“Still one of my favorite fine dining restaurants” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Water Views
Morehead City, North Carolina
“Still one of my favorite fine dining restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Back after two years out of the country, I'm still impressed. Libby still runs an efficient operation, Tim still works his magic in the kitchen and Buddy always makes you feel special at the table. My guests and I have always had memorable meals here from fresh seafood to beef dishes, all with tasty side dishes. Glad I'm back to enjoy each opportunity to dine here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dodgeville
“Cheesy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I was quite surprised when I walked into this restaurant. I felt like a time traveler who had gone back to the 1940's or 50's and ended up in a cheesy lounge. The crooner at the piano, the dark, heavy velvet drapes - everything screamed cheesy and fake. Since I was alone I decided to just eat at the bar. The bartenders were very nice. The salad was great. But I couldn't wait to leave! I won't be going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Princeton, NJ
“Nice Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great seafood and very consistant quality. My favorates are anything with Grouper or Trigger fish. We were a group of 15 and no problems with service.

Visited July 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very good local seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This restaurant has one up and one down.

On the upside the food is very good and the portions are just the right size. We ate two times while visiting the area and had local catches both nights. The fish was expertly prepared. The restaurant also has a wide variety of cocktails.

On the downside - we waited two hours (yes) for our food; but it was partially our fault for not having reservations on a Saturday night during peak beach season. So, it's recommended to arrive early if possible with advanced reservations.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ForsythCounty, NC
“Another Very Good Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our party of ten enjoyed a very good meal at Bistro by the Sea last Wednesday, June 19. During our annual trips to the beach, we have eaten at this restaurant approximately every other summer during the past 14 years. Six of the seven times Buddy was our server, and he never fails to be pleasant, knowledgeable about the menu, and efficient in presenting the meals. Our choices included fresh salads, crab bisque, crab cakes, swordfish, lobster, herb crusted lionfish, filet mignon, and glazed beef tips. The food met or exceeded our expectations, which are based on never having had less than a good dining experience at this establishment run by Libby Eaton and Chef Tim Coyne.

• Visited June 2013