“Great service, not for business traveler” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great service, not for business traveler”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was greeted upon arrival by a terrific front desk clerk. He was very able and extremely courteous. I wish I would have gotten his name to share in this review, he was that good. Truthfully, ALL the front desk staff were amazing. As was the breakfast area staff.

The breakfast was typical hotel fare, reasonably priced. I did not attend the manager's reception in my week there.

The rooms were typical Courtyard, meaning they were pleasant (the beds were not so good).

The Internet connection was worse that dial-up, and when I mentioned it I was told that maintenance would be alerted. Either they never were or they could not fix the problem. My line of work requires capable Internet, and even the most basic web pages would not load properly here.

The location is okay. I cannot imagine a vacation in this area, and it is no good for my business so I say pass on this hotel.

The rates are far too high for what you get.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Lang C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your concerns during your stay. It is with my deepest apologies and regret that you experienced problems with the internet during your stay with us.

Communication is key, and I apologize that the front desk agent did not follow through with you on the issue. Our general manager has since spoken to the agent and stressed the importance of communication with our guests as we strive towards service excellence. We understand the importance of the internet to our business traveler and I understand your frustration.

Just to update you-- our IT manager was contacted and the issue has been corrected. As a Marriott property, it is one of our top standards to provide high speed wireless internet at speeds that will impress. I hope that you will visit us again and see for yourself the improvements that have been made.

Thanks again, and please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you. We hope to see you soon.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cave Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights while visiting family & friends. Nice sized room with small refer,microwave, couch & work area - typical for Courtyards. This Courtyard hasn't renovated their lobby to the new standard, but it was well kept. Located right on Indpendence Blvd with the 485 just a half mile south made it easy to get around to the areas I needed. Ample numbers of restaurants in the area, but not in walking distance unless you just running next door to Taco Bell.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Very Nice Hotel. Very helpful and friendly staff. Every staff member greets you with a "good morning" or "good evening" every time they see you. Every time you enter the Hotel the desk staff says hello and ask if you need anything. The breakfast buffet is well worth the $9.00 a day but there are also several restaurants nearby if that is what you choose, Highway noise can be a bit much at times but not enough to stop me from using this Hotel again. My sleep quality rating was based on this. Rooms and Bathrooms are perfectly kept.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite of the highway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Gmaestro,

We hope all is well in Florida! Thank you so much for the kind review and for choosing to stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Sales Manager
Beaufort, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a well-kept Courtyard, with very polite and helpful staff, and it is just inside the beltway (485), and directly off of 74 making it extremely easy to get anywhere you need to go in the Charlotte area. I got 25% off when I booked, making it an excellent value for the price. Only a 4 due to the lack of a complimentary breakfast, and lack of an indoor pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for choosing to stay with us! Just a head's up for future travels... It is a Courtyard by Marriott brand standard to charge for breakfast. Make sure to check out our Stay For Breakfast rate next time. It is only $1 higher than our regular rate! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you back in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The staff at the front desk is well trained and knowledgeable about the area. The complimentary continental breakfast is a plus. It is also a plus that you can watch the NFL network in your room or in the lobby. The rooms are really spacious. I usually have a hard time falling a sleep in a hotel but here my head hit the pillow and I was out.

• Stayed November 2012
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you next time you are in the area!
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I'm glad I didn't see the negative reviews before booking. I'm someone who is particularly sensitive to smells and I would not have booked a room based on those remarks. However, our room was clean and I did not experience any problems with odors. I was a tad disappointed that there was not a complimentary continental breakfast but I appreciated the free wi-fi. Access to the hotel is the biggest problem because of the median.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers! Just to keep you in the loop, it is a Marriott mandate that all Courtyards must charge for breakfast. Please check out our "Stay for Breakfast" rates next time you are in the area. It charges just $1 over our regular rate so you are getting your breakfast for almost free! Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you next time you are in the area!
Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Found the hotel pleasant but not much better than average. I wouldn't say it was bad, but I wouldn't go a far as to consider it exceptional. The hotel is a bit dated and not in very well situated. I wanted to head into town one morning but it seemed really complicated to catch public transport from this location. I booked this hotel and location intentionally as this was where I needed to be for business, however, if I was to visit the area recreationally I would definitely reconsider the location. on the flip side, the people where friendly and helpful.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travelers. We appreciate our guests' feedback and value your opinion. Just to update you, we have room renovations scheduled in late 2013. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews? Share your experiences!