“Sit in the Whirlpool While the Sun Rises” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Nags Head
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Sit in the Whirlpool While the Sun Rises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The amenities and location of the Comfort Inn South may be the best in the Outerbanks. I had a great room with a whirlpool. Although business, I'll always remember sitting in the Whirlpool in the morning while the sun rises.
Hot breakfast included, although you may want to stick with the waffles and bagels.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 room suit or a room that has a whirlpool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked our stay via a blind-auction website. A few hours before arriving I called to see if the hotel had a crib for our 10-month old. In the end, the manager upgraded us to a room with a King Bed and in-room Jacuzzi. The crib was waiting in the room for us. While the facilities themselves (carpeting, etc...) are a bit outdated, we didn't care one bit once we saw the deck and the beach access. We were so thrilled, I went back to the front desk and booked another night. I was even willing to pay the going rate, but the manager again booked us the same room for not much more than I paid using a third-party broker. Breakfast was as good as any I've had at a Comfort Inn, the staff were exceedingly helpful, and best of all, we were right on the beach. It wasn't plush by any means, but it's clean and perfect for enjoying the beach and exploring the area. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean front view, but I envied those who could step out on their balconies and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We held my daughters wedding on the beach and rented the Neptune room and the deck. it was beautiful, Shannon and her staff was wonderful helping with our every need ! I rented the suite and it was just what we needed with family to entertain. Breakfast was wonderful and the girls working in the kitchen were great.
We had Mulligans cater the dinner and it was best food. this is a must try for dinner !
We had a couple of problems, such as our suite was not ready to check into so we had to move rooms the next day which was a pain but Shannon made it up to us and there was booking problem for our guests after our block of room ran over. But Shannon and Jamie solved this and our guests were happy so we were happy.

We have already been asked for Shannons phone number to plan a couple of weddding in the future.

the only problem is having to check out at 11:00 (so is everyone else) it was time consuming to check out of the hotel and the traffic getting out on the beach road was unbelivable ! 2 hours
we are looking into planning a family vacation here for next summer.
We loved our stay ! and our guests are still taking about that weekend
A proud momma.

Room Tip: The Balcony rooms are worth it ! we slept with the door open to hear the waves.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jenni S, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing our Comfort Inn to have your daughter's wedding! Our sales department and staff try to bring personal attention to every guest and event we have the pleasure of having here. We are very pleased that you received that attention and interaction. We apologize for the issues you did have and are happy they were resolved. Thank you so much for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks!
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The view from our balcony was it's main saving grace. While the front desk staff are great, the breakfast buffet is terrible. The selection and quality was poor and they ran out of a lot of stuff. The phone in our room was broken, and a promised staffer to repair a message light that wouldn't go out never materialized. This is an older property, and the lack of maintenance and care shows. There's no other high rise around this section of the beach, but other parts are just as nice and have better alternatives.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I know other readers take cues from guests like you. I apologize you had a less than pleasant experience while visiting our hotel in Nags Head, N.C. Please give us another chance. We would love the opportunity to dazzle you and show you what a great hotel we have.

Jenni Sawyer
Woodstock, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am weary of hotels that have badly functioning air conditioning. If you don't mind being unable to cool your room at night adequately and you can overlook windows that haven't been cleaned in way too long this might be the place for you. It is run down. I tried to clean the salt off our window to find it was covered with mist from a careless spray painting operation. The view and location were great and the room was clean enough but I couldn't get enough hot water one morning. The beds seemed to be on the wrong wall and there was only about a foot between one of the and the door to the balcony. They should show some more care.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I apologize you had a less than pleasant experience while staying with us. We did recently have our exterior of the building painted, so I will check on the overspray you mentioned on the window. Thank you for letting us know so we may correct this issue. I am sorry you had to try and clean the window yourself, we are always happy to assist with any request to make our guests stay more comfortable. Unfortunately the windows are a constant battle with being located so close to the beach and the salt air that comes with it. Thank you again for your review and please consider giving us another chance. We would love the opportunity to accommodate your vacation needs and show you what a great hotel we have.

Jenni Sawyer
Topsail Island, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

After a recent stay at the Comfort Inn South, I discovered that I had left my flash drive. It holds all of my teaching resources and lessons and is invaluable to me. After a frantic two days I received a phone call letting me know that Rosie, had found it while cleaning the room and had turned it in. They were able to send it to me. So besides very comfortable accommodations, their honesty and customer service are to be applauded.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manassas Park, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We recently stayed here to attend a wedding being held at the hotel. The location was wonderful with a beautiful view from our oceanfront room! The balcony was very pleasant and I could have spent hours there. We did have some problems with the lock on our door(it wouldn't lock and could be pushed open) and the air conditioner malfunctioned our last night there. However, the staff showed sincere concern for our problems and immediately began trying to rectify them. I had the pleasure of meeting an employee named Natalie who was determined to make the "bad" part of our stay "right"!! She was not satisfied until she was convinced she had done enough to make us want to return to the hotel for a future stay. She was successful and we will certainly return!

Room Tip: Pay the small increase in rates for an oceanfront room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!