“Second stay as nice as the first” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Morrisville
Daphne, Alabama
“Second stay as nice as the first”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I had stayed and reviewed this hotel a few years ago, not long after it opened. This trip I was with a friend to attend the Eagles concert at the PNC Center and wanted something near the airport, convenient to the concert venue and close to restaurants and shopping. Cambria fit all of those bills.

The place is not easy to find for those unfamiliar with the area, but after staying there previously and having family in Morrisville and Cary, I had no problem finding it and everything was as great as the last time. The rooms are massive, with separate sleeping and living quarters, including two flat screen TVs in every room. There is a large desk with free high speed internet and a closet to hang clothes. The bathroom is large and has a curved shower curtain rod to add space to the shower.

Check-in was handled very quickly and efficiently. There was a problem with the room key cards not opening the door and a housekeeper who passed us in the hall even tried her master key without success, so we had to go back to the desk and request a new key, which worked after several tries. They sent a maintenance person to reprogram the lock, however we continued to have problems with the key and card every time we returned to the room. The mechanism needs to be replaced on that door.

We were able to sleep very well without any noise from the nearby airport and total darkness with the drapes closed. Because of the separation between the areas, I was able to wake up and get onto the computer while my date slept late without being disturbed by me using the computer.

The final morning, we ate the breakfast in the small on-site restaurant and found it to be very good and convenient. I felt it was a little over-priced at $9.99/person, but since we were in a rush to catch a flight, it more than satisfied and the quality and selection were excellent.

Overall, this is still my preferred place to stay in the Raleigh-Durham area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We are so happy we could be of service to you a second time!

Thank you for coming back to the Cambria Suites when you returned to the Raleigh / Durham area. We truly appreciate your business and the kind words!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My stay was not the best but not the worst. I had high expectations due to the high price. and one of the newest hotel in the area. Room was clean and neat. I had 2 issues;

1. could not adjust the room temp. to my comfort. Woke up many times because it got hot and when I turn it down couple of degrees it wouldn't turn on and room would get cold.
2. Was not notified that breakfast was not included and when I went down stairs, halfway done with eating I get a server giving me a bill. I think the staff should have warned guest's at check-in and also server's should warn guest's the moment they come in the breakfast area, instead of halfway into the breakfast.

I don't think I will be staying here if I had to spend over $100 and not get breakfast included.

Room Tip: 1. Stay on the lower level due to planes flying over. 2. Skip the breakfast. Not worth it!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are glad you found your suite to be clean, neet, and ready for you when you arrived. For some reason we have had a couple of issues with the HVAC wall controllers losing their programming and remaining either always on or always off. I think we have that issue solved now. We are sorry if you were uncomfortable because of it though.

Cambria does offer a large breakfast buffet, much more that a typical select service hotel, which is why there is a cost. That puts in line with the other brands, such as Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn which do as well. Certainly it was never our intent to catch someone by surprise, so we apologize as we might have communticated it better.

Even being an airport property, most of our guests report that the rarely ever hear the airplanes at RDU, and the airport doesn't operate all night either. Selecting a lower level room is an execellent suggestion though for guests that may be sensitive to it.

We hope to be of service to you again!
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay - albeit for one night. This hotel is very nice and my room was really comfortable and clean. Though my room was on 4th floor, and I was concerned that the sound of airplanes taking off will ruin my sleep - it wasn't the case to be. I slept like a baby.
It is in close proximity to RDU airport and local restaurants. I opted for breakfast buffet in the morning. There were a variety of options to choose from - bacon, omelette, fruits, gits, fried diced potatoes etc.
I'm a vegetarian who doesn’t even eat eggs. The server on buffet duty was kind and considerate enough to ask me if she could get pancakes for me instead. Employees are the assets that make or break an organization. This place seems to have employed great people. I'd definitely come back here for the hospitality, and the service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
We are really happy to have been of service to you, and glad you enjoyed the experience!

Being close to the airport you might think that noise would be a problem. For the great majority of our guests, their experience is very much the same as yours.... A Great Nights Sleep!

You are absolutely right too that our Associates make all the difference. Recently we have adopted a couple of really super customer service people, adding them to our already service focused staff. I suspect you ran across one of them already, and thank you for the feedback.

We sincerely hope to be of service to you again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

During the most recent winter storm, I was looking for a hotel close to the RDU airport. The Hilton Garden and Hyatt Place were full, so I thought I would try the Cambria Suites. It had not snowed in a full day, but the parking lot was covered in dangerously thick ice and slush. The staff was friendly and helpful at check in. When I arrived at my room, I was surprised at the size (looked like it could have used more furniture) and the temperature (Brrrrrrrrrrr). It took a great deal of time for the room to warm to a comfortable temperature. The exercise room and swimming facilities were in good shape. I had a pleasant sleep; although, the sheets did smell a bit like Clorox. I had made arrangements to catch the 5:30 a.m. shuttle to the airport. Other guests and several pilots were waiting for the shuttle. Several minutes after 5:30 one of the pilots inquired about a driver. The person working at the desk barely acknowledged him. Eventually we did have a driver and he did a good job getting us safely to the airport. When I returned to Raleigh, I had to call the hotel twice to successfully get picked up at the airport.
My stay was fine, but I may explore other options next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, and telling us about your stay. While we are glad you had an overall nice stay, we do apologize for missing on some of the exterior points of your overall experience. While the cold and the ice storm did set us back a little, we understand that regardless we need to provide a strong overall experience, which typically we do. I invite you to stay with again, and if you would like call me personally to make your arraingements.

I know we can present you a positive experience that will exceed all your expectations.
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Normally I fly out of RDU and stay at Cambria Suites for the stay,park,and fly several times a year and have recommended it to friends and family. In the past, I have been pleased with the staff and their efforts to make my stay comfortable and worry free. It started out well with the front desk staff on my arrival on Feb 10 locating me on the first floor as I had fallen on ice and had sprained my wrist so managing my bags on the elevator would have been a problem. My 108 had a broken alarm clock/radio so I called the front desk and asked for a wake up call at 5am. Got to the airport on the 5:30am shuttle along with a Delta Crew. So far so good. I arrive at RDU 11pm on Wed. Feb. 19 and call to ask for the shuttle to pick me up. I was told it would be about 5 minutes. Waited with another Delta Crew who were staying there for 20 min. no shuttle, crew leaves and takes a cab. I call and am told it will come in 5 minutes and they are on the way. I wait another 13 minutes and call back and am told he will be there in a few minutes. I ask how long and she says, I do not know where he is so I cannot tell you. I then say, well the Delta crew got tired of waiting and took a cab, I have to drive home 2+ hours(at this point I am considering staying another night) so I think maybe I had better take a cab. The front desk staff said, "do what you want" and hung up. I walk over to get a taxi and take it back to Cambria Suites and present the bill to the same staff person who hung up on me. She appears annoyed and states,"we are not supposed to pay for taxi's for people who park here", "we are full, have one van and the driver had to take someone to another hotel". Then she takes out $10. the taxi fare and angrily hands it to me saying sarcastically, "have a blessed day." Really, the customer who stayed and paid for a room, parking and pick up is considered
the problem? Really and then is blamed for waiting for a shuttle for over 30 minutes late at night, exhausted from flying accross the country, and then taking a taxi because she has to drive another 2+ hours home? Really? Sarcasim to "have a blessed day" as the customer leaves is necessary at 11:45 pm? This will be the last time I stay here or recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Bed in room 108 very hard and unfomfortable. Broken clock/radio, toilet seat sliding off (fixed it...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
First off we are truly sorry for the way we clearly missed the mark in providing you the experience you have typically received when you have stayed with us. While our shuttle transportation back and forth to the airport is usually very efficent, we apparently dropped the ball in your instance as well. While I am not sure of the exact cause of the situation that evening, we are responsible to provide the level of service our guests expect. Redirecting guests to a taxi service that we pay for when the shuttle is either tied up or over committed is one of the tools we use to keep our service level up.

We are sincerely sorry and aploogize for your experience. In hindsight it would seem we should have been able to answer your questions more accurately and certainly have been more polite. I think we should have reacted faster and gotten you back to our hotel with the taxi option sooner as well.

You apparently have stayed with us many times, so you know where service level typically is, and that this is not a typical experience. On your next opportunity traveling through the Raleigh / Durham airport I would invite you to contact me directly and allow me the opportunity to show you how much we have appreciated your business, and prove to you that we are still deserving of your trust.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I average about 100 nights per year in hotels thanks to business travel. Every time I am in Raleigh the Cambria suites is my only destination. They consistently meet a very high bar for service, decor, and of course lodging and dining. They staff there (front desk and restaurant/bar) seem engaged and always pleasant. I can say that for the past 3 years each and every month I experience a high quality stay. I have been a part of several big chain loyalty programs and still have top tier status with two. However I forgo those programs when in RDU. This Cambria suites is the only place I will stay when in Raleigh. When you get there, have a cocktail at night and make sure you enjoy the breakfast! It's the best you will find at a hotel in the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your awesome review, and thank you for being such a loyal customer. We are completely honored the we are your lodging of choice when you are in Raleigh, and proud we have been able to exceed your expectations for three years!
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to the RDU airport and the rooms are spacious and clean. Unfortunately the food left a lot to be desired. I arrived late and ordered with room service a safe Turkey Club Sandwich. The bread was toasted very dark, not much turkey and very little spread making it dry and lean. For breakfast the buffet eggs were very greasy (mixed with ham or bacon or something) so I figured I will go with safe oatmeal. Yikes, it looked like soup! Runny/watery with oats sort of floating like you might expect noodles to be in chicken noodle soup. I looked for a banana or something else but I gave up. Orange juice tasted like the cheap processed stuff so I gave up. Next time I will bring granola bars or something - or better yet walk over to the Sheraton next door for breakfast. Otherwise a nice stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the side opposite of the airport runway for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I have shared them with the staff, both in the hotel and the restaurant in order to make sure we are doing the proper job. I apologize to you that we failed to meet your expectations, especially with breakfast. We are glad that you enjoyed our guest suites, and we hope we will get an opportunity to show you that your first experience isn't typical of what our guests experience when they stay with us.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Been to Cambria Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport? Share your experiences!