“A Gem at These Rates” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wilmington, North Carolina
“A Gem at These Rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel was fairly recently renovated, its comfortable, clean and well located. You will need a vehicle but thats really true anywhere in the area. The restaurant is superior to most hotel restaurants, don't be afraid to dine there! The bar is absolutely wonderful, well lit, friendly staff (Sean the bar manager is a sweetheart) and exceptionally comfortable. Rooms are sizable and comfortable, amenities all work!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Tracy R,

Thank you so much for such a pleasant review of our hotel! We're glad that you enjoy our bar and our restaurant. We take great pride in the fact that we have a seasonal menu, made from fresh, local, ingredients. Thank you again, and we truly hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
tegl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Over the past several years I have been staying at this hotel and it has been one of the better experiences that I have had over my career which requires a lot of travel. The employees are very friendly and always willing to go the extra mile for their guests. The breakfast is always good and the wait staff is very friendly. Dinner is also good and they cater to business travelers by having a bar that you can sit at that has power and plenty of space to work and eat.

Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tegl,

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel! We're honored that we've had the opportunity to be your "home away from home" over the past several years, and hope to see you again very soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel while in Raleigh and absolutely loved it! Not sure what we loved most, the convenient location, the cleanliness of the hotel, the friendly staff, the comfortable beds, or the super clean pool and work out room. We will always recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying here on our next trip to the Raleigh Durham area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Denise V,

Thank you for your kind words about the Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh Durham Airport! I am so happy to hear that you loved your stay with us. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in need of accommodations in Raleigh-Durham.

Warmest regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel and had no problems. This time we stayed there due to the hotel being so close to the airport. We had a 5:50 am flight! Check in went smoothly, we had a nice room and a comfortable bed. I had a cold so used a lot of Kleenex which were like sandpaper unfortunately. The toilet is a good 3 feet away from the toilet paper roll, difficult as I am only 5 feet tall and don't have a long reach. When we got up at 3:45 to get ready for our flight, we ran the hot water for about 10 minutes but it never got even slightly warm. A cold shower was not what I wanted. When we mentioned it to the front desk staff, they didn't even apologize, just said that happens when you are up so early. As a Diamond member, I expected a least an apology.

• Stayed December 2012
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Mmbecker,

Although we are sorry to hear about your sub par experience at our hotel, we do appreciate your review. I have discussed the hot water issue with our Chief Engineer, as we all know that a cold shower first thing in the morning is not a good way to start your day! An apology should have been the first thing you heard from our front desk, and I am sorry that it was not. As a diamond member, we appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand, and to our hotel as you stated that you have stayed here previously. Upon your next stay with us, you will not find the same issues that you did during this stay, and we do hope that you provide us the opportunity to prove that to you. Thank you again!
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My assistant mistakenly booked me at this hilton garden inn instead of the one that I typically stay in at RTP. It looked fine, until I got into my room and discovered that the bedspread had some stains and the sheets looked as if they had been slept on prior. There was a used wash cloth in the bathroom and part of the bed dips down. I fell into the indent in the bed while I was sleeping.
I then decided to get room service and I cannot explain how terrible it was. I am still in shock that a some many things could go wrong for 2 nights.
If you have a choice, do not stay at this hotel.

A

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear BAE21,

We are incredibly regretful to hear that your stay with us was not excellent. We pride ourselves in the service that we provide to our guests, and it is upsetting to hear that you did not receive the excellent service that we attempt to provide to each and every guest. I have discussed your housekeeping and room service issues with our Executive Housekeeper and Food and Beverage Director, and they have also directly discussed the issues with their staffs. I have high hopes that you will provide us the opportunity to show you the incredible service that is typically provided to our guests, and can assure you that you will not experience the same issues on any future stay with us. We appreciate the review you provided, as it gives us a chance to fix any areas in which we are lacking. Thank you for your business, and again, please provide us the opportunity to prove to you the high standards that we hold.
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We always stay at this Hilton the night before our flights heading out for vacation. The hotel is right next to the long-term parking lot at the airport, but we have never had any issues with airplane noise. It literally takes 2 minutes to pull out of the parking lot and over to the long-term lot at the airport.

The hotel & our rooms have always been spotless and the staff are very nice. They have free breakfast; however, we always take very early flights out, so we have not had the chance to eat the breakfast yet.

Very reasonable rates already, but an even better rate if you have AAA or a corporate discount.

This has become our favorite RDU hotel and we will be staying here every time we fly out of RDU.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear jennmaybe,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that the Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport is your favorite hotel. I often tell clients that we are in the best airport location as it is rare to be so close to the airport but not be in the flight path. There are so few airport hotels where you can get a good night's rest!

Our breakfast has everything you can possible want from our cooked to order pancakes, waffles, French toast, eggs and omelets to sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, grits, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy. And don't forget our continental items including fruit, yogurt, pastries and more. All this for $9.95 and includes unlimited coffee, juices and coke products if that is your morning preference.

We look forward to hosting you before your next trip.

Safe travels,
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at this property during a recent visit to the Raleigh area. Like other business travelers, the expectations start simply with a safe, comfortable, and clean room. WiFi and some nearby restaurants are always a nice feature. All I can say is that this hotel failed on all fronts, with the exception of decent WiFi. As a frequent Hilton family hotel guest, I like being recognized as a "valued" member. When that didn't happen upon arrival, I should have known to turn around and find somewhere else to stay as my visit only went down hill from there. Front staff was rather unfriendly. The first thing I hear from the staff is a discussion amongst them about a room that needs to be re-cleaned because it is dirty and the sheets had make up and junk on them. Now that's not very comforting to an incoming guest. When I finally made it to my room, I found it odd that the front of the climate control unit was on the floor. I'm one of those people that make a quick check of the room for cleanliness and working toilet, shower, heat/air, etc. Everything seemed in order at first glance except of course for the grill on the heat/air unit. I put that back on and assumed all was well. Having come in rather late, I quickly left and sought dinner options. The only dining option other than the in hotel restaurant that is even remotely close is a Sheetz gas station. Everything else is about a 10 to 15 minute drive - thankfully I had a car and GPS as the front desk staff were of no help. After returning from dinner, I went back into my room and noticed some "left overs" from previous guests and called the front desk requesting a different room. The unpleasant staff member basically told me that I was out of luck because they were sold out. So much for the valued guest treatment! As the night wore on, it got quite cool outside, so I cranked up the heat in hopes that the unit would actually work. It kicked on and it seemed that all was well. At 1:30AM, my smoke detector starts going off as something was burning up in the heating unit. First off, thank God for the working smoke detector! It still pulled me to my senses and I quickly shut off the unit and was able to jimmy the window open a few inches to get the smell and light smoke out of the room. As one can imagine, I wasn't really able to relax enough to go back to sleep. Fast forward to my departure when I shared my horrible experiences with the gentleman staffing the morning desk. He was very apologetic and said he would "take care of me". Well it's been over a week and I haven't heard a word from anyone at the hotel. I did not report the issues in hopes of any gratuity; I simply wanted someone to know that the room should not be rented until repairs were made. I am very disappointed in the way matters were handled and the empty promises by the staff to the bitter end. I strongly suggest anyone considering staying at this property rethink that option and look at other nearby properties. Stay away!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Coach5000,
I regret to hear that you did not have a perfect stay at our hotel, as that is what you deserve as a valued HHonors member. I met with our Front Desk team, Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to discuss the issues experience while staying with us. We are working to correct these shortfalls to ensure that they do not happen again. We strive to keep all guests happy with fresh towels and linens daily. We have ordered new linens and are in the process of replacing our rooms with tired bedding. We do this on a continual basis to ensure guest’s satisfaction.
In regards to the heating unit, unfortunately due to your being the first guest to experience a cold Carolina night, the heater had not yet been used. As a result the dust had not burned off of the heating coil. This is a common occurrence and does create an odor. For that reason our Engineering department went through the entire hotel to remove the thin, but not dangerous dust.

I would like to personally reimburse your charges. If you would contact me, I will promptly take care of your charges and send you a refund receipt.
I can be reached at robin.warzywak@hilton.com.
Warmest regards,
Robin Warzywak

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport? Share your experiences!