“Old Memories ~ New Memories” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
FL
“Old Memories ~ New Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My first memories of the King Street Cafe date back to 1999 when I relocated to Morganton for a teaching position. I had an incredible celebration dinner and fondly returned many times.

Fast forward to October 2013 and the discovery that this precious gem was once again serving up new memories. The food, the ambience, the service was outstanding. Chef Peter graciously came out to welcome us. The entire experience was wonderful. Looking forward to our return during the holidays.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Morganton
“King street cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Very good place to go . Took my wife there for our anniversary . Started with some of the best Escargo in a garlic buuter sauce. My wife had Duck and I had the steak .The portions was nice size and plenty to eat . The waitress we had was awesome

Visited September 2013
North Carolina
“Excellent food at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband's and my jaw dropped when we saw the low prices on the menu. I laughed at the previous post about the high pricing. For the gourmet level of the meals, we were ready to dance on the tables because of the excellent value. The choices were abundant and interesting. It's been a long time since I had a difficult time choosing because they all sounded so good. Very unexpected in Morganton.

The pork tenderloin special was excellent. Cooked perfectly with a slightly sweet glaze. The lamb chops were a little gamey, not like the New Zealand lamb chops that I'm used to but still enjoyable and the ginger, berry sauce was a great compliment. That was the only negative to the taste of the meal. The scalloped potatoes were the best the entire table (8) had ever tasted. We would have liked a larger portion. And there's no problem with mixing and matching dishes. If you want the sauce from another dish, no problem.

The desserts were amazing. The chocolate walnut pie with ice cream was the best, followed by the chess cake. The wine choices were good and again, the prices were excellent. They just got their liquor license, but stick with simple drinks. I think the mixed drinks were prepared straight from a book. The service was rocky as far as getting our salads and meals mixed up, however, the server was so down-to-earth and charming, no one really cared. We will definitely eat here again and recommend it to friends. It's a small restaurant so make reservations, especially if it's a large party.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Barcelona
“Another good restaurant in Morganton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

For a small town, we have an embarrassment of riches with three very good restaurants in town. King Street is a cozy restaurant in an old house with separate rooms to dine in. The ambiance is great, and the food is delicious. I read some of the negative reviews, but haven't found that myself. All of our experiences have been pleasing and worthy of more visitations.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I had brunch here yesterday. After reading the great reviews, I had very high expectations. I ordered a salad, chicken and waffles, a cheese crepe, and an ice cream "wafflewich" for dessert. The salad was very bland with a dressing that tasted mostly like mayonnaise. The chicken and waffles were tasty but mushy. The cheese crepe was supposed to be crispy and filled with ricotta, but instead was undercooked and overflowing with warm cottage cheese. The "wafflewich" was an inedible frozen eggo around a scoop of freezer burned rocky road. Perhaps they had an inexperienced chef that day. Regardless, I will not be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere