“Tandem Hang Gliding - Currituck Airport” 4 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
New York City, New York
16 attraction reviews
“Tandem Hang Gliding - Currituck Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Excellent experience. Everyone truly enjoyed themselves. The tow plane actually broke down right before our flight. Kitty Hawk was prepared and said they always have 2 others ready to go, so after a short wait, we were up! The only down side I can say is it is in Currituck which is roughly 1 hour from the heart of the OuterBanks (Nags Head)

Visited August 2011

Hartsdale, New York
“Great Kayaking Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011 via mobile

Went out on a kayaking trip around Roanoke Island with my husband and parents. Lovely, crisp experience. Tour guide was a kayak geek who assimilated nicely and could clue us into some great local spots. The tour itself was supposed to be on the history of the first settlement and was a bit light on the history end, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. I would definitely do another tour/activity with Kitty Hawk Kites in the future.

Farmingdale, New York
7 attraction reviews
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

While I was down in the Outer Banks, I wanted to do something exciting. I decided on a 2,000 ft hang gliding tandem lesson. What an experience! You strap in to the kite along with your instructor and are towed up in the air by a plane (something the Wright Brothers would have used!) and are cut loose at altitude. From there, the instructor lets you take control and offers some aerobatics (if you're interested). The view from up there is great. I recommend this adventure while in the OBX. We stayed in Duck and it was about a 45 minute drive to the Currituck Airport for the lesson. Give yourself time to get there. The only reason I gave this a 4 and not a 5 is because the entire ride is about 10 minutes. I would have like to stay in the air a little longer. The experience (for those who are scared/nervous) can be described as disappointingly safe.

CT
3 attraction reviews
“Hang gliding fun in the Outer Banks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Took a beginner Hang Gliding course with Kitty Hawk Kites. Course consisted of <1 hr classroom time with a brief intro/history to hang gliding and a few quick DVDs. The other 2 hrs were spent outside on Jockeys Ridge doing some actual flying. We were assigned to groups of 4-5 people to each instructor. Each person got 5 flights. The actual flying was pretty cool, albeit short. Flying the gliders was kinda intuitive, but landing was tough. You really needed to listen to the instructors when they told you to flare your glider. I felt bad for all the instructors who had to carry the gliders back up the sand dune after each flight. Our instructor was a really cool guy who was very encouraging. After the course, you get a little certificate which you can use toward getting your own flight license. Don't think I'll go for it, but it's nice to have anyway. Overall, I had fun and would recommend it to others. A bit of advice: go early in the morning or late in the day as it can get pretty hot out on the dunes midday.

Boston
19 attraction reviews
“Awesome. Best Time in Outer Banks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We took a hang gliding lesson and it was awesome! Kitty Hawk Kites is very well run. All instructors were great. Very young and energetic but none so great as Johnathan! He was our instructor and he was just incredible! Very patient and knowledgable. A great teacher! It was such a great feeling lifting off the ground and being able to "fly" The sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge are beautiful and very forgiving as well. I wiped out and all but landed the glider on poor Johnathan and it didn't hurt...Sorry to say I can't speak for him ; ) Sorry again!
You HAVE to do this if you are in the Outer Banks!!