, and didn't have quite the view I would've hoped for, but it was still better than looking out onto a parking lot (which is the case at many other motels)
- The motel has a little birdhouse in the front which is populated by purple martins; the birdhouse is designed as a miniature version of the motel itself. This was a neat little feature that could be viewed from all rooms.
- The motel, overall, was extremely uncomfortable for us. We're not used to traveling in luxury accommodations, but this was really "roughing it", in our opinion. The air conditioner window unit in the room did not work properly, and the room was constantly either freezing or burning. I developed a runny nose on the trip from the air. The bathroom was incredibly small, to the point that only one person could fit in there at a time. Not for the claustrophobic.
- The wood paneling in the room was extremely out-dated, as were the furniture and "decor". It felt like we had time warped to the 1970's.
- The refridgerator in our room was actually a mini-fridge that did not keep things cold at all. It was warm inside of it.
- The bed and pillows were very, very hard. I did not sleep well on this trip.
- As others have mentioned, there were no amenities whatsoever in the room. Please bring everything that you need, and do not make the mistake of counting on the refridgerator to keep your food or beverages cold for you on your vacation.
- People staying in the room above ours were vomiting off of their third floor balcony; the vomit was falling onto the ground below, and remained there that morning. My children walked past it. This was gross. This could happen anywhere, I guess, so it's not really fair to blame it on the motel.
I do not think that I would return to this motel, mostly due to the extreme discomfort that we felt on this trip. However, for those who do not mind the above issues I mentioned, or for those just looking for a place to stay overnight, I think that this would be a very good choice. They do have very reasonable rates, and I felt like they were making a sincere effort. I have stayed in some filthy motels, and this motel was definitely CLEAN; it was just very uncomfortable, if that makes sense. Nonetheless, my family has very good memories from this trip, and those memories are what matter the most.
If you get the first floor room, you will not be able to see the beach front. From the second floor...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.