“A birdseye view” 5 of 5 stars

Buford, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
“A birdseye view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We passed the hang gliding school that they had at Jockeys Ridge state park we were on our way some where else so we got the information so we could plan it the next day. At Jockey Ridge it is a 3 hour lesson and you go about 15 feet high with someone holding a tether line to guide you. We did not have three hours the next day so we did what turned out to be the best idea. If you go off the island and look for a store called the Cotton Gin they have a tandem hang gliding lesson where they take you up 2,000 to 5,000 feet and then cut the tether line. On the way up the instructor tells you what to do, once they cut the line he lets you glide. If you do this make sure you ask the instructor to show you the roller coaster move, it will blow you away.

Visited August 2013

Erie, Pennsylvania
“Too bad for little wind.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff was great and getting checked in was quick and easy. The instruction was brief and to the point. When we went out onto the dunes to begin our hang gliding, there was little wind. The instructors had to "provide" the wind for all of our first flights. After all 14 of us went once, we were told that all of our flights would be pretty much the same as the first. We were given the option to continue with the flights this way or to get a refund or windcheck. Though that first flight was fun, it wasn't $99 worth of fun so I opted for a refund. The kept $39 for the instructions and the videos we watched and refunded me the rest. All in all it was a good experience. They can't help it if there is no wind. Bob was my instructor and he was great.

virginia
11 attraction reviews
“2,000 ft up or the Dunes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Some may not know that you can choose to do the lessons at Jockey's Ridge or you can do the 2,000 foot tandem flight further north near Jarvisburg, NC (right behind the Cotton Gin, a cool little store off of 168). If you like the idea of being in hot sand and climbing up a few times for a 50 yard flight then the dunes are for you.

My wife surprised me with a 2,000 foot flight with an instructor. I strapped into a double harness with instructor Jonny and we were pulled up in the air by a plane. After a few minutes of gaining altitude we disconnected from the plane and soared over the sound and fields for another 10-12 minutes. My flight lasted over 16 minutes as we found a thermal uplift and were able to circle in it for a little bit, even gaining altitude while mimicking a circling vulture below us. Jonny let me fly the glider until it was time for the landing (which was really fast and really, really cool)!

I can't say enough about my experience. That was my first time ever hang gliding and I'm now even considering taking lessons. Just don't opt for the boring dunes - do it the real way up near the Cotton Gin.

Chesapeake, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
“Tandem Hang Gliding Rocks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked and attended a tandem hang gliding adventure on Sept 1, 2013. It was AWESOME!!! We soared at 2000 ft. above the outer banks. The staff were very nice and offered ( at a cost) video of the adventure. I would highly recommend this and would do it again without hesitation!!

Virginia
19 attraction reviews
“Group enjoyed the experience but instructor makes a world of difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our group, ranging from 14-53 years old, had a great time hang gliding the dunes of Jockey's Ridge. We were beginners and all of us enjoyed it but two of us had to switch instructors and our flights were not as successful. There was a total of 20 people signed up for the 4:30 time slot (mornings were booked about a week in advance, which was our first choice). We were worried about the heat as we arrived and temps were in the 80s. You watch a movie and go over instructions for the first hour, so we did not go on the dunes until 5:30 (still hot). There were 4 instructors or a ratio of 5 customers to 1. Originally they assigned us one instructor and then when we got up the hill (a walk of about 5 minutes), they changed their minds and divided us into two large groups of 10 and we had two instructors and some flew with two people helping on each side of the glider, until the instructors changed their minds again (I guess they were trying to figure out the best and safest thing to do with the current wind conditions). Each person goes twice, then waits for others , then goes again twice, waits, and then the final one (5 flights in total). Anyway, most people were able to successful hang glide and land on their feet and some experienced "soft" landings ending in a "complete superman pose" or belly. But here is where the instructor makes such a difference, I was able to land on my feet once and I absolutely loved it and felt the floating sensation. 2nd flight, I ended up on my belly but still had a great flight. Then I was asked to switch to another instructor...It went downhill from there. I quickly crashed into the side of the hill, slammed hard on my 4th dive (and scrapped and cut my elbow), and 5th was okay. My last three attempts were much worse and I never experienced the floating or flying like the first two flights. While our group was watching others, we realized that one instructor was struggling the most, and the people were crashing (NOT soft landing on belly). Someone in my group heard that earlier in the day someone had broke their nose (not sure how accurate this is) but I can definitely see this happening after I crashed hard a few times. But we are all glad we did this activity and the staff are very friendly and nice and encouraging. We were there until almost sunset (the session lasts 3 hours) and it was gorgeous up on the dunes at the time of day. We have been going to Outer Banks for years and we are glad we finally took advantage of the hang gliding experience on the dunes. There is a discount of $5 for a group. Bring lots of water and maybe a snack bar, and definitely have someone capture the memories!

Visited August 2013