“Well worth the price!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Nags Head
Richmond, Virginia
“Well worth the price!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We are a couple on a budget and I'm always looking for a bargain so we can get away once in a while. The outer banks is our home away from home and we usually stay in a rented beach house or we stay at the Cavalier Motel but I got a great deal through Choicehotels.com for a king size ocean front room at this hotel. I've read some of the negative reviews and none of them were bad enough to make me go somewhere else. We booked 2 nights for Valentines day and it was sooooooo worth it!!! First I must say that the hotel is not 5 stars so keep that in mind. I don't know why people complain about such little things when they know that they are staying at a Comfort Inn, not some ritzy high class hotel. Any hotel on the ocean will have some weathering outside and inside. The sea salt eats away at EVERYTHING. The windows will sometimes be foggy from the salt spray, which someone was complaining about in another review. But cmon!!!! the hotel has super comfy beds, awesome fresh crisp linens that I actually didn't even change out for my own!! (I'm super grossed out by most hotel linens) The view was awesome, 5th floor and we had the room at the end of the hallway. We watched dolphins play in the surf, saw some beautiful sunrises, full moon and a million stars. Yes the hotel is angled, but ocean front is still ocean front!! the room was spacious and clean with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The free breakfast was ok.. it filled our bellies before we headed out each day. Bagels, cereal, muffins, stuff to make waffles, sausages, eggs, juice, coffee, yogurt.. just to name a few. The front desk staff was a pleasure and we had no problem checking in early at all. She checked to see if a room was available since it was about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and check-in isn't until 4 and since the room was ready, she checked us in. Even the cleaning staff is super friendly. We passed them in the hallway each morning and they always said hi with a smile. All in all we had a great stay and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The price and the location are major selling points, I was there slightly off-season so most of the guests were fishermen (not a bad sign). I was not the only person who decided to book an extra day or two after the first night's stay (although in my case that had a lot to do with Hatteras). The room was clean, quiet and secure (my must haves); very comfortable bed, free wi-fi. The breakfast buffet for a low-end chain hotel was impressive and well-maintained. The beach is terrific. Drawbacks: lack of outlets in the rooms. I had to plug the TV into the coffeemaker outlet in order to find one for my computer and phone charger (a sign of the age of the place). The beach side has balconies; the Sound side does not. I was on the Sound side and the sunsets from the 6th floor were spectacular --- what could be seen through the dirty windows. I'm assuming they will be clean by tourist season, but... One final point: while I was extending my stay and a fellow asked the desk clerk if he could hire someone to put his washing laundry in the dryer as he had to rush to an impromptu meeting. The desk clerk cheerfully said she was glad to do this if he'd leave change for the dryer which he did. Universally, I found the staff cheerful and helpful.

Room Tip: get a balcony above 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Pensacola, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

While staying at this hotel my husband had a heart attack and had to be life flighted to a hospital in another state. The fine staff at this hotel went above and beyond the call of duty to accomidate my husband and I. I flew up from Florida to find that they so neatly packed up all of his belongings (as I had requested) and carefully stored them even refrigerating his insulin and other medication that had been left in the room. I am so grateful for all their help. I stayed at this hotel over night while retreiving his belongings and have never experienced such a caring staff and beautiful and comfortable room. I highly recommend this company for their high standards of excellence.

Room Tip: If you like to hear the waves crash as you fall asleep at night this is the place to do it. Very pea...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Staff totally uncaring and not helpful. I got there early and asked for and early check-in they called Housekeeping and they said could be done probably around noon. 12, 1,2 would be great, so I went out and did a few things and came back @ 2 pm. The desk clerk had no idea of who I was or my request. Now I had throat cancer and have a hole in my neck and speak with an electronic device-it's EASY to remember me. She said it should not be long, I sat in the lobby waiting. At 3:54 she said my room was ready-normal time 4:00- boy I am glad I asked or I could do check-in and check-out at the same time.
The view of the ocean was average-hotel is angled so limited view.
The breakfast was below McD's. The sausage gravy was not bad, cover eggs, sausage, biscuits and with OJ and milk it's edible. That God it was free.
I had stayed at the Ramada Inn up the street and it was 10 times better.
Never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had such a nice stay. The whirlpool room was great and clean. The king size bed was very comfortable. We were on the second floor so we had beach access. The deck was big and very clean too. The staff was courteous. The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch!

• Stayed February 2014
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Most hotels are skeptical about hosting an entire fraternity, subsequent alumni, and their dates for a Formal event. Shannon and the staff at the Comfort Inn, however, were more than accommodating. When our original plan to have the dinner and dance portion of Formal in the ballroom at the hotel did not quite come together, we were able to compromise on what ended up working out even better; they graciously provided party buses to and from Pamlico Jacks restaurant. The result of our business was simply and undeniably nothing but spectacular. The alumni and most of the brothers reported back to me, and the alumni that did not attend, that it was by far the best Formal event they had ever been to. The venue is perfect; on the oceanfront and conveniently close to Pamlico Jacks, which was an amazing venue in itself. My utmost regards and thanks to Shannon and the staff at the hotel, I had an awesome time and hope we can do Formal there again next year.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanfront room, its totally worth it
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

First the location; Right at the junction of Roanoke Island and the Southern Outer Banks. It is within walking distance of Jenette's Pier and close to other attractions. Beautiful view of both the ocean and the sound.
Second the staff; Friendly and helpful...most of them said "hello" when we saw them. The woman who checked us in was very enthusiastic. She wanted to make sure everything at the hotel rated a "10."
The "problems" we encountered (and these were relatively minor, we don't go to the OBX to live in a hotel room). The hallway had a slight urine smell to it, as if a dog had used the hall way, our window had a small leak (but we did get a wicked storm) and the elevator (and this was concerning) leaked water after the downpour.
None of these were deal breakers and we will stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!