The two great things that speak of quality as one enters this Hotel are: great beds (very true); and 100% guaranteed satisfaction or money back (all lies). About the later, quite shockingly, the immediate next experiences disappoint pretty bad, one after the other. Nothing that matters seemed right in this Hotel (so much so that we left it as soon as we could for another one). So, we wrote to the Hotel when they asked for a feedback and waited to hear from them (since they boast so much of their high standards and guaranteed satisfaction). I am not sure why would they not respond, let alone refund. Its been about a month since we wrote. So, now I feel I should share it here as is....an unresolved matter with the hotel management.
One point we forgot to mention in our feedback letter was related to the room key cards. They were sooooo annoying...we had to have them changed pretty much every day...and several times a day. How bad can those cards be? One wants to enter the room and relax after a hard day but in this Hotel, seems like one cannot do that without making at least 2 trips to the reception to get the cards re-charged or remade. That was one awful awful part of our experience....besides the horrible bathroom of course.
Anyway...here is what we wrote....
Dear Adrian Kurre,
Thank you for asking for feedback of my stay at Hilton. I really appreciate it. I do have something important to share, mostly (unfortunately) negative.My stay at Hilton has been surprisingly quite unsatisfactory, so much so that I had to switch to another Hotel in the middle of my stay. I had seen great reviews and I chose Hilton for the firm beds, which by the way, were great. My wife and myself observed the following in the Hotel:
1. Room: The room was not vacuum cleaned before we arrived as we felt all kinds of things sticking to our feet from the carpet. We had to ask the housekeeping to clean the next day.
2. Swimming pool and Whirlpool: they did not appear to be clean at all. My wife wanted to swim but just could not get over the looks of the pool. So she never swam. And we never really saw a single person swimming during our stay. The water was not clear at all. The whirlpool had some feather like things floating inside of them. I am not sure if that is normal, but we have seen much cleaner pools and Jacuzzis.
3. Fitness room: The TV on one of the machines was not working. The design of the room was annoying as the big TV was behind the machines instead of in front. It makes more sense to have the TV in front rather than at the back. There were just very few machines for such a big hotel. We seriously felt that there should have been more cardio machines. We did have to wait out for our turn.
4. Bathroom: The major problem was with the bathroom, which had two design flaws. One was that the towel rack, which is usually on the side of the shower area, was at the opposite corner. The room was without a bathtub so the bathroom literally flooded with water after each and every shower. Taking a shower was just impossible in that bathroom without creating a mess outside the shower area. Overall, the bathroom was poorly designed in pretty much every way (the granite slab was too small too).
We were given this room because it was bigger and our stay was longer (2 weeks). That was thoughtful indeed. But...
5. Beds: the only good part of this hotel was the beds. They were perfect.
6. Restaurant: This was good too. Had nice and friendly staff. Got us what we wanted, with a personal touch too.
7. Lost an item: So, after shifting out, we realised that we had left something behind. We called the housekeeping and they told us that our item was found and that we could collect from the front desk any day. When we arrived at the front desk, no one seemed to know anything about it. The housekeeping was gone for the day, so we waited about 10-15 minutes for the front desk to find it. No luck. Mr. Mark Rowl (a friendly and hard working old man) gave his assurance that the next day he will call or mail ...none of which happened. I do not blame Mr Mark as he keeps busy running around. But we did expect a call back or email from the front desk or housekeeping. Anyway, we called again to make sure that the item was actually there but we could not return to the Hotel as we had to leave NC the same day. Now, the problem here is that it would have been really professional if we were given a call by the Hotel. It was a small item and a Hotel like Hilton could have easily shipped it too. But there was no such gesture and we felt really bad about it. The item was useful but small and inexpensive. The gesture would have made all the difference.
So, all in all, our entire experience was quite bad with this Hotel. Our friends could not believe as everyone has had nicer experiences. May be we were just unlucky. But luck should not matter when we make a choice like Hilton, should it? We did see the 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back all over the Hotel but we were not sure of its conditions. If the above points qualify, we were only 20% satisfied.
Big rooms may have bathrooms without bath tubs....and loads of water drainage problems. Big mess usu...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
We are incredibly sorry to hear of the events that happenned during your stay. We strive to provide the best possible service to our guests. It is definitely regrettable to read that we were not able to implement the high standards we normally keep throughout your stay. We do thank you though for writing this review. Unfortunately, your letter to Hilton had not made its way down the ladder to us yet, and without your review we would still be unaware of the service failures that happenned during your stay. I can assure you that this is not the typical service that we provide, and we deeply regret that you had to experience any of this. We hope to one day be granted the opportunity to provide you the true Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport experience. Thank you again.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.