“Cakes and Pies and Cookies; oh, my!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 73 restaurants in Mount Airy
Cuisines: Bakery
Description: we are mount airy, north carolina's best kept secret in the south.....we do pie art, gourmet cakes for all occasions, cookies as big as your face, fruit danish and turnovers from our orchard, fresh breads and rolls daily, and the best pies in the state....we have been on tv july of 2013 for AMC Showville as a contestant, we were the ANA Agritourism guest speakers 2013, and were featured in Bake Magazine 2013.
North Carolina
“Cakes and Pies and Cookies; oh, my!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We saw this bakery for the first time this past week on a trip through the area. When we went in, the immediate reaction was to the smell of warm chocolate...heavenly! (Of course, I guess it would be heavenly if named "Miss Angels", wouldn't it??) We purchased a variety of several small pies, turnovers, NY crumb cake, petit fours, etc. (there were 4 of us), all made fresh from scratch with no preservatives! Didn't now how soon we'd get there again, so will freeze some of the things for future use. The best thing is that the pies tasted naturally sweet, not overly sweetened like many commercial products on the market. The crust was perfect...nice quality and texture, very tasty and golden brown....maybe even better than Grandma used to make! (Sorry, Grandma Kittie...) They are perfect alone (although I might add a little cheddar cheese to the top of the apple if heating it...my personal preference), and they would also be perfect heated and served with ice cream without giving you a sugar rush. The petit fours, also made from scratch (which you don't see very often in our local bakeries), were delicious and pretty -- great for a party, shower, etc. We were interested in mail order possibilities because we like to ship NC-made consumables to family on the west coast for the holidays. Miss Angels is doing that now, too. They explained that things are partially frozen and sent 2-day shipping via UPS so they arrive fresh although no preservatives are used. Checked out their pie prices today on their website, which I think are good for the exceptional quality and decorative pies they have. They also told use they will do specially decorated pies for holidays with crust designs done in colored dough, etc. Can't wait to see those options! This was a great first-time experience for a place we just "happened upon", and will be the reason for driving to Mt. Airy in future, I'm sure. The front retail area of the bakery is a little small, being located in one of the historic downtown buildings. I'm thinking they're going to need a bigger location soon because this business is going to boom!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
AngelaNolfo, Manager at Miss Angels Heavenly Pies, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
You really made an angel very happy to see such kind words, we strive to make people happy so glad we did you

77% Recommend
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Decent little shop, I have a feeling the desserts are hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I took the wife on a tour of "Mayberry", and we ended up hitting a lot of shops while we were there, Miss Angel's being one of them. I was gunning for a dessert place to grab some sweets and take home to our hotel room to have later.

We ended up grabbing a couple of pies. The shop itself was small but full of different pies, brownies, puddings, cookies, turnovers, cake, you name it. Prices are very reasonable.

As for the pies? They looked great, but they didn't taste as good as they looked. Much of that had to do with the crust. Just my personal opinion, but the crust wasn't crusty enough. Too soggy and gummy for me. The top of the pie was just alright. I ended up eating the top of the crust and the filling, but left the rest alone. Still, I imagine if I got the same thing in a turnover, I would've been all over it, and other desserts may be executed better as well. Give it a try when you're down in Mt. Airy!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
AngelaNolfo, Owner at Miss Angels Heavenly Pies, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
thank you for your review, come back anytime
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stopped by and purchased the best pecan pie ever! Great selection of cakes, pies and great sweet stuff. We met Miss Angel and she was sweet too!!! Would definitely recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
thank you so much for enjoying and the great review, come back next time for a free turnover
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stopped in for something sweet for my birthday on June 5th. Everything looked & smelled great!! The cupcakes we bought were delicious!! The owner was nice enough to give me a turnover for my birthday. We really enjoyed chatting with her. Next time you're in the area, pop in for a treat. You'll be very glad you did!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
AngelaNolfo, Owner at Miss Angels Heavenly Pies, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Apex
“Outstanding sweets bakery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by how good my choc iced choc cupcake was. Hope to go back today to try something else. It's a tiny little place with standing room only.

• Visited May 2013