“Great Room, Go to Depot in Dobson for Dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1320 EMS Drive, Mount Airy, NC 27030   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Mount Airy
Kaiserslautern
“Great Room, Go to Depot in Dobson for Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were visiting Mt Airy on the way to another location. The property is probably less than five years old. Carolyn was the Desk Clerk at night and was an excellent hostess. The room was great and WIFI signal strong. During the week they have a hospitality hour with local wine, beer and snacks. The hostess for the hospitality hour recommended The Depot restaurant in Dobson for dinner. It is about a ten minute drive. The Depot is a remarkable restaurant and property that we thoroughly enjoyed. Their website is www.codycreek.net . Lisa was out waitress and was a joy. Also, if you have time, go on the Cruise Mayberry police car tour whose website is www.tourmayberry.com . Mount Airy is a great place to stop for a day enroute.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Yes, you are correct that the hotel is less than five years old. We actually opened December 30, 2010.

I am so happy that Carolyn exceeded your expectations when you checked in and throughout the night and stopped by our manager’s reception.

You are so correct that The Depot Restaurant is an excellent place for dinning.

If your travel needs take you through the Mount Airy, North Carolina in the near future, I hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I recently took a 10 day trip to visit several states. On the way home we decide to stop in Mayberry (Mount Airy) to pay our respect to the late Andy Griffith. I found out that there was a new Holiday Inn in the area and called to see if they had availability. They did so we went on over.
The front desk clerk was very friendly and the check-in process went smoothly and fast. There are four floors at this hotel and we stayed on the 4th. I must say, it was kind of bothersome that there was only one elevator. It was a problem when everyone was checking out the next morning.
Besides this, it was perfect. When we opened the door to our room I said, "Wow ... look at the size of this room!" My husband said, "This is the best room that we have had the whole 10 days we have been on the road."
Like I said, it is new and you can tell it.
The beds were comfy and just right for us. We had two queen beds.
Also, there is a breakfast the next morning that we enjoyed.
I would definitely visit this cute little town again and I would most definitely stay at this Holiday Inn. I have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your most recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express in Mount Airy, North Carolina and you had the chance to pay your respects for the family of Andy Griffith. It is truly a tough time for all of us in Mount Airy.

I am so happy that our front desk staff was able to exceed your expectations and your comment regarding the size of your room. We get many comments from our guests on the comfort of our beds.

The elevator can be slow at times during peak times during check-in and check-out times. I am truly sorry that you had to experience it.

Finally I am so happy that you have recommended us to your friends and I hope to see you again if your future travels take you through Mount Airy, North Carolina.
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express 1 night on our way to TN. We found our room clean and in perfect order. The beds were comfortable (we had a two queen bed room). The location is good with many restaurants close by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comment for your stay at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Mt. Airy, NC. There is nothing any nicer than having a wonderful nights sleep while traveling. We hope you enjoyed the nearby restaurants and the easy access on and off the interstate. We look forward to seeing you again as you travel thru our area.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Spotless - both the room and common areas! Bed was comfortable, bathroom great, and breakfast was excellent, both in quality and variety. LOTS of conveniently-located plugs to charge your electronics. Wi-Fi was free, worked great, and was reasonably fast. The only thing that would make the hotel better would be if it had a restaurant and bar in the hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your stay while you were in Mount Airy. You are correct that we made sure that we have enough plug in areas in each guest room for everyones electronics.

Regarding your comment about a restaurant and bar in the hotel. The franchisor (Intercontinental Hotels Group) does not allow a restarurant or bar in a Holiday Inn Express Hotel.

Again thank you for your excellent comments and hope to see you soon if your traveles take you through Mount Airy, North Carolina.
Louisville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Check-In was smooth and quick even though they were very busy at the front desk. The room was nice when we walked in but we found several issues with our room during our stay: There was a hair in the sheets and a hair on one of the towels, the toilet seat would not stay up, and there was a lot of noise coming from the floor above us throughout the night. We visited the pool in the evening and there were several kids running around and jumping/diving in the pool. (This is due to lack of parent supervision, not the hotel's fault.)
Perhaps if all the housekeepers would wear some sort of hair net, the hairs issue would go away. Also, the toilet seat could be easily replaced. If I stay here again in the future and these issues are corrected, I'll revise my rating. I would suggest requesting a top floor room to avoid noise issues from above.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor to avoid noise from the room above.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions. Regarding the cleaning issues I have addresses with my housekeeping staff. We do a monthly preventive maintenance program throughout the hotel guest rooms and I have discussed with our maintenance staff to pay close attention to the commode seats.

I understand your comment regarding hearing footsteps above your room. At times it is very hard to control this. Some guest walk soft across floor and some just stump across the floor. They may not realize they are walking hard but it just happens.

I do hope you give us another try if you are through the Mount Airy, NC area in the future.
Hico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel was clean, quiet and in a great location. Had hot coffee and tea all night in the breakfast area. The breakfast was amazing for a hotel, sooooo many choices of food to eat. Would definitely choose this hotel again if in that area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for the wondeful comment regarding our hotel. You are right that the Holiday Inn Express breakfast has so many amazing choices to offer for breakfast.

I do hope to see you in the near future if your travels take you through Mount Airy.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Very helpful staff. Large parking lot. Clean comfortable rooms. Manager reception during weeknights was pleasant surprise offering beer, wine or soft drinks. However, pretzels with dip was a little skimpy. The breakfast consisted of toast, bagels, ham, sweet rolls, muffins, orange juice and coffee. A word of advice though, avoid the Mexican omelet...yuk!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South? Share your experiences!