“Amazing hike through the dunes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Nags Head
Type: Geologic Formations, Parks, State Parks, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Two of the highest sand dunes on the East Coast are located here, providing excellent take-off points for hang gliders.
South Carolina
13 attraction reviews
“Amazing hike through the dunes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I were amazed that we could hike on the dunes and enjoy this spectacular, yet unique, piece of nature. I highly suggest the dunes as an item on any OBX to do list!

Visited February 2014

Pennsylvania
36 attraction reviews
“Unique place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We've been here before and it really is a unique place to visit. The main attraction, of course, are the dunes, the highest along the entire east coast. This is where hang-gliders launch from, and there's a hang-gliding school onsite. Our only regret is that this time we didn't climb to the top to view the sunset, but we have in the past and it is spectacular! Really worth the climb. (And it really is a climb. In shifting sand.)

Visited February 2014
Gaston, NC
11 attraction reviews
“The view from above”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

After a minimal admission, a long, hot, and somewhat difficult climb (it's all sand, of course)...we reached to the top. Worth every step to get there. The view was magnificent. And now reading some of the other reviews I realize we missed the best part of the show..sunset. I didn't even think to go there the last time I was at OBX and wanted a better view of sunset..hmm. I'll make sure to put that on my itinerary for the next time. It was also pretty interesting to watch some people hang glide on another part of the ridge. Not my cup of tea but sure looked fun.

Visited May 2013
Topeka, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

One evening on our vacation we weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves, so we asked our front desk clerk if there was a good spot to see the sunset. She recommended Jockey Ridge. We were in sort of a race against time to get there in time, but we finally did and then debated how far in we should travel. We finally decided to keep going and went over the dunes. I am so glad we did. The view was absolutely breathtaking and this was one of the most beautiful sunsets I had ever witnessed. If you visit the area, be sure to check it out! Get there early so you don't have to rush!

Visited August 2013
Cary, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I've never seen anything like this. The sand dunes were beautiful. Felt like walking on mars. The kids loved it. A must go if you've never been before.

Visited January 2014