“New cook staff needed” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 128 Restaurants in Morrisville
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Pizza & Pasta, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Handcrafted daily, fresh pasta, pizza, chicken, seafood, steak, veal and desserts. Extensive wine bar, gluten-free menu. Patio dining and fire pits.
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“New cook staff needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Lovely restaurant, good wait staff, food disappointing. We took family from out of town to dinner there and three plates were over cooked and red sauce not so good. If you want to keep business and remain open, so something about the cooks.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food, friendly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

After a rocky first visit, we have loved our 2nd, 3rd and 4th meals here - both dinner and lunch. It's a warm environment inside and has a nice outdoor bar and seating area. Salads are great, appetizers delicious (especially Italian Nachos and crab cakes) and a variety of entrees were enjoyed. Nice lunch menu too. We are grateful for this addition to our local dining options.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“1st visit great, 2nd visit not so much...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

In fairness, my first visit a couple of months ago was very good. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. That's the reason this review is not "poor". And in all fairness, I will give it another chance.

A Saturday night, wonderful weather, so my friend and I asked for outdoor seating. Wait was 25 min. but we could sit in the fire pit area outside and have appetizers and drinks. Sounded like a good idea. We found a seat and at least 15 min. later a waiter asked if we would like a drink. This was the conversation: "Well just tell me what you like and we may not have to do that." "OK, a red blend maybe?" "Don't think we have those" "OK, well a shiraz?" "Not sure we have those" "Well how about a cabernet?" "We have a lot of those. I will get you a menu." A few minutes later, I ordered a glass of shiraz and then, before my friend could order, the hostess said our table was ready. So we moved to our table thinking our drink order would be taken there. The same waiter greeted us at our table a few minutes later with menus and two glasses of the wine I had ordered! We were going to get a bottle, but I guess we weren't now.

I asked for the gluten free menu. "I'm not sure we have one." "You do, because I have been here before and have ordered from it." "Well just order from the regular menu because you can order ANYTHING and we can prepare it gluten free!" I was simply dumbfounded at this point! So to cut to the chase I ordered something I knew had been on the gluten free menu before, hoping it would be prepared as such and my friend ordered the sea bass. Mine was the Sinatra Chicken and it was just mediocre. The chicken was overcooked. The sea bass was inedible! It tasted like it had either been cooked in rancid oil or was just a bad piece of fish! You would have thought when his plate was removed from the table and almost the entire piece of fish was still there, someone would have asked??? Was something wrong with your meal???

So to sum up...This restaurant has a wonderful ambience inside and the outside eating area is perfect with two gas powered fire pits and seating for dinner. I want to love this place so I will go again. I hope my third visit lives up to the experience I had on my first visit. Two words of advice: Insist on the gluten free menu. They have a very, very good one! And stay clear of the nice, tall, bald headed waiter!!!

I wanted to email the manager before writing this review, but there was no contact information on the website. So I hope he reads this and makes a few changes. Maybe even have one waiter just to serve the people outside wanting drinks and appetizer...especially on busy nights.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cary, NC
“Good Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had dinner here last night with 5 other business colleagues. The food was quite good. For starters, the fried lobster mac & cheese balls were very tasty. The bruschetta was below average, as it was mostly just tomatoes on bread. My main was the veal marsala, which was quite good. The veal was very tender and full of flavor. The pasta served with it could have used a little sauce on it (e.g., more of the marsala sauce). Very nice wine list with many choices below $40. Service was friendly and efficient.

They feature live music on Wednesday night, which was pretty good. It was just a little too loud at times, as we were trying to carry on some business discussion.

Overall, it was a good experience and Travinia is a nice addition to this part of Cary/Morrisville.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“New restaurant - Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great atmosphere. The restaurant opened this summer and is very well designed. Others have also found this gem. It was very crowded around 7:30 - 8:00.
The Grouper piccata with risotto was outstanding - tender and flavorful. The service was knowledgeable and attentive. Definitely a place where I will return.
There is also valet parking which is helpful.

• Visited July 2012