“Don't pay the high price for this property - It is not worth it!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Elkview, West Virginia
“Don't pay the high price for this property - It is not worth it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just your average Comfort Inn. I wished the reservation personal would have told us that they were remodeling - we probably would not have stayed. The hotel is old and they had remodeled the rooms but it still needs a lot of work. A lot of work! I certainly would not recommended this hotel for $199 or higher a night that they ask for the weekends. That is a ripe off. Destini at the front desk was very helpful. Breakfast was nice, but the staff had a hard time keeping up with supply, it was hot in the area, and I would hate to see it during pike season. The comfort Inn hotel chain seems to have really gone downhill. When you make a reservation you don't know what you will find when you check in. Always check tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Oceanfront did have beautiful views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Well I'm truly not one to complain, but I felt compelled to share my experience here with everyone else. This hotel is a dump - and that's coming from someone who is used to $50 hotels. Granted, they were in the midst of renovations, but that's no excuse for waking up with paint chips on our bed and they didn't have to start work at 8am on a weekend. And that was the least of it. Our biggest complaint this weekend was the fact that numerous times throughout our stay we would go to our room to find it unlocked. The door lock was apparently completely broken and would not lock when we left the room. The staff was suprisingly unconcerned that our valuables were available for any one to take. That was apparent after they claimed three separate times that they were "sending the maintenance man up right now to fix it" and he never came. Yes, they did comp one of our nights and move us to a different room, but not without more than 5 visits to the front desk and a very unpleasant experience with the general manager. Me being a very polite person, I was appalled by the attitude I received from the general manager. She was extremely rude and defensive and was very hesitant to give us a discount, even though it was obviously well deserved. A manager should be here to keep their customers happy, not treat them like crap. However, the rest of the staff seemed quite nice. Also, there is obvious water damage on the walls of the rooms, both that we stayed in. Although there's no obvious stench in the room, there's definite mildew and deterioration. Also, my shower turned ice cold after 10 minutes. All in all, this hotel is a rip off, and I hope I have saved you the headache of having to deal with this dump.

• Stayed May 2013
Pleasant Garden, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend. There were renovations in progress and from what it appears, they were much needed. Our room was upgraded to a king with oceanfront. The bed was most comfortable and the view was beautiful. The breakfast was a great selling point. Some cons include minor things such as no towel rods in the bathroom (unknown if they were going to be installed later), the shower drain broke, and the wifi was a weak on the 4th floor. These minor cons were not enough for me to downgrade the hotel. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Martha B, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I do agree with you about the towel rods, we are still in the process of putting the finishing touches on the bathrooms. We are striving to improve the hotel and I am so thrilled you enjoyed your stay, we hope you will visit again in the near future.

Martha Brake
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here on Saturday and really liked it. We had a bayview room on the 6th floor which had an awesome view of the sound and also a view of the ocean. The room was renovated and was fairly large. The breakfast was awesome, it had a good assortment of breakfast foods and make your own waffles. Would love to come back and get an oceanfront room!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and we are extremely happy you decided to stay with us. We are striving every day to improve our property, we hope you will return when the work has finished at the hotel.

Thank you again for staying at the Comfort Inn South, Oceanfront, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Martha Brake
Cedar Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We got a groupon to stay here. Before leaving I read some of the reviews. Yes, it is in the process of refurbishing, but doing a mighty fine job of it. We had a room on the 7th floor with an awesome view. The room itself was very nice, bed was fine, bathroom was newly redone. We were very happy with the place. Like others stated, the water pressure wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't bad and not a problem. The breakfast area was clean and well stocked. Breakfast was good and even the in-room coffee was good.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in a just renovated "suite," and by just renovated they must mean just painted. The place honestly looks like it hasn't been touched since the 70's. Black tile, in room hottub, sorrounded by mirrors with gold trim, gold sink. The swimming pool outside has been drained and is being used as an ashtray. I will let you use your imagination on the rest of the property.

• Stayed March 2013
Martha B, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Good Day,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate any and all reviews. As for your suite, I do agree the hot tub is outdated, we are in the process of removing it during our renovation, however, we were unable to do so before the weekend. We have just completed putting a new vanity and granite in the suite's bathroom, as well, a new headboard, a new dresser, new tables, and night stands. As for the swimming pool, maybe we were a little premature in removing the cover, we have a constant battle with the sand all around the hotel due to the wind.

Thank again for staying with us and your review, we hope you will consider staying us again upon completion of our renovations of the hotel.

Martha Brake, Manger
Nags Head, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Planning a wedding they say is never easy, but I have to say my experience was just the opposite. The Comfort Inn South in Nags Head was the perfect venue & I knew it the minute I walked into the room! I wanted my guests to be able to enjoy the beauty of the Outer Banks, and the set up at Comfort Inn was just what I wanted. The banquet room was the perfect size to accompany my guests and all of the other necessities, and the windows looking out over the deck to the beach provided a beautiful view. We were able to utilize the deck to set up an outside bar and orderves table, and my guests loved being outside to enjoy the cocktail hour and reception. The staff at Comfort Inn was more than willing to work with us on everything we needed to accomplish. They even let us book their breakfast room at last minute, so that we could have the rehearsal dinner there. This worked out especially well, considering most guests stayed at the hotel. The day of the wedding, Shannon was there to make sure everything ran as smooth as possible, and it did! I cannot thank them enough & I would recommend this beautiful venue to anyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!