“Ocean front stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Wisconsin
“Ocean front stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Nice location. Hotel is OK nothing fantastic. Get a room on the ocean side for views. The other side has views of the restaurant roof. But it does have balconies looking at it. But you don't go there to stay in the room. Too much to see.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I were driving up from Florida on our way to Maryland and had reserved an oceanfront room with our credit card for over $100. We have a dog. We understood that they had a 24 hour cancellation policy. We had all intentions of staying here and were looking forward to it. Our GPS totally messed us up and we could not get to the hotel. We stopped and asked directions but it seemed the directions we got were all wrong. We were in Kingston, NC and that is all we knew. After driving around for 8 hours with our dog, we called the hotel about 6pm on Thursday night and told them that we could not get there. We were tired of driving and it seemed like we were driving in circles. We also had a flat tire that day so nothing went right. The lady on the phone said quite firmly that no way were we to get a refund. Again I asked her if we could at least get a partial refund and she said no way. Her name was Katrina.

We were being honest and tried to explain why we could not get there. It would have been very kind of the manager to give us at least a partial refund. We were not trying to pull anything. We just wanted to stop and rest after driving all day.

I am leaving this review because it is worth $100 of our money. Yes, I know they have their policies but sometimes it is good customer service to be flexible and try to understand about things that happen to people. I do not want the manager to leave a comment and say that we should give it a try again. We will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jenni S, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am so sorry you had a difficult time while trying to get to our hotel. I also apologize you did not receive the response you were looking for from our front desk. We strive to offer the best customer service possible here at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront. I understand you do not want me to request a return stay from you, but I would like to request you give me a call so we may talk about what happened and work it out that way. The phone number here is 252-441-6315, please give me a call at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The amenities and location of the Comfort Inn South may be the best in the Outerbanks. I had a great room with a whirlpool. Although business, I'll always remember sitting in the Whirlpool in the morning while the sun rises.
Hot breakfast included, although you may want to stick with the waffles and bagels.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 room suit or a room that has a whirlpool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked our stay via a blind-auction website. A few hours before arriving I called to see if the hotel had a crib for our 10-month old. In the end, the manager upgraded us to a room with a King Bed and in-room Jacuzzi. The crib was waiting in the room for us. While the facilities themselves (carpeting, etc...) are a bit outdated, we didn't care one bit once we saw the deck and the beach access. We were so thrilled, I went back to the front desk and booked another night. I was even willing to pay the going rate, but the manager again booked us the same room for not much more than I paid using a third-party broker. Breakfast was as good as any I've had at a Comfort Inn, the staff were exceedingly helpful, and best of all, we were right on the beach. It wasn't plush by any means, but it's clean and perfect for enjoying the beach and exploring the area. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean front view, but I envied those who could step out on their balconies and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We held my daughters wedding on the beach and rented the Neptune room and the deck. it was beautiful, Shannon and her staff was wonderful helping with our every need ! I rented the suite and it was just what we needed with family to entertain. Breakfast was wonderful and the girls working in the kitchen were great.
We had Mulligans cater the dinner and it was best food. this is a must try for dinner !
We had a couple of problems, such as our suite was not ready to check into so we had to move rooms the next day which was a pain but Shannon made it up to us and there was booking problem for our guests after our block of room ran over. But Shannon and Jamie solved this and our guests were happy so we were happy.

We have already been asked for Shannons phone number to plan a couple of weddding in the future.

the only problem is having to check out at 11:00 (so is everyone else) it was time consuming to check out of the hotel and the traffic getting out on the beach road was unbelivable ! 2 hours
we are looking into planning a family vacation here for next summer.
We loved our stay ! and our guests are still taking about that weekend
A proud momma.

Room Tip: The Balcony rooms are worth it ! we slept with the door open to hear the waves.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jenni S, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing our Comfort Inn to have your daughter's wedding! Our sales department and staff try to bring personal attention to every guest and event we have the pleasure of having here. We are very pleased that you received that attention and interaction. We apologize for the issues you did have and are happy they were resolved. Thank you so much for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks!
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The view from our balcony was it's main saving grace. While the front desk staff are great, the breakfast buffet is terrible. The selection and quality was poor and they ran out of a lot of stuff. The phone in our room was broken, and a promised staffer to repair a message light that wouldn't go out never materialized. This is an older property, and the lack of maintenance and care shows. There's no other high rise around this section of the beach, but other parts are just as nice and have better alternatives.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I know other readers take cues from guests like you. I apologize you had a less than pleasant experience while visiting our hotel in Nags Head, N.C. Please give us another chance. We would love the opportunity to dazzle you and show you what a great hotel we have.

Woodstock, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am weary of hotels that have badly functioning air conditioning. If you don't mind being unable to cool your room at night adequately and you can overlook windows that haven't been cleaned in way too long this might be the place for you. It is run down. I tried to clean the salt off our window to find it was covered with mist from a careless spray painting operation. The view and location were great and the room was clean enough but I couldn't get enough hot water one morning. The beds seemed to be on the wrong wall and there was only about a foot between one of the and the door to the balcony. They should show some more care.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I apologize you had a less than pleasant experience while staying with us. We did recently have our exterior of the building painted, so I will check on the overspray you mentioned on the window. Thank you for letting us know so we may correct this issue. I am sorry you had to try and clean the window yourself, we are always happy to assist with any request to make our guests stay more comfortable. Unfortunately the windows are a constant battle with being located so close to the beach and the salt air that comes with it. Thank you again for your review and please consider giving us another chance. We would love the opportunity to accommodate your vacation needs and show you what a great hotel we have.

Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!