“Great location, horrible hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Nags Head
Massachusetts
“Great location, horrible hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

This hotel has an incredible location right on the beach in Nag's Head. We had friendly and helpful people at the front desk during check in and out. That is where the good part of the experience ended. It is badly in need of renovation and CLEANING! The draperies, rugs and bathroom were all dirty. The plaster on the walls is crumbling around the windows. The sheets were all wrinkled leaving me to wonder if someone had slept in them before us. The pillows were old and inadequate, ditto the mattresses.
The breakfast room was crowded and airless. The deck was beautiful, right on the ocean and we took our food out there, but the furniture was uncomfortable and scattered all over the place. What a mess!!
Way past the time to put some money into this place. We often stay in Comfort Inns and have never been this disappointed. Also, my #1 complaint-not being able to even crack open a window for a cool ocean breeze.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Central VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

Where do I start? There was just SO MANY things that were WRONG with this hotel.
1.) Odor on our floor - I tolerated this though because the hotel was right on the beach and there is a LOT of moisture in the air. . . .EVEN THOUGH I'm allergic to mold!!
2.) Paint peeling off the walls in the hallway AND in the room.
3.) Hardly any water pressure from the shower. My husband's comment was simply, "That shower SUCKS!!!!"
4.) Air conditioner barely cooled the room off. We had it on MAX and it wasn't even worth having it on. I woke up sweating. I was just grateful that our visit was in Sept. instead of MID-JULY or something. I don't know how people would have stood it then.
5.) Our double beds were TERRIBLE!! My husband commented about his SORE back every morning he woke up.

I wouldn't even have written this review if it weren't for this LAST situation - - - - -
6.) I woke up the last morning there to find a roach crawling on the oposing wall. I cringed but got up and started packing. MOMENTS later, I looked down on the bed I had JUST gotten up from and there was a roach crawling on my blanket (that I had brought from home). I screamed, shook him off, gathered my things, and went down to check out. I didn't even put my make-up on before I left the room.

I normally and VERY tolerant of things and don't normally complain BUT, the roaches got it for me. That was the LAST STRAW!!!!

My Uncle & Aunt stayed at the Beacon Motor Lodge. [--] They said that place was very clean & nice. . . and they are PICKY people. They said that it was an older hotel but CLEAN!!! I will most likely stay HERE if I ever return to Nags Head.

I wish I had taken pictures of all of these problems. . .I would have posted them.

• Liked — The GORGEOUS views
  • Disliked — The ROACHES
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We read a lot of the glowing spring reviews on here, and so the place sounded GREAT! Not so much. Pretty rundown and grungy. The bathrooms were really gross. The breakfast room was hot and muggy, with no air conditioning. We asked for a rollaway bed, and they brought us one with DIRTY SHEETS from someone else the night before.

What this place has going for it is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. The view from our sixth floor room was killer, and beach access was quick and easy. It needs to be gutted and rebuilt on the inside, but really, the view and location made it all worthwhile. And frankly, many of the other area properties didn't look much better kept up.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of June. We had oceanfront room with balcony and view was nice. From there, it was downhill. Elevators were very slow, rooms and public areas were in desparate need of renovation (carpets were torn, buckling and dirty). Access to the beach was difficult via the path provided by the hotel. Most people went out the front door and walked through the parking lot rather than go through the hotel's path. Room sink backed up. Sand in the room from the first day was still there after cleaning the second day. Manager was rude when I complained, telling me to check out and stay somewhere else. When I made this reservation, I did not have access to a computer or Trip Advisor comments and based choice on AAA book. Never again. Room was definitely not worth the high price based on the cleanliness and attitude. Stay elsewhere in Nags Head!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Purcellville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed there for the OBX Wedding Expo at the beginning of Jan 2007.

The view from the room was breathtaking as we had an oceanview, so we could take in the sounds and smells of the ocean.

Overall it was clean, but there was a lot of work going on so the hotel's pool was closed and there were a lot of places marked off for construction, some of it due to the hurricanes.

From what I remember the hotel itself was clean, the service and attitudes of the employees were great.

I would stay there again, pending it wasn't still under construction/renovations.

• Liked — Location, view, price, service
  • Disliked — Under renovations at the time
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Granted the location (right on the beach) is excellent, but this is one property that probably should be condemned. The place is literally falling apart! Forget the elevator...If it's prime season, you could spend your whole vacation waiting for it. Take the stairs, but be careful they don't crumble apart when you put your weight on them. The rooms are small and extremely outdated. The beds have the ever-popular crinkly mattress pad on them. Even the rooms on the top floor with the balconies are in very sorry shape! To top it all off, the service is awful. The breakfast lady began closing up a good 15 minutes before the announced time. I asked for a bagel since the line to get waffles was at least 20 minutes long. She told there weren't any more. When I pointed out an enormous unopened package of them behind the counter, she snootily replied, "Those are for tomorrow." I went to the desk to complain, but the line of people checking out/in was also at least 20 minutes long. I paid $260 a night for this trash heap. I hope others won't, but seeing as how the hotel was sold out for the next two weeks, I'm sure others will be duped as well!

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Everything but the view.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

We had GREAT views for the fireworks of Nags Head, Manteo, & the whole area.

BUT the windows leaked from a thunderstorm- and they didn't do anything but throw a towel down on the carpet. We had to move stuff so it didn't get wet plus listen to the water drip in. There was water in the stairwells. The guy we reported to was new & didn't really know what to do. It was our first night-they put us in oceanfront because the room we reserved was occupied. So they were nice to do this only it backfired.

THEN, I found cockroaches under the coffee pot on the refrigerator.

AND I found trash under the bed from someone else's stay.

AND it was COLD in the pool in July --I guess they can't control that without a heater. They need one.

• Liked — view of July 4th fireworks
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!