“Tourist destination with very hometown feel” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Mount Airy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Description: Old fashioned soda fountain - new ownership - use old fashioned glass bowls/dishes. Also serve hotdogs and a couple of other small sandwiches.
“Tourist destination with very hometown feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Awesome soda shop owned and operated by a nice down to earth couple. Very friendly folks. Great sandwiches and desserts! Worth a visit when your in town.

• Visited April 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“First Rate Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stopped by Mt. Airy during a trip to the Stone Mountain State Park. I decided to stop at the Mayberry Soda Fountain for some ice cream. I had tried it before during the Autumn Leaves festival in October. The place was packed at that time, but, even so, the service was pretty good. So good, that it impressed me a great deal. The service impressed me just as much during my second visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Randleman, North Carolina
“Nice family day trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me, my wife, and my little girl took a Sunday day trip up to Mount Airy to see Mayberry on 2/24/13. We were disappointed that Trio's was closed but as the owner of the Mayberry Soda Shop told us that on Sundays they pretty much roll up the side walks in Mount Airy. The feeling you get when you walk in the door is second to none, it really feels like you are stepping back into the 50's (I assume as we are 29 ;). We came in and had a seat and the owner and his wife were working and were both very nice and personable people. The gentlemen sat down with us while I enjoyed my chocolate malt, my wife her bottled RC Cola, and we shared a HOMEMADE chicken salad sandwich. Don't ask for fries, they ain't got 'em, lol, they have chips, BBQ or Plain. Don't worry, the lack of fries is made up for by the hand mixed sodas, hand spun shakes, and home made food! The owner even pointed us to Trios to eat LOL. You can't ask for a nicer couple and a nicer experience. You must stop here and have a malt, shake, or what ever makes your day. It's nice to step back in time a bit!!

• Visited February 2013
AvidTraveler57
“Hard to Pick What to Order!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is an original soda fountain that brings back good old fashioned memories. I had a pineapple soda and my husband had a banana split. Definitely tasted great & good prices also.

Wall opposite the soda fountain used to be the drug store & if you walk over and look carefully, you can see different words painted over--such as the shampoo section.

Fun time!

• Visited February 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a malted!! What a neat experience...enjoyed our time at the Mayberry Soda Fountain. Bought candy at the candy counter that I hadn't seen in years! Fun, Fun, Fun!!

Visited April 2012