“big burritos” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 144 Restaurants in Matthews
Cuisines: Mexican
“big burritos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Better than avg Mex. with small cup of mex soup before meal and sopapilla as dessert. Coupons are available in local mailers. Never too crowded. Good Service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Matthews, North Carolina
“Authentic Mexican, Good Service, Nice Touches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The staff is very friendly and the restaurant has a very festive ambiance. We've eaten here 5 or 6 times and it has been reliably good each time. The staff tries hard to please...my daughter wanted a cheese quesadilla with white cheese...not American cheddar. It came as ordered and for the same price. Nice finishing touch when the bill is delivered...diners receive a complimentary dessert with cinnamon sugar, strawberry sauce and whipped cream. I've brought visiting family here when we were looking for a casual, quick meal and they enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Matthews, North Carolina
“Checked that block... The Good & Bad listed below”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was time to try the (fairly) new restaurant in downtown Matthews. This location has never been successful, but I think this location is doomed :( It was just "ok", but I REALLY don't think we will ever go back.

The Good:
They have cleaned the place up a LOT!
It looks good/
They Have made a lot of changes physically with the structure.
Even on a cold day it was cozy and no drafts from the door being open and closed.
Nice and Friendly
A lot of food for the money - good value

The Bad:
While I Love spicy food.... my 9 year old child could not handle the spicy salsa... choking and grabbing at her water.
And... as i said, I love spicy food.... but the rest of the food seemed bland.
Service was a bit slow and they were NO busy.
Child's Quesadilla had cheese melted on the top and our child did not like that or the rice and beans served - that covered the plate.

Upon being seated, we were greeted and given some sort of a bean soup. I tried it, it was ok... I added salsa and it was better... it was not really hot and cooled off to quickly in the plastic bowl. The 9 year old did not like it at all. I would be ok if I never had it again. I ate about 1/2 of mine and the hubby ate less.

The chips looked great, but no salt (even commented on by the 9 year old). The salsa did have Cilantro in it (which I love, but know some don't like), and it was ok, but not a lot of flavor. We were not super hungry and just ordered the children's Quesadilla (which came with a lot of rice and a lot of beans). One Taco which did come served nicely on the plate and one shredded beef Quesadilla. The Taco was ok... hard to mess that up. The Beef Quesadilla was a bit bland, but it did have a generous amount of meat in it. There was sour cream and a large spoonful of Guacamole on the plate which I used.

When we were finished and awaiting our bill, we were served a little desert chip with honey, cinnamon sugar and a squirt of whipped cream and some strawberry sauce.

All in all, it was ok, but there are so many other local options out there, that I would pick 2 or 3 other places before I would come back here... even if it meant driving a lot further. I ranked this "average", because I hesitate to rank something "Poor" unless it really is poor!

I hope this has been helpful, let me know if the review has helped! Thanks!

• Visited January 2013